Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found that when I have my SSP set at either "feel" or "hear" that the sound gets distorted at high volumes. Now I understand that i'm working with stock speakers, but you'd think that this wouldn't happen considering I have the bass set at -5 (as low as it goes). Anyone else come across this? Also, does anyone else find it strange that the volume goes up to 62 and not a normal number like 60 or 50? Just found these to be odd...

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Hmm... mine is set on "feel" and "xb". I haven't noticed any distortions... but then again, I probably haven't turned my volume up high enough where I would hear any distortions.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have the same settings as imasaf and mine sounds fine. I haven't noticed any distortions.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have mine set to "tC" with Bass at 4 and Treble at 3. With mostly any song I can run it an near max or max with no distortion. The other settings (xA, xB) have different EQ curves and have the potential to distort if turned up really loud.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I have mine set at "hear" and "xA"...seems to work best for me. I usually only play it around 40-45 and don't have any problems.

I do remember a brochure I read about the tC...and it said something about the audio system not having the normal restraints on it like some systems do...because why would someone want to keep you from getting everything possible out of your system? If you want it loud, you can have it loud. I have the brochure at home and can type what it really said later if you want me to, just let me know... But I'm guessing that by them not "restricting it" that's maybe what you're hearing that you're not use to.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Originally posted by LoopyLady_1@Aug 4 2004, 08:25 AM
I have mine set at "hear" and "xA"...seems to work best for me. I usually only play it around 40-45 and don't have any problems.
Hahaha.... I feel so old now... even though I'm really not that old. I don't usually go above like 25.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Well, I think I'm just enjoying actually having a decent radio right now. It's much louder than I'd normally play it, just for driving around.

I like bumping it a bit right now though....gets the heads turning even more.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Originally posted by LoopyLady_1@Aug 4 2004, 11:25 AM
the highest i've gone was to 32.. but then i use the xA / Feel setup with Bass 2
Treble 4.. and at that volume the poor speakers can't handle the bass..

i'll have to give your setup a try or i guess lower the bass even more

or better yet go out and get me a proper setup

·
Registered
11 Posts
Scion Audio – Turn It Up

We tried to do something different with Scion audio - High power (160 watts maximum), different design (no knobs), and new features (Scion Sound Processing, 10 color display*)

We also wanted to deliver maximum value for your money. That's why there is no cassette deck included in any Scion audio system. You don't need it, you don't want it, and you shouldn't have to pay for it.

One of the other things that we have done clearly illustrates our philosophy. We removed the distortion limiter on all Scion audio. Most car companies include distortion limiters on their audio systems to eliminate any unpleasant sound at maximum volume. That doesn't matter if you don't like to listen to your music loud. But, if you do, you may feel that your choices have been limited, or that you are not getting the most out of your audio system since it has been artificially limited by someone else.

That is not the case with Scion audio. You can feel confident that you can squeeze every last drop of power out of your Scion audio system. We let you make the choice, rather than choose for you.

*Available on 6 Disc CD Changer audio unit only.[/b]
From the Scion website.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've played mine through the whole range of volumes. Sitting in the car, not moving in a quiet area, 15; cruising with the windows up or friends in the car it's usually 20-30; cruising, windows down, just having fun, 30 and above, depending on style of music and how I'm feeling about it (most rap I blast).

I'm using nothing but MP3-CD's though, and I blame most of my distortion on lower ripped MP3's. Usually I rip my cd's at 192kbps but back in the day I ripped around 128kbps so a lot of my older cd's sound horrible.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by imasaf@Aug 3 2004, 11:27 PM
Haha... here read this...

http://www.yoursciontc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=348
Thanks again! I think I remember reading about that! I'll mess around with it a bit. It could also have something to do with the fact that I listen to mostly Dance music with punchy bass as opposed to the rumble bass of rap music. Thanks for the info peeps!

·
Registered
675 Posts
Originally posted by spydirweb@Aug 4 2004, 11:19 AM
I've played mine through the whole range of volumes.  Sitting in the car, not moving in a quiet area, 15; cruising with the windows up or friends in the car it's usually 20-30; cruising, windows down, just having fun, 30 and above, depending on style of music and how I'm feeling about it (most rap I blast).

I'm using nothing but MP3-CD's though, and I blame most of my distortion on lower ripped MP3's.  Usually I rip my cd's at 192kbps but back in the day I ripped around 128kbps so a lot of my older cd's sound horrible.
there is a function on the radio to clean up MP3's.. called SRT (sound re-touch).. i played with it in the dealer's lot with some 128k encoded MP3's .. and it did work, it cleaned up the vocals, and added crispness to the treble.. to turn it on.. while an mp3 is playing go to the audio functions and turn on SRT (using the + - buttons).. see if that clears up the distortion..

·
Registered
793 Posts
Thanks jclay, that's what I was talking about.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I use SRT occasionally already but it doesn't do much for me. I've got an ear for music and hear very slight differences in somethings other's don't pick up on, I just don't show it like some people because it doesn't really bother me much.

all I'm doing is getting an aftermarket sub so I get more bass at sounds levels, because I honestly just love bass...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts