Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, I am waiting for my Scion to arrive, and I was going over all the options I wanted to put in it. My question was if I put Lojack in the car is it worth it to have the scion security system installed as well? I would figure both would be an overkill, but I just wanted to get your opinions. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
No. The Scion security system is not worth it even if you have no other security features on the car. There are other threads on this topic; try searching.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, I went the other way and just got the alarm, skipped the lojack (my insurance doesn't give me a discount for it anyway). But without the alarm, you won't be warned in the event of a break in, right?

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Warned by what?? The scion alarm sucks... i should know.
I heard somewhere that someone had their rear hatch window broken and the alarm didn't even go off.

On a personal note, I waxed my entire car with the alarm on and the only time it went off was when I bumped into the side view mirrors.

Since the car has the immobilizer chip thing... the robbers shouldn't be able to steal your car... just the stuff inside even if they manage to break into your car. I recommend saving the 500 bucks for a nice aftermarket alarm system.

·
Registered
25 Posts
it was i who hatch was smashed and it didn't go off. scion security is crap. it ONLY goes off if the doors are opened from inside if they have already been locked remotely. you heard me right. the dealer demoed it for me after i had already purchased it.

so of someone smashes your windows, flips your car over, bangs on hood nothing. but if they smash window and then reach in to open door, it goes off. that blows for $450. i probably could make a better system from parts at Radio Shack.

the only feature with scion that is worthy is ignition disabler which is standard.

you a re better off taking that $450 and buying ANY alarm system from Viper etc...,

·
Registered
42 Posts
Originally posted by dmarcoot@Sep 25 2004, 09:23 AM
it ONLY goes off if the doors are opened from inside if they have already been locked remotely. you heard me right. the dealer demoed it for me after i had already purchased it.
Sorry amigo, that's just not true! The dealer that installed/demo-ed yours must have been a dipshit. The Scion security has a glass break sensor, yours was either adjusted wrong or installed wrong. I can turn the sensitivity on mine so that a loud passing car or harley will set it off, a tap with the key on the window will EASILY set it off. As far as arming, it can be armed with the remote, the door "lock" switch, and it can be programmed to auto arm itself.

C'mon people, adjusting the sensitivity is so easy to do why have the dealer hacks do it?? If there's one thing that seems to show up time and time again on these forums, it's that the dealers mostly have their heads up their bung holes. Their job is to get you in and out as quickly as possible at the lowest possible cost. Most of these service guys are just waiting for the day to end, they don't give a rat's ass about your car.. Your dealer/service guy obviously knew nothing about the security system. The factory alarms work as advertised, the dealers are the ones who fail to get it to perform. [/rant]

The aftermarket units definately have more features than the Scion unit, but after installing the Scion unit myself I can say that it blends seamlessly with the factory keyless remote and factory wiring. Most of the better alarms require you to carry another key fob transmitter/reciever, something else to add to your keychain. I've seen the kind of work that installers like the big-box stores can do, they can really hack up the stock wiring, and you end up with dozens of rattles after a couple of months. Neither alarm would have prevented someone from braking your window, if the factory unit had been adjusted properly it would have behaved just like the aftermarket (except for a remote pager)

For those of you who have (or were "stuck") with the Scion alarm, it's not as bad as some would have you believe. Deposited my $.02

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
I paid $250 installed for a superior Viper alarm...

·
Premium Member
7,429 Posts
Originally posted by Ivben Blown+Sep 25 2004, 02:18 PM-->QUOTE (Ivben Blown @ Sep 25 2004, 02:18 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-dmarcoot
@Sep 25 2004, 09:23 AM
it ONLY goes off if the doors are opened from inside if they have already been locked remotely. you heard me right. the dealer demoed it for me after i had already purchased it.
Sorry amigo, that's just not true! The dealer that installed/demo-ed yours must have been a dipshit. The Scion security has a glass break sensor, yours was either adjusted wrong or installed wrong. I can turn the sensitivity on mine so that a loud passing car or harley will set it off, a tap with the key on the window will EASILY set it off. As far as arming, it can be armed with the remote, the door "lock" switch, and it can be programmed to auto arm itself.

