Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on doing my own oil changes... will probably use a TRD filter and Mobil 1 synthetic.. Have 954 miles now. I'm thinking about changing the oil "early" at around a 1000 miles.
Has anyone done an oil change yet? I am wondering at what angle is the oil filter??? I like it when they are "up and down'" hate it at odd angles...messy. Anyone planning on putting on a bypass filter as well?

For mad scientist dino vs syn vs paper vs pleated views check out:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi

By the way, I accidently redlined my tc
briefly but I did. Of course it was hours after I read about OBDII

·
Registered
116 Posts
I will be doing the scheduled maintenance for this car.

·
Registered
936 Posts
take advantage of the first 3 and then do your own. Peronsally I wont be using the TRD filter, i prefer Mobil 1 filters as well as their synthetic oil products. I doubt the filter is at an odd angle, as that would compromise flow characteristics. Im very sure its horizontal to the engine block but I have not had a chance to look yet. I reccomend people read the site that Pippin65 posted up as it has GREAT info for people that may need some insight on filters etc. - T

·
Registered
75 Posts
The dealer I bought my tC from is giving me the 3 oil changes from scion 3 from them 1 more for the 1000 mile checkup thing and one more, forgot why the last one. But I get a total of 8 free oil changes, so I think I'll take advantage of that considering how long the intervals are.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Not sure if this makes a difference, but on a car that starts with regular oil, the philosophy is to start synthetic no sooner than about 5K miles. Something to do with the seating of valves, stc. I don't know if that is true any more, but it was when synthetics first came out.

I used my first OC at 1K to make sure all the filings, fingers, and what not were removed. Will probably do another at 3K, then at 6K, at which point I will go to synthetic.

You with BMWs and Audis don't need to fret. Your engines come with synthetic to begin with. I wonder how much more Toyota would have charged us for that pleasure?

Dan

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also like to do my own oil changes, mostly because of all the horror stories about loose drain plugs, leaking filters, cheap oil, etc. I couldn't resist driving the car at 100 miles up on my ramps to look. We DIYers got lucky, the filter is mounted base up, vertically, and is easy to reach. Oil drain plug isn't behind steering parts like a formerly owned Ford. AT drain plug is easy too.

Toyota doesn't recommend an early first oil change anymore, but I may not be able to resist. From what I have read the factory fill is a good oil and should be good for 5,000 miles, but 2.4 liter Toyotas do extremely well on Mobil 1 XW30 in used oil analysis reports. Since Porche and Corvettes come from the factory with this oil, the "wait x,xxx miles" before synthetics is an old wive's tale. There is no real difference in performance between syn or dino oil except at extreme service conditions. The additive packages are specific to each brand, not type, and some are better than others. Synthetics do tend to keep engines somewhat cleaner due to their better perfomance at higher temperatures, but not all are created equal.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Id just wait until the dealer does the services for the first 3 oil changes and oil filter swaps..there really is no difference in changing oil at X miles as opposed to waiting, as long as the engine stays lubricated..

·
Registered
26 Posts
I got lifetime free oilchanges at Daytona Toyota - Daytona Beach, FL. Then I heard South of here in Melbourne they have tires for life - not sure if our performance tires are included though.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I got the standard 3 free oil changes, and tires for life.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I've already used my 3 free oil changes and will now just keep up with maintance at home.

·
Registered
339 Posts
do you think an oil change at 1k would be good for the car?

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
Originally posted by moriarty+May 30 2005, 03:58 PM-->QUOTE (moriarty @ May 30 2005, 03:58 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Pharoh
@May 27 2005, 02:08 PM
I got the standard 3 free oil changes, and tires for life.
free tires for life?
details please. [/b]
Its a per dealer thing apparently. If i were to do ALL my service at my dealer I get free tires for life and can pay the difference to get better ones.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Yeah, it is a dealer thing. Quoting their contract:
  • Free Tires for Life. Original owner of vehicle (Non-Transferable)
  • Vehicle must have 100% of all Toyota Required Service Scehdule performed at Precision Toyota of Tucson.
  • Alignment required every 12 months or 15,000 mi.
  • Tire balance every 12 months or 15,000 mi.
  • Normal wear and tear only is covered.
  • Tires will be replaced with like type tires by Precision Toyota of Tucson when depth reaches 3/32'' as per state safety standards. Up grade of tires will be the responsibility of the registered owner.
Just have a little time on my hands, so I thought I'd let you know. I suppose it's not that great of a deal, since I have to have all maint done at the dealership. I'm gonna call and see if they'll give me a deal on up graded tires though...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts