Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a continuation of a hijacked thread. I'm picking up where we left off:

OK, this is the kind of timeline I'm thinking: Depart on a Wednesday evening, arrive on Friday morning. Sleep the majority of Friday daytime. Party time from Friday evening through Sunday morning. Depart ~ 2 pm Sunday, arrive back in Sac on Monday evening ~ midnight if all goes to plan. This would give the Atlanta crew no excuses for not showing up. It would also be possible to shift forward one day, leave Tuesday evening, and arrive Thursday, but then we'd only have Thursday (a week night) and Friday, and we'd be departing on Saturday around 2 pm to arrive in Sac at midnight on Sunday. I'd like to get home ~midnight so I can get a little noise-free rest before going to work the next day.

As for the date, it MUST be before September 15th. Weather is highly unpredictable in the Rockies after mid-September (AMHIK). If it is going to be this month, it would have to be the last week of the month. I have other commitments the next two weeks. August is good for me, except the weekend of the 20th. If we are two, we'll take the Dawg. If we are three, we'll take the IIP tC.

Red Bull and Vivarin are the only sustenance needed for the road, other food is optional and can be purchased at gas stops or drive throughs. Luggage is limited to toiletries and minimal clothing changes. One presentable set of clothes for dinner is mandatory. Most importantly, no stops are permitted except fuel stops or if the driver is unable to safely continue because of fatigue. The trip is expected to take 35 hours EACH WAY assuming no significant mechanical or traffic related problems. That's pretty substantial driving and a highly success oriented plan. This is a NO WIMPS adventure. Drivers will rotate, and resting drivers will be expected to get some rest to maintain the rotation. There is a northern route and a southern route. They are about 80 miles difference. We will take both to hit the maximum number of states. I'll publish the routes in case any YSTC members want to cheer us on en route.

If any of this doesn't sound like your cup of tea, this adventure may not be for you. I will also bring laptop and internet connection via cell phone to post updates from the road and give the ATL crew ETA updates.

If there are any other brave souls wishing to join us, speak up. We can always add to the plan. Just keep in mind, this is not for the faint of heart, weak of stomach, or those who need to stop routinely for biological functions. Who can commit besides me?

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
One word: Hardcore!

Edit: Please try to not make it the weekend of August 13th as I will be in Charlotte for a wedding. If this is the only time you can come obviously then come.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
If you actually do something as nuts as driving cross-country, I can get at least a dozen tC's together in ATL - so it will be like a rehearsal for the national meet.

P.S. My b-day is Aug 26, and by then I should definitely have my little upgrade done.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm kind of hoping we might be able to pick up a few participants along the way. Maybe some of the folks who live along the route. It would definitely be more like a national meet then.

Oh, it's not nuts. I've been across the US on my 1980 Honda 750F, my GTS Corolla, my Supra, and most recently in the wife's '97 Camry. The last one was Mississippi to Baltimore to Sacramento in 5 days with a stop in College Park, MD for her commencement at UMUC. I've done this a time or two.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by zoltiz@Jul 10 2005, 07:31 AM
P.S. My b-day is Aug 26, and by then I should definitely have my little upgrade done.
OK. I'm proposing departing the evening of August 24th. We'll arrive in ATL on Zoltiz's birthday. Wolo? D? What say you all?

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I guess I'll have to organize some sort of a party. Haven't had a b-day party in at least 7 years.

Edit: actually it will be exactly 10 years.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
i have two things to nail down before i can ink myself down (time off work and the wife's health), but i am a good solid pencil. i told you that when we spoke about this the other night on the phone. road trip to GA in the supra? nah, i dont think that would be any fun at all. this is my kind of smokey and the bandit sh!t right here.

and you know this, man.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
I hate to rain on the parade, but I will be out of the country from August 14-21 and in Chicago from August 25-28. I think I will be available for large parts of any other weekend during the time period you suggested. Sorry. :-\

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
i knew it wouldnt be that easy.

well, we could leave on the 24th, and arrive in chicago on the 25th, or we can change the dates around. or, we can say screw marty and hit atlanta when he is gone.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
^^^ we couldnt drag you out of the kitchen to drive for a day through the mountains, but you are good for a 4 or 5 day cross country trip? perhaps the CA36 drive just wasnt hardcore enough for you...

south to bakersfield via I5, then over to 40 east and through AZ, NM, TX, OK, AR, TN, and into GA via 24 south.

or I80 east through NV, UT, WY, NE, IA, IL, to 65 south through IN, KY, TN, AL, then east on 20 into GA.

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
The reason being is that most of the remodel will be done by the first week in August. In the meantime, I need to work every spare minute on demolition and rebuilding.

Home Depot called and my cabinets and flooring are ready to be picked up.

Two weeks earlier than I expected. I have no idea where I'm going to put everything. But I DID rip out the window yesterday.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK. Second choice: Depart the evening of September 7th (I'd say let's do Labor Day weekend, but fighting the rest of the world on a vacation weekend would be a biotch. Third choice is definitely Labor Day. I don't see accomplishing this any sooner because I would have to do it almost right now, and my calendar is booked hard for the next two weeks. Like Wolo, I'm tied up with previous engagements (family visiting) in early August. Marty is not available for large blocks of August (wasn't that the original purpose, to buy Marty a drink?), so it's looking like an early September gig.

D, I know your challenges. I also know you'll do your best to rise to the occasion, if it is humanly possible. Wolo, I know your heart is in it, we just need a hard commitment to make it happen. LMK what you think about these dates and if they might be workable.

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
I think going in September opens things up greatly for me. I will look into things at work to see how the time off situation looks.

If we leave on the evening of the 7th (Wednesday), are we looking to be back by the evening of the 12th (Monday)?

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes. You would need to take Thursday, Friday, and Monday as vacation days.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
those days present a challenge for me (the weekdays, not the dates). i will explore further with mori and see what we can come up with. early sept works for me as far as time frame though.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
sh!t. it looks like we have to do this now. i propose a pitcher or so down at the streets of london with the interested parties. bring your calendars, and we can nail down some things in person instead of via a message board.
i'm in whenever for the planning pitchers. someone say when.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
well, fine, i will go have a pitcher by myself.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
WTF. LMK. I'll be there.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.