Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that they make pistons for our cars but i cant seem to find rods. I read on another sight that they said that the rods are already strong. is this true? and as for the pistons i know zpi makes pistons is that the best brand to go with?

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
ZPI might sell pistons, but I'm pretty confident they aren't making them. There are only a few true piston manufacturers in the world, everybody else uses them to make their designs, and half of them don't make a decent piston anyway. Your choices are limited