C'mon people, adjusting the sensitivity is so easy to do why have the dealer hacks do it?? If there's one thing that seems to show up time and time again on these forums, it's that the dealers mostly have their heads up their bung holes. Their job is to get you in and out as quickly as possible at the lowest possible cost. Most of these service guys are just waiting for the day to end, they don't give a rat's ass about your car.. Your dealer/service guy obviously knew nothing about the security system. The factory alarms work as advertised, the dealers are the ones who fail to get it to perform. [/rant]

The aftermarket units definately have more features than the Scion unit, but after installing the Scion unit myself I can say that it blends seamlessly with the factory keyless remote and factory wiring. Most of the better alarms require you to carry another key fob transmitter/reciever, something else to add to your keychain. I've seen the kind of work that installers like the big-box stores can do, they can really hack up the stock wiring, and you end up with dozens of rattles after a couple of months. Neither alarm would have prevented someone from braking your window, if the factory unit had been adjusted properly it would have behaved just like the aftermarket (except for a remote pager)

For those of you who have (or were "stuck") with the Scion alarm, it's not as bad as some would have you believe. Deposited my $.02 [/b]
i agree with you. Mostly.
Not every dealer is a dipshit. (not taking it personally, dont worry)

The system is good. and you are VERY correct to say that the person demo-ing the system was a retard.

don't worry you did not waist your money. just turn the sensitivity down and watch the leaves set off your alarm. I know that my security guys set the systems about mid way. If a customer wants it more or less they adjust that for free and will demo it untill that person is satified with its performance.

just saying.

mori

·
Registered
25 Posts
mori, are you a dealer? if so, does scion/toyota have a white paper or manual for the alarm so i can have an idea of what model it is and its specs?

how does one adjust sensitivity?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Originally posted by Ivben Blown@Sep 27 2004, 03:52 PM
Here's the installation manual that explains how in the post-installation sections. I also have a few phots I can post this evening if anyone is interested.

Install Manual PDF
hi...

i've read the manual and see the part about setting the sensitivity. i read this before picking up my car. my dealer failed to set the sensitivity very high so even tapping pretty hard with my car key doesn't do anything. i knew i could change the sensitivity so i didn't wanna bother asking the dealer since i didn't wanna get the run around and get what i've heard most dealers are telling people, which is "it can not be adjusted"... i mean COME ON... arent they supposed to know these cars inside and out?

anyways, could you please post pictures?? i see the diagrams in the manual but i'm a newbie with cars and the wiring in them, so a nice little tutorial to adjust the scion security sensitivity would be VERY helpful!!...

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Originally posted by moogoo@Oct 6 2004, 02:01 PM
anyways, could you please post pictures?? i see the diagrams in the manual but i'm a newbie with cars and the wiring in them, so a nice little tutorial to adjust the scion security sensitivity would be VERY helpful!!...
Ok, here's a few photos that should give you an idea of what you need to look for. You'll need to remove the glovebox as described in the installation manual link above. Once it's off you'll see the following: Scion Alarm Photos
A word of caution, the adjuster screw should turn easily so be gentle using only finger tips on the screwdriver. The adjustment is *usually* set by the dealer/port to "6", so you have about 5 "clicks" of adjustment either direction. Use a small mirror if you've got one.

·
Registered
299 Posts
hey thanks a lot.. very helpful
need to do that tomorrow.. yours is set at 8?? how's that work for u? and can i test it while i adjust it or do i have to put the glove box back in to test it?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thank you sooo much for putting those pictures up. I've taken the glove compartment off soo many times and tried to look for the adjustment switch and never had any luck. This should help. Thanks again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Id like to know if 8 is a good setting also.

It seems like it would be too sensitive if just tapping on the window will set it off. Seems like it would be going off all night from passing motorcycles etc...

·
Registered
42 Posts
A setting of 8 is good for me, I've been tempted to try 9 just to see if it false triggers from passing vehicles. So far, with the setting of 8, it has never false triggered and it easily passes the "key tap" test as outlined in the instructions. YMMV.

·
Registered
614 Posts
besides the glass break sensor, what other sensors/features does it have? also, does it arm silently?

·
Registered
299 Posts
it has a lot of features which are all tested in the installation manual. i dont have the link on hand but its in this thread somewhere

i still need to adjust my sensitivity

1 - 20 of 24 Posts