Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watched the Apple World QuickTime tonight and around an hour and 31 minutes they introduced which car manufacturers will be offering iPod adapters with their cars, like BMW did last year. Among the list of 7 (Mercedes, Volvo, Ferarri, others), was good ol' Scion. I hadn't seen any buzz about this on discussion boards (althought I didn't look for it) and I was wondering if anyone had any information about this. I was looking into building a scaled-down car PC to have a good-sized MP3 library in my car, but if Scion is going to release an easy-to-use iPod interface, I might just use that car PC money to get an iPod + adapter.

So, any news?

·
Registered
730 Posts
OK...Here's an update. Several manufacturers introduced iPod adapters at CES. Here is one I found that will work w/ the factory radio changer controls on our tC's. Yes, you can actually control you iPod from your radio!!! Pretty cool!!!

Here's the link:

http://peripheralelectronics.com/ipod2car/index.shtml

Click on compatibility list and scroll down to Scion. The part # listed is actually a Toyota part # you will have to order from the Toyota Dealer to make this work, but it will work!!!!

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
Couldn't tell from the site but do you know if it passes the song (artist/album/time) to the HU display? I want FULL integration much like your Alpine's with the AI-Net hookups have.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I have not confirmed if it wil show ID3 tag info or not. It may very well, seeing that the factory CD/MP3 has this ability. But I'm not sure.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Reading the FAQ leads me to believe that if the stock head unit will display it, it should work. Here's the quote:

1. Can I see the Song name/ Artist name or any other Text on my radio?
No, most factory radios support only numbers under the CD Changer mode (i.e. Disc 1 track 4)

However, our radio has this capability, so it should work. Hopefully someone will confirm.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Well, in CD changer mode our radio just shows Disc X - Track Y. Actually even simpler: CD 1 - 4 - or something like that. Guys with aux-in adaptors know...

On the other hand Scion/Pioneer did manage to push XM info from the receiver into the HU, but it's using a different port than CD changer.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would be surprised if this shows ID3 tag info. It says there's ONE part for all Toyotas, and not all Toyotas show ID3 tag info. Also, it works with the CD Changer slot, so that would lead me to believe it's just going to emulate a regular CD changer, which doesn't show ID3 tag info (because CDs dont have that...).

*sigh*

·
Registered
86 Posts
emailed Phil (my tC dealer) weeks ago about this new iOption...but haven't heard a peep. hmmmmm. I feel so used.

the 'solution' made apple-cool by Steve will obviously have full functioning controls with an extra $ button installed by Mr. Jobs himself. Finally, we can buy tunes on the fly...for real!

ID3? isn't that what makes my beastie boys cd on the mp3 cd say 'hey, f***' on my stereo every few hundred songs? Love that!

http://wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,66460,00....tw=wn_tophead_2

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.