Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed several posts on here about running the power wire for an amplifier in the tC through some passenger side grommets. Well personally I never like running wires across the car like that so I wanted it down the same side as the battery. There is a nice grommet(about 3") that a large bunch of wires comes through on the drivers side.
Just cut a little hole in the grommet and run the wire through (I did 4 AWG, but I think you could get 0 AWG). It is easiest to come from the inside and run the wire out to the engine bay since the grommet is almost impossible to get to from the engine bay. It looks beautiful, and if I can get a camera in there I will take some pics and post them in a couple of days.

The catch is that you have to lay on your damn back and reach up between the pedals to get to it. However, if my 6'3" 230 lb frame can do it, i imagine just about anyone can.

·
Registered
453 Posts
very nice, i think i saw that saw spot when i was installing, but i fear change and therefore stuck with whats been tested and i was able to route the wire so it was invisible, thnaks for the info...and yes pics would be awesome

·
Registered
742 Posts
Here is a little secret or two to save you money.

You can buy welding cable at a welding supply house for much less than fancy looking power wire that will mostly be hidden anyway. For the areas that are seen you can you can cover it with your choice of wire loom, we use braded nylon and heat shrink on the ends.

It comes in several sizes so you can select the appropriate size you need instead of just 4 guage or 1/0. We are using 2 gauge in our car since is just the right size and costs less, weighs less than 1/0.

Don't worry about it being safe in a car, it is welding cable and lives a much harsher life in it's normal duty than any vehicle install will ever see, that is when properly installed.

I agree, it is possible and not all that hard to run it down the drivers side of the car, fairly easy access through the firewall on that side, I have done two so far, not a problem:)

Rick

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Originally posted by EddieMoney@Jul 10 2005, 11:35 AM
The catch is that you have to lay on your damn back and reach up between the pedals to get to it. However, if my 6'3" 230 lb frame can do it, i imagine just about anyone can.
Tell me about it..... My back hurt like a bitch after running the wire through that grommet..... at least it was big enough to run the wire.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Originally posted by EddieMoney@Jun 15 2006, 05:49 PM
I decided to bump this topic for tCBill, here is a picture for you too buddy
  I know you got about 50 lbs on me, but you can do it too

Lay on your back up  between the pedals and you see:
I appreciate the bump there Eddie. Good shot too! I hope I don't get stuck in that position and have to call my wife to try and pull me out.

Where did you go from there, under the carpet or behind the kicks and sill cover?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Every Toyota I have done an install in has had a grommet there.

I don't feel welding wire is good for any audio application. I don't see why you just don't spend a little more and get Kolosis kable from knukoncepts. It is marine grade and oversized. the 4 gauge is as big as the 2 guage my local shop sells, and its a third the price. If you are going to have a nice amp, nice deck, nice subs, nice speakers, get nice wire. If your running a sony or pioneer system go ahead, get the welding wire.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Originally posted by [email protected]@Jun 19 2006, 09:05 PM
I don't feel welding wire is good for any audio application. I don't see why you just don't spend a little more and get Kolosis kable from knukoncepts. It is marine grade and oversized. the 4 gauge is as big as the 2 guage my local shop sells, and its a third the price. If you are going to have a nice amp, nice deck, nice subs, nice speakers, get nice wire. If your running a sony or pioneer system go ahead, get the welding wire.
Are you serious? Can you think of any car audio amplifier that draws as much current/amps as even an economy wire feed welder puts out? A 1000+ watt amp may have a peak draw around 80A, but a baby MIG welder will push 50-70A constant through 6ga. Bigger rigs will do 200A continuous, and more.

The CW about power cabling for audio is pretty entertaining. 4ga welding wire is more than enough for 95% of installs. And instead of pretty translucent jackets, you get jacketing that's oil, acid, and solvent resistant, and doesn't mind having hot blobs of metal dropped on it. I'll take the durable stuff. The amp doesn't give a damn one way or the other.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Originally posted by [email protected]@Jun 19 2006, 08:05 PM
Every Toyota I have done an install in has had a grommet there.

I try not to do business with any company that substitutes k's for c's.
It's dumb. I wish they would stop thinking it's "klever".
(heh heh.)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.