Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i got s-techs for xmas and i want to get them on my car ASAP. however, i for one don't know anything 'bout lowering cars. Is it that hard to install? my friends seem to give me a hard time 'bout it telling me that they need to see how my car is "set up". whatever that means. i thought it was all just nuts and bolts. hmmmmm.....

· Registered
1,373 Posts
There's a How-To on this in the Information section, though it's using TRD springs. However, if you plan on getting them installed by your dealer or some other place, plan on paying upwards of $200.00 and having your car in the shop for a half a day or more. Your best bet is finding a friend or a friend of a friend who can do it for a song and in half the time.

I'm still looking for someone to lower mine. I refuse to pay more for the install than the springs themselves cost.

· Registered
4,327 Posts
I would say upwards to $600. Some people here said that's the price the dealer quoted them. $200 is a good deal. My friend got his springs installed for that price and he had connections...

· Registered
1,373 Posts
There's a place about 45min from here called Ride Revolution that has certified technicians and installers. I asked a salesman there what it would cost to get some springs installed and I think he said $250 and I'd have to leave my car for half a day. So, that's kinda what I was going by. I've heard the stories of people paying WAY more than that by taking it to their dealer or some other shop that charges $80+/hr and takes all day.

I think it sucks... it just seems crazy to me to pay $150 for springs and then have to pay $250-600+ just to get them installed. If I thought I could do it myself, I would, but I don't really have the tools or the know-how... I'm a mechanical incompetent.

I'll just keep asking around with my friends and give them puppy dog faces until someone does it for free.

· Registered
1,373 Posts
Yup. Pretty sure you just pay a refundable deposit for a compressor from Autozone.

· Registered
28 Posts
Takes at least 4 hours to DIY, n u need to buy Springs Compressors, and all the right size wrenches. Taking everything out of the trunk (which is not that hard at all). If u can get it done for $250, that's a pretty sweet deal... that's like $65 an hour work... not bad not bad... I say let the shop do it if is $250.

-buttaz

· BOOST its what I do!
6,530 Posts
DIY dont need spring compressors if your arent a Biotch and are just willing to stand on the spring and use an air wrench to take it off and let the spring go. 4 Hours you guys are crazy thats like an hour and a half job at the most. I got S-Techs for X-Mas too and they are going on as soon as i get them. But truthfuly you dont really need spring compressors if you have a strong heart and a will to do what i said at top.

· Registered
193 Posts
It doesnt take a whole day to put springs on. If your doing it yourself for the first time, it will probably take you a whole day. Make sure you bring a friend to help you out, it's needed. If you take it to a shop, they can do it less then 4 hours, they are experienced and got the proper tools shouldnt take them a whole day.

· Registered
396 Posts
Originally posted by inur3y3@Dec 28 2005, 09:26 AM
so anyone in the california, SFVA area care to help me lower my car? i can't offer a lot like $250 for the labor...i was thinking more of a combo from in n out...
Thats what I paid a tech at one of my dealerships to install my grills. Thats all he asks for when he works on my car.

· Registered
23 Posts
Originally posted by bluesciontc@Dec 27 2005, 11:02 PM
DIY dont need spring compressors if your arent a Biotch and are just willing to stand on the spring and use an air wrench to take it off and let the spring go. 4 Hours you guys are crazy thats like an hour and a half job at the most. I got S-Techs for X-Mas too and they are going on as soon as i get them. But truthfuly you dont really need spring compressors if you have a strong heart and a will to do what i said at top.
I agree. Used to be into hondas (they were cheap, what can i say?) and I've lowered quite a few. Never used a spring compressor. The main thing that helped quite a bit was the air wrench. They're pretty easy to switch, and if everything goes right it takes about an hour and a half like what's his name said. Unfortunately whenever I did we rushed it quite a bit and it ended up taking a couple of hours. It's no biggy though. I'd say just go ahead and try it. Cars are sometimes trial and error, you gotta learn somehow though. There should be a tutorial somewhere on the net that covers the basics.

· Ironhead
12,859 Posts
Originally posted by bluesciontc@Dec 27 2005, 11:02 PM
DIY dont need spring compressors if your arent a Biotch and are just willing to stand on the spring and use an air wrench to take it off and let the spring go.
thats the worst idea i have ever heard. darwin award waiting to happen. i guess you dont need a torque wrench to put it back to gether either, unless you are a bitch and cant turn a wrench.

not using the right tools is a recipe for disaster. broken you, broken car, broken friend who was just trying to help you out.

i have a macpherson strut compressor on a moveable base, it is safe, fast, and reliable. if you get to sacramento, i can do it for you, teach you a little about it, and i love in n out. pm me.

· BOOST its what I do!
6,530 Posts
Originally posted by Plissken@Dec 29 2005, 04:25 PM
or just go to Autozone and borrow their pair.
Nah i am not doing it the way i said. I was just joking around i am most likely using the spring compressor at the auto hobby shop on base. And the auto zone ones SUCK. we Fed one up badly cause it was so cheap.

Oh i also turn wrenchs every day of my life I am a Crew Chief so i am not a biotch about wrench turning.

· Premium Member
16,847 Posts
Originally posted by bluesciontc@Dec 30 2005, 02:34 AM
And the auto zone ones SUCK.
Without a doubt but they get the job done.

· Ironhead
12,859 Posts
Originally posted by bluesciontc+Dec 29 2005, 11:34 PM-->QUOTE (bluesciontc @ Dec 29 2005, 11:34 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Plissken
@Dec 29 2005, 04:25 PM
or just go to Autozone and borrow their pair.
Nah i am not doing it the way i said. I was just joking around i am most likely using the spring compressor at the auto hobby shop on base. And the auto zone ones SUCK. we Fed one up badly cause it was so cheap.

Oh i also turn wrenchs every day of my life I am a Crew Chief so i am not a biotch about wrench turning. [/b]
please do not joke in the technical forums about dangerous methods. as a crew chief, you should know that safety is the number one concern of any quality mechanic.

fwiw: this compressor, bad.

thats what you get at autozone. i have used one. once. then i bough a wall mount from my service dept.

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Originally posted by inevitablegod+Dec 29 2005, 02:51 PM-->QUOTE (inevitablegod @ Dec 29 2005, 02:51 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-bluesciontc
@Dec 27 2005, 11:02 PM
DIY dont need spring compressors if your arent a Biotch and are just willing to stand on the spring and use an air wrench to take it off and let the spring go.
thats the worst idea i have ever heard. darwin award waiting to happen. i guess you dont need a torque wrench to put it back to gether either, unless you are a bitch and cant turn a wrench.

not using the right tools is a recipe for disaster. broken you, broken car, broken friend who was just trying to help you out.

i have a macpherson strut compressor on a moveable base, it is safe, fast, and reliable. if you get to sacramento, i can do it for you, teach you a little about it, and i love in n out. pm me. [/b]
Depends on the car. MkIV Supras never needed a spring compressor to remove or install springs.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.