Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm leaving today to fly to the other side of the world. I'm going to be in Diego Garcia for the next 2-4 months. They have internet there, but I don't know how readily available it's going to be. I'll still drop in as much as I can though. Gonna miss my car almost as much as my wife. Later.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
diego garcia has internet? man, that place was always the last place anyone wanted to go. they offered all sorts of compensation to get service members there at one point. i cant imagine it has changed much.

a british owned island, occupied by american military. the british kicked out the islanders years ago, and last year actually passed an Order of Council banning them from ever returning. the british rule.

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
Originally posted by HaTeOnThYs05+Sep 30 2005, 03:51 PM-->QUOTE (HaTeOnThYs05 @ Sep 30 2005, 03:51 PM)
umm what is diego garcia? like, what is the point of the trip?

anyway...be safe.[/b]
<!--QuoteBegin-inevitablegod
@Sep 30 2005, 02:15 PM
a british owned island, occupied by american military.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
At least they have women on the island now. Didn't used to be that way.

Enjoy some of the best coconuts on the planet. DG isn't all bad...

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts... deedelee dee dee....

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Originally posted by Plissken+Sep 30 2005, 06:56 PM-->QUOTE (Plissken @ Sep 30 2005, 06:56 PM)
Originally posted by [email protected] 30 2005, 03:51 PM
umm what is diego garcia?  like, what is the point of the trip?

anyway...be safe.
<!--QuoteBegin-inevitablegod
@Sep 30 2005, 02:15 PM
a british owned island, occupied by american military.
[/b]
yea, i understood that part, but what is the point of the trip?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, everybody, for your words of encouragement. I'm checking in from Crete. This place is cool. Another flight tonight and I'll be in DG. We're going to diego to refuel the bombers that are making it a pain to be a bad guy in the middle east. I'll drop back in once I get to the island and get situated in my tent.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by moriarty@Oct 1 2005, 08:12 PM
kill some commies for the mommies.

i hear the only thing to do in DG is drink. at one bar because there is only one. it that true.... anyway, be safe and giterdone.
Not at all true. There are at least 6 places selling alcohol besides the Class 6, and at least as many restaurants if you don't want chow hall food.

I partied with the RAF while on Diego. I even stole one of their insignia from a hat (OK, I traded a patch for it). It's in my shadowbox along with my other military stuff. Everything but my medals. I could never get those idiots at clothing sales to sort that out right.

Anyway, we partied with the RAF 'til sunrise, and had a wicked hangover the next day. All day. There wasn't much better to do except the free movies at the theater or scaling the highest peak on the island (the base pool, it had to be built above sea level for some reason).

I have a picture of DG from the air somewhere. It's a coolio spot. Stale beer, cheap alcohol, lots of Navy folk in barracks and Air Force in tents. Happy happy joy joy!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yep, Lance pretty much has it down. Been here a few days now and I finally got access to a computer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.