Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum and just bought a 2005 tC, and had the dealer install the Scion (I think) security system. Is this system any good? The car will be on a university campus a lot, and there have been numerous horror stories of peoples' cars getting broken into/stollen. It costs aprox. $500, and I'm sure it doesn't compare to aftermarket stuff, but I didn't want to deal with the hassle of having someone other than Toyota install it (bad expereiences with aftermarket installs). What is the advantage of getting an aftermarket system? Thanks.

Lucas

·
Registered
100 Posts
I was in the same situation, got my car a year ago when it first came out and didn't know much about the scion security system and like you, didn't want the hassle of someone else other than Toyota install it, but you know what, it's worthless. Nothing special about the system and it's over priced. Oh well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks PwCTax,

Does that mean that it is just an ignition imobilizer, or is anything else added? What exactly is the system comprised of? Thanks again.

Lucas

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
Every tC comes with an ignition immobilizer standard but adding the Security system adds a glass breakage sensor and the alarm will alos be triggered if the doors are open while the system is armed. Nothing special.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Plissken,

$500 is kind of steep for just that. Oh well, maybe in five years it will pay for itself in insurance rate decreases.

Lucas

·
Registered
105 Posts
there is no way in hell that I pay $500 for the freaking factory alarm which is suck a$$. I paid total $325 installed (professional installation)for the Viper 791XV. You can't go wrong for this, man.

$205 shipped for the brain (MSRP $499 + tax)
$20 for the 556U IMMOBILIZER INTERFACE MODULE
$100 for installation, the guy did excellent and clean job.

will add rolling windows and more, loving it

·
Registered
243 Posts
if insurance will cover anything taken is getting a security system worth it? is the engine imobilizer good enough, or should i get something more?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Quick question,

I am looking into buying a tC and I was wondering if the stock key is the one with the remote door locks on it, or if you need to buy the security system. I would imagine it is stock, but all the pictures of advertising the security system use a picture of the key as the picture for the security system.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
86 Posts
scion security is an over-priced option but, for me personally, worth not having to take it someplace after the fact for a better system.....for my needs. From what I've read/heard, the standard setting is pretty 'indifferent'. Upping the sensitivity might make it more satisfying.

Funny story...I walked out of a bar as 2 guys were trying to figure out how to get in one night. The panic works! F'ers!! If only all who get ripped off could see how pathetic they look when busted....

bottom line....SS is basic and overpriced but you'll have your car a few hours longer and the payment will only be increase like a dime. That's my story and I'm stickin to it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.