Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finaly bought my new speakers. I got 2 audiobahn aw1206t's runnin 700 watts RMS, 1300-1400 peak, so the speakers will be putting out about 128 decibels. Ill give ya a chart so you can see where my speakers are:

60 normal conversation

110 shouting in ear

120 thunder

120 jet plane (at ramp)

120 ambulance siren

125 chain saw

130 jackhammer, power drill

130 air raid

130 percussion section at symphony

140 airplane taking off

Note: Every 10 Decibels, the actual volume doubles..

So my question is, will it break the glass at full volume? does anyone have experience with this? will my rear view miror fall off?? I know ill go deaf, so im going to keep it down till i need to blast someone lol. Thanks!

·
Registered
936 Posts
No, most defintley not. If ANYTHING were to break it would be the glass in the hatch but even then thats not likely. The glass is Tempered, do some reasearch on what that means (assuming you dont know, if you do then disregard) and youll have a new appreciation for how strong the glass reall is. The only way you could blow it out is if you generated a ton of air pressure within the vehicle.......which is basically impossible with the amount of CU.FT. and vents. Sounds like a loud setup! - t

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Hell yeah, that will THUD... especially in a car the size of a tC. No need to worry about the glass breaking... but maybe the moonroof would rattle if open... no sure....

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I know that parts of the car already have sound buffering technology in them from the factory, not sure about the hatch though. A system like that will rattle just about anything though.... so be prepaired

·
Registered
116 Posts
Its the old guy again...
Back in my younger days I was in a rock band and we were VERY loud. My warning to you is...for the rest of my life, I've had a loud ringing in my ears called tinnitus. Have fun, enjoy your music...but if your ears start to hurt when you're listening to loud music, turn it down a little. You could pay for it the rest of your life.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Originally posted by oldster@Sep 2 2004, 10:52 AM
Its the old guy again...
Back in my younger days I was in a rock band and we were VERY loud. My warning to you is...for the rest of my life, I've had a loud ringing in my ears called tinnitus. Have fun, enjoy your music...but if your ears start to hurt when you're listening to loud music, turn it down a little. You could pay for it the rest of your life.
Oldster you are most definitley correct when you say turn down the music a notch. Im only 22 now, but back when i was about 18 I had a big system in my car (yea, i was stupid....haha) the music was great but now I have consisten ringing because I damaged the little hairs inside the ear (tinnitus).....just like you said. Live and learn! - t

·
Registered
23 Posts
The only other way the roof would shatter is if your system somehow matched the same frequecny. Glass has a certain pitch and frequency inwhich it will bend and ultimaly crack and break. For this to happen you would need some powerfuly high tweeters to conjur up the mustard for it to break. Play it as loud as you prefer, just as long as your body is willing to pay the price.

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
That's wild, Eric. I had heard of damaging your kidneys (many years ago) from excessive bass, but never anything about lungs.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Originally posted by Pakman@Sep 2 2004, 01:18 PM
The only other way the roof would shatter is if your system somehow matched the same frequecny. Glass has a certain pitch and frequency inwhich it will bend and ultimaly crack and break. For this to happen you would need some powerfuly high tweeters to conjur up the mustard for it to break. Play it as loud as you prefer, just as long as your body is willing to pay the price.
In my physics of music course at UMD my prof shattered a pyrex beaker using a LOUD loudspeaker at the beaker's resonant frequency. The truly amazing thing was that he illuminated the beaker with a strobe at the same frequency as the sound, and you could see the beaker flex and undulate a good 1/2 inch before shattering.

·
Registered
409 Posts
lol QSJ my physics teacher showed my class a video on that to teach us about like waves, yah just like the ppl said, your frequencies have to match inorder to break the glass, *sidenote* physics is like the best science ever, its more practical than biology and chem at least in my eyes, =)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts