Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, thanks to the moderators for a great forum. I'm going to be getting a Scion tC within a few weeks, and it's great to read some impressions from people who already have theirs or know a lot about them.

It's been my experience that dealer-installed security systems are inferior to the ones that you can buy in an electronics or mobile audio shop, usually for far less than the dealer would charge you for their Toyota or Honda (etc.) brand security system. So, is Scion Security really worth 500 bucks? I have a hard time believing that I wouldn't be better off with the Viper that my friend has for that kind of money.

Any input, especially from people with the Scion security system, would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
I think the consensus is that it's not worth it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the immobilizer is standard, so you'd be better off getting a Viper, or other quality alarm. By not relying on the Scion security system, you can invest in a 2 way remote and be alerted to whatever's going on w/ your car w/in a certain (1/4mi?) radius...

·
Registered
793 Posts
Yeah, I'd check this post too.

http://www.yoursciontc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=116

::Edit: And Eric, you're right. That's the only reason I DIDN'T get the security system...b/c it sorta' has it's own in a way. I mean, people can break in a steal crap all they want to. In my opinion, a stupid noise isn't gonna' deter that at all...alarms go off so often now people don't even look anymore.

BUT, at least the immobilzer will help keep my car in the spot I left it.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
See, that was my thought. In my current car (1999 Toyota Corolla, laugh all you want, but at least it doesn't look like F&F wannabe
), I have a Rattler that ran me somewhere around $150-200 installed. It has worked like a charm, and I'd take that over any stock security system I've ever seen, any day.

I've been especially wary of factory security systems since my friend spent $20,000 on a 2003 Civic EX (with factory security system, of course) and had his car broken into within 2 weeks. The thieves actually pried down the tops of the doors to reach in and unlock the doors, and the alarm never went off. After I told him that what they did wouldn't have worked on my car, he went out the next day and bought the $500 Viper system.

Not sure which route I'll go yet, ridiculous ($500 Viper) or cheaper, but I don't think I'll be going the factory route now. Thanks for your two cents.

·
Registered
793 Posts
No prob...that's what we're here for.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by LoopyLady_1@Jul 26 2004, 07:01 AM
In my opinion, a stupid noise isn't gonna' deter that at all...alarms go off so often now people don't even look anymore.

BUT, at least the immobilzer will help keep my car in the spot I left it.
Thanks for the link -- obviously, I didn't come across that thread before I created this new one. Oops.

Anyway, I have to disagree with you slightly as to how much an alarm helps avoid theft. You're right, of course, that there's no way to make your car entirely impervious to theft -- there will always be people out there smart enough to defeat whatever measures you might take to protect your car. That having been said, the only reason that security systems (car and home, both) work is that other people don't have them. To the extent that your car has an alarm and there's one two spaces away that doesn't, your car is a less attractive target. If your alarm will take 5 minutes to disable, that's 5 minutes more that the thief has to be at the scene. They know this, and will be more likely to go for the easier target, all other things being equal.

Of course, if you leave an iPod on your front seat, all bets are off.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Factory security varies by manufacturer. DEI is very good. For the price of the factory security you could could get into an aftermarket alarm with more options like glass break, rf, etc. Heck I just did window modules on mine. Now the windows and roof open and close from the transmitter. Granted this os what I do to pay the bills and get this stuff at cost, but it's still less expensive nonetheless.

2 cents more.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Originally posted by basilisk4+Jul 26 2004, 07:13 AM-->QUOTE (basilisk4 @ Jul 26 2004, 07:13 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-LoopyLady_1
@Jul 26 2004, 07:01 AM
In my opinion, a stupid noise isn't gonna' deter that at all...alarms go off so often now people don't even look anymore. 

BUT, at least the immobilzer will help keep my car in the spot I left it. Wanna bet? 
[/b]
With a $500 aftermarket system you will get a two way confirming transmitter that will let you know if your alarm is going off. Usually adds remote start, it can be done on manuals too. There are pretty much wires for every action on the car at the bcm. I'll post the wiring info soon.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
I've heard that pro theives actually look for factory installed security systems because they're easy to beat... but, nothing will stop a smash & grab!
It's also smart to get hood and trunk pins, so it will go off if someone tries to get under the hood to disconnect it. Have a backup battery & make sure it's all buried deep. It's actually really easy (I assume it's the same w/ the tC) to open a car's hood from what I understand - you can pry open the front wheel well and get to the cable that connects to the hood release lever & pop it open. Interior motion detectors also might be a good idea...

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I gotta say, I think that jamming the siren up along the firewall and away from the edges of the hood is the most effective thing you can do, outside of having a backup battery like you guys said. Bottom line is, like everyone has said, if a thief wants to get into your car badly enough, he probably will -- do what you can to make your car a difficult or unattractive target. Best thing is to have no obvious system and nothing of value obvious inside.

·
Registered
999 Posts
If you have an automatic, you should go for a custom security.

You can get a keychain that can start your car, can page you when your alarm goes off and show whats open (has a little LCD screen of a car).

Custom > Scion Security

·
Registered
13 Posts
CRAP!

Why wasn't this link started before i paid for the security system???

With this installed, can i have another system installed in place of it? Like a Viper, or whatever, can they use the wiring, etc...?

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Originally posted by sciontc_mich@Aug 4 2004, 01:06 PM
best security ever? a really big dog inside your car
doesn't necessarily need to be big... my lhasa apso (approx. 26 lbs) is psychotic... loves to bite people...

·
Registered
128 Posts
you can get an add-on security system that works with your key at crutchfield.

the AL-100C I believe it is. and its only $99 plus a sensor or two. You would save the most if you new how to install it.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Originally posted by imasaf+Aug 4 2004, 01:00 PM-->QUOTE (imasaf @ Aug 4 2004, 01:00 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-sciontc_mich
@Aug 4 2004, 01:06 PM
best security ever? a really big dog inside your car
doesn't necessarily need to be big... my lhasa apso (approx. 26 lbs) is psychotic... loves to bite people... [/b]
there ya go.. but don't have a roasted dog in hot weather.. poor dog..
yeah your dog would be ticked then.. lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts