Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a soon to be Scion tC owner (it being built
) and a marketing major. Today in class we were dicussing Mazda and other car companies that are having the balls to go against Toyota. My professor thinks that Mazda can't go up against Toyota because they are in a different class. I argued that it could go against Scion. . . he didn't know what Scion was *sigh*.

So my question is. . . when you were deciding on a new car, what were the other options that you put the Scion up against? What were the most important features that you were looking for in your new car??

Personally, I was choosing between the tC and the Mazda 3. My top criteria were performance, affordability, and looks. Idealistically I'd love an Acura but with my budget I suppose a 4cylinder that acts like a 6 is good enough for me. I wanted sporty but not girly. . . no Saturn coupes for me!!

Anyways, let me know. I fully intend you use your posts to help me get an A in this class, feel used. (j/k)

·
Registered
936 Posts
The tC and the Mazda are so close, i refuse to believe the decision between the two can be made on anything but looks and an already predisposed view of each particular brand. People are swayed by what they hear, chances are they have heard great things about both Toyota and Mazda, so it comes down to looks and price (the Mazda 3 is a little more expensive.) Features and the like, are not really deal breakers beacause each feature (barring of course the duel sunroofs) can be had on either cars.......except HID availible on Mazda 3.

I have my Bachelors in Marketing, so a discussion like this is right up my alley, hope this thread gets some good responses! - t

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
I was going to get an 04 Rav4, had it all picked out at the dealership and everything. Went one more time to see it, saw the tC and placed an order. I was never seriosuly thinking of any other brand than Toyota or its subsidiaries.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree with my prof in the sense that the original Toyota image is that of soccer moms and well.... our parents generation. However, Scion has succeeded in marketing towards generation Y... I think that most of us would agree. Also, even though Toyota's advertising budget is over 3x as large as Mazdas, they won't allocate all of that to Scion.

Mazda is moving toward the gen Y marketing strategy too... with the "zoom zoom" (implies fun to drive, fast, etc). Comparing the Mazda 3 and the tC I found that they really are similar, besides looks but with price and features and all that. My prof says though that Mazda has a reputation for being "a #### box". Would you agree??? I had a Protege for a long time and was happy with it. In my opinion I'd put the quality of Mazda and Toyota on the same page, the reason I went with the Scion is because the few more standard features it offered ... and at the risk of sounding cliche, the opportunity to be part of something new.

Love Toyota but have to disagree with my prof and say that Mazda does have a good chance at stealing market share away, at least if they go up against Scion. Or maybe it will be that Scion takes away from Mazda... either way I'd put them in the same class and say they're competitors.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Plissken@Aug 31 2004, 06:30 PM
I was going to get an 04 Rav4, had it all picked out at the dealership and everything. Went one more time to see it, saw the tC and placed an order. I was never seriosuly thinking of any other brand than Toyota or its subsidiaries.
Ahhh... brand loyalist!!!

·
Registered
614 Posts
i wasn't even considering getting a new car. i had a 2003 toyota corolla s and i had done mods to it so i was more than happy with it. when i saw the tc in person though, i said right then and there that i just have to have one. as far as scion and mazda or toyota and mazda goes, i have heard that a lot of people who have gotten the tc were considering the mazda 3 but liked the tc more for reasons that vary depending on the person. i personally will never buy a mazda or even consider it. that is just my opinion though. so, yeah, that's how cool i thought the tc was that i didn't even want it until i saw it in person and was blown away.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Personally, I think that all along.....Toyota has been marketing to EVERYONE.......and they know that once they decided to branch off they could sell to any generation they wanted.

BTW , i think they missed their mark with their advertising for Scion. Its WAAAAAAAAAAAY to hip (concerning the ads for the tC) and turns kids off because they see that Scion is trying to corral young kids into one demogrhapic as "trendy" and once something is publisized as trendy, then its not trendy anymore. make sense? - t

·
Registered
614 Posts
Originally posted by TCrazy@Aug 31 2004, 07:44 PM
BTW , i think they missed their mark with their advertising for Scion. Its WAAAAAAAAAAAY to hip (concerning the ads for the tC) and turns kids off because they see that Scion is trying to corral young kids into one demogrhapic as "trendy" and once something is publisized as trendy, then its not trendy anymore. make sense? - t
i couldn't agree more.
have you seen the videos playing in the dealers? i make fun of them. i'm keep saying, yeah, like people are really like that. riding around in the xB and doing hand and arm motions to the music and stopping to breakdance on the street.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I was seriously considering the Acura TSX, Honda Civic Si at first, but if you really think about what you are buying a car, and want the most bang for the buck, you'd have to consider the likes of the tC, Acura TSX is of course the best car of the 3, but at the price range it is a completely different class, no you might ask why not consider the Acura RSX, first my brother has one, and so does everybody else, and plus the regular RSX in my opinion is not as good as the Civic Si, now you might say what about the RSX Type S, well its more expensivethan the regular and the Si, so yah, Both Honda and Acura (pretty much the same brand) have around the same reliability in my eyes, pretty much same parts in both as well, but when compared to Toyota reliability, I'd have to say Toyota is better, just from past experiences (my parents), now we have to consider what we get for spending around $20k, (i would have to say that the Si, and the Type S are faster than tC (dont hate me, just my opinion, + there's a bigger market for the enthusiasts) So that in mind, performance is better for the Si and Type S, but at higher RPMs, tC on the other hand is more practical in that, the peaks are a lil lower, and thus better for daily "spirited" driving, the tC if my memory serves me right, passed all the crash tests with flying colors as well which is also good, + we get nice features such as, mp3 player, tweeters, panoramic moonroof, lounge set up, reclinable rear seats, and overall more room at the sacrafice of trunk space, not to mention the window buttons with the "autos," *okay at this point im rambling but what im trying to say is, you get a lot more for you money with the tC, *all those lilttle comfort features that make a dailydriver nice* that being said i think the tC really shines in affordability, i myself purchased around 3000 worth of options and came out less than my brothers automatic RSX
My experience in ride. is comepletely different from the tC to the RSX, i think the RSX is a little to bumpy for my taste, on *stock* springs, you can feel everything in the RSX, which really annoy me after a while. On the tC however, the ride is nice and smooth most of the time, so i prefer the tC in that respect,,

Okay just to sumarize for you lazy people, tC is a better deal due to the standard options, as well as the availbility of dealer options, the RSX,Si perform better for more "race car like ppl" which is enhanced by the HUGE aftermarket opportunities, in the end i think you get more for what you pay with the tC with its Toyota Quality

okay my post probably made no sense, i was typing this on and off while chatting so i hope everything is coherent

-phammerz

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't like the ads either. When I first saw them I was like what the ****?! I agree that the ads make it seem like they're trying too hard. However, marketing is much more than just the ads. Do you really think that soccer mom in suburbia is really concerned with 17" alloy wheels standard or a 2.4L engine or even a standard panorama sunroof?

I think they hit their target because look at the poll asking the age of people buying the Scion, the vast majority are under 30. When Honda Element tried to target generation Y, what happened was a bunch of baby boomers bought it trying to reconnect with their youth. A very small percentage of their customer base was anyone in the age group intended.

·
Registered
936 Posts
So, your basing your analysis of target marketing efficiency off a poll conducted ONLINE , which older people dont even use??? seems kinda biased, no?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's hard to compare the Acura with the Scion. Again, would've LOVED an Acura but that's for when I'm older, settled into a good paying job or have a company that will buy it for me. I love that Scion is packed full for the money you pay and the performance for it's class is nothing to complain about.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not just that poll but talking to dealers and asking who is coming in looking at the car, noticing who's driving them. Of course it's not a perfect measure by any means but Scion is still relatively new and with a little more time it will tell what target they've REALLY hit.

·
Registered
614 Posts
very good point. one of the most important things in a survey like this is the smaple size of the population has to include all age ranges in order to come to a conclusion about what age range is really buying the cars.

·
Registered
936 Posts
its hard to market an universaly practical product. The tC is by no means a sports-car so it has universal appeal because its more of an economy car. Older people are more apt to buy a vehicle packed with features, for a good price REGARDLESS of marketing or anything else. The tC is a hard car to market incorrectly, because its appeal spans over a vast audience. - t

·
Registered
614 Posts
i'm not being sarcastic or anything like that at all but i just wanted to ask, what makes a car a "sports car"? i know that the tc is not a sports car performance-wise but i have always thought of it as a sports car looks-wise.

·
Registered
614 Posts
ok, i see.
reminds me of the supra. back on topic though, i have to say that i have seen a lot of older people (and by older i mean people older than scion's targeted age range) that are like 30 or 40ish year olds driving the xA and xB. i have only seen like 4 tcs other than my own and i have never been able to see the driver so i don't know who's buying them. but i think that those age ranges are a sideffect of the pricing. the features that scion offers standard in a car that is reliable is a big attractor to those ages.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do you know anyone in 20's age range with a Honda Element? Just curious. I think the thing is ugly and I think that Honda was crazy when they thought that it'd be a huge trend among the Y gen. But that's just me. . . I heard from another marketing prof. that the Element's largest buyer was the mid 40's male.... just interesting.

I agree when you say that the Scion tC will span across age gaps though because of it's all round good value.

·
Registered
614 Posts
i don't know anyone at all with a honda element. i agree though that males in their 40s are the ones who buy it. they are the only ones that i have ever seen driving one. i've never even seen a female of any age driving one. and yes, i think it is ugly too. also, i think another car to explore might be the chrysler pt cruiser. it was meant to target young buyers and it didn't work too well either in that respect.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts