Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just passed the 3000 mile mark on my tC and I, of course, love it! Now, I'm starting to think about my first oil change and so forth. When did everyone get theirs done? Did you get the full recommended maintenance package (rotate tires, fluids, etc.)? My dealership lists their 5000 mile maintenance price as $69.95, this seems amazingly high to me since the only thing it includes beyond the oil change is the tire rotation (I can visually inspect the breaks, undercarriage and lighting and can top off my own fluids, thanks!) What is everyone else paying for this or you just taking your free oil change? If I take my free oil change, will they do everything else at a reduced price? I know my buddy that drives an xB was amazed at how worn his tires were after 15,000 miles, only to find out that even though they checked it off in his book at every oil change, the dealer didn't actually rotate the tires until the 15,000 mile maintenance! What are everyone else's thoughts on this subject? Thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
never understood these damn things where they "inspect" all the items on the car. maybe it's cuz this is my fourth car (and i'm only 22), but i've been thru enough crap in my cars when i can tell it's not normal

plus, call me paranoid, but that's just askin' for the dealer to bend you over the front of the car and rape you right at the dealership, with "alleged" problems.

I don't even think i'm gonna bring it in for the free oil changes, i just prefer to do the easy stuff on my own

·
Registered
202 Posts
Originally posted by grimace@Sep 26 2005, 07:10 PM
I don't even think i'm gonna bring it in for the free oil changes
While I don't do my own oil change, I will go to my old mechanic for it instead of taking advantage if Toyota's free oil changes.

Why? Because last time I was in the dealer for the 1,000 mile complimentary insepction, it took them LONGER TO FIND MY CAR IN THEIR LOT then to actually inspect my car.

After they were done with inspection, I was told to go to the garage and someone will "take care of it." Everyone was busy taking in more cars, NO ONE even bother to ask me. I asked a few guys and they all told me to fly a kite. Finally I started going up to people and look at them and demand my car. Then it took another 20 minutes to30 minutes or so with some guy running around their lot, using the panic button, trying to locate my car. It was parked half a block away on the SIDEWALK (which they do all the time)!

I had similar experience the previous visit when I was installing the lo-jack. So unless it's something really really important, I won't visualizing myself in the dealer for anything.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Actually, if your car's under warranty, Scion/Toyota dealerships get money from Toyota for performing the maintenance. At least, that's what the dealership told me...... You know how much to trust them!

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
That is correct. They get paid for the labor by Toyota USA.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you have a reliable dealer service center, you should let them do the free oil change (but unless you've already got 6 months, I'd wait until the 6 month or 5,000 miles point to have it done; the 3000 mile thing is a waste of $$ and resources, and merely provides added income for dealers and oil change stores). You should ask them what they would charge to rotate your tires, and if reasonable ($10 or less), probably let them do that - unless you have enough lift equipment to do it properly. The other items you can inspect yourself...

I would personally consider using synthetic oil (100%), although you'll have to provide it - you can get a 5-quart container at WalMart for less than $20 (which is sometime less than you can get four 1-quart containers). I'm sure there are other threads out there you can peruse to help you evaluate the use of synthetics.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
I'm gonna wait 'till 5000 Miles, but who the heck gets free oil changes? They're $22 from the dealer I bought mine from...

·
Registered
187 Posts
Originally posted by EnronCFO@Sep 26 2005, 05:25 PM
I just passed the 3000 mile mark on my tC and I, of course, love it! Now, I'm starting to think about my first oil change and so forth. When did everyone get theirs done? Did you get the full recommended maintenance package (rotate tires, fluids, etc.)? My dealership lists their 5000 mile maintenance price as $69.95, this seems amazingly high to me since the only thing it includes beyond the oil change is the tire rotation (I can visually inspect the breaks, undercarriage and lighting and can top off my own fluids, thanks!) What is everyone else paying for this or you just taking your free oil change? If I take my free oil change, will they do everything else at a reduced price? I know my buddy that drives an xB was amazed at how worn his tires were after 15,000 miles, only to find out that even though they checked it off in his book at every oil change, the dealer didn't actually rotate the tires until the 15,000 mile maintenance! What are everyone else's thoughts on this subject? Thanks.
$69.96 is pretty damn high for an oil change and tire rotation. My Scion dealership only charges $40.

Yes I went back to the dealership, because I wanted them to take care of the rattles, so I got stuff done at the same times. Rattles still not fixed though. Ugh.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Every Scion comes with 3 free oil changes. Your dealer should have told you that when the car was delivered.

FWIW, I agree with oldman about synthetics, and I definitely agree with buying Mobil 1 at Wal-Mart, and that's not because my wife is an Assistant Store Manager, but because they really do consistently have the best price.

I don't run Mobil 1 in everything I own, but I do run it in my Scions. You are also wise to use either the genuine Toyota filter, Purolator Pure One, or the Amsoil/WIX filters. Anything else is not very good at filtering. I woudn't run FRAM on my dog's lawnmower.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Crap.... I wasn't told! Can we just go to any Toyota/Scion dealer and get the oil change?

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Yes.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Sep 27 2005, 10:53 AM
FWIW, I agree with oldman about synthetics, and I definitely agree with buying Mobil 1 at Wal-Mart
You mean you would use synthetics? I thought synthetics is good when you really push your car. Do you recommend synthetic if I rarely go over 5, or even 4K RPM?

So you just bring your synthetic oil to Toyota dealer and let them change it?

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I've been using synthetics exclusively for about 17 years. No, I do my own oil changes after the 3 freebies. I'm not worried about problems with conventional oil in the first 20k anyway, and my dealer uses a synthetic blend, so it's not all bad.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
You can use it sooner; you can break-in with it if you want, Chevrolet does that with Corvettes. I'm just being cheap and taking advantage of the freebie. No reason not to. Next oil change (20K) will be Mobil 1, but probably 10w-30, not 5w-30, and I'll run it for 10k, not 5k. I have a LOT of experience running synthetics with 10k drain intervals, and I know it will be fine.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Sep 27 2005, 06:02 PM
but probably 10w-30, not 5w-30, and I'll run it for 10k, not 5k. I have a LOT of experience running synthetics with 10k drain intervals, and I know it will be fine.
I am pretty newbie when it comes to syn... I'll have to get use to this 10k interval oil changes.... hehehe.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am a big fan of Mobil 1 synthetics as well. I will be draining the factory oil this weekend and replacing with 10W30 Mobil 1 synthetic. I use it in all of my vehicles, so I keep a lot of it on hand.

I've also seen 10k intervals on engines using this oil and no problems.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes, if you still have free oil changes, just bring the synthetic you want with you, and tell the dealer you want them to use that instead of the conventional mineral oil they would normally put in.

Also, $26 for 6 quarts of Mobil Super Syn (or whatever they call it) at Sam's is pretty good - that's less than $4.50/quart. But the "original" Mobil 1 is an excellent oil, and less expensive.

And I have lalso heard and seen some articles that reflect the same about filters - don't use Fram

The choice to use synthetic oil can be somewhat complex if your criteria is short-term economics, but for some people it's easy (because they want the best, and over 100,00 miles and 20 oil changes the extra cost is only ~ $240 if you do it yourself - pretty small compared to the cost of the vehicle, insurance, and gas).

BTW, I've used Mobil 1 since the late 70's. The oldest vehicle I still have is a 1996 4-Runner with 216,000+ miles, and the engine still runs like the day I bought it (and still doesn't require any additional oil between the recommended 7,500 mile changes). It's hard to complain about those kind of results...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.