Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I installed my Rear Sway Bar today and i put it on the "RACE" setting. I took it for a test drive around the block and when i pulled into a supermarket parking lot, I heard a popping sound. When I looked i saw that the Left bolt POPPED OFF.

How many ppl have it on the race setting? Is it suppose to harm the sway bar if your only doing regular street driving?

Well it seems like the Screw that the RSB was bolted to, broke off!!
Now, I might be accountable for this mishap, i'm not sure. I used a fu^ked up torque wrench that's setting didn't work correctly. To correct this, I flipped that swivel piece around and put it back to the street setting. So i guess i just wanna know if this has happen to anyone else?

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Overtightening does break bolts. I think you answered your own question about why it broke with the comment about the bad torque wrench.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
^ Ditto. I've had the sway on the race setting for months now, no problems here. You might have overtightened it w/ the torque wrench.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yup, that's what i thought.....I should've took Alex's offer to help me out with the install lol........ok 2nd ques. - The bar seems fine now on street setting but, How much do u think it would cost to replace that part that u screw the RSB too.....u think Ken might have them in stock.....Don't really want to deal with the dealership unless i absolutely have to.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Are you talking about the link with the two ball joints? I'm not clear on what broke where. Your picture points to one of the ball joints on a pretty standard looking Toyco part. Did the piece come with the RSB?

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Toyco has been using the two ball joint connectors for their swaybars on a variety of cars for about 25 years. You should have no trouble getting the part from any Toyco source.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
it's all good dude, I prefer diy's, you get to learn through your experiences. Anyways, good luck with finding the right part, you might wanna check out this site, i'm not sure that it has the part you're lookin for, but it's worth a try:

http://www.toyautoparts.com/

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Not sure, you might want to go to here.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I had my sway installed at a suspension shop and the next day the actual bolt broke. I took it to the dealership and they replaced the whole arm under warranty. I gave them hell about using 'hollow' bolts.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Really! Is that really covered in your warrenty? I went for the platnium warrenty, so i should be covered too.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
yeah, it should be convered. unless it is determined that your install was the root cause of a warrantied part failing (ie: over-torqued bolts/nuts). its a thin line with the DIY stuff. still, i installed mine and a few others so far, and have set them all to track settings. zero reports of anything wrong.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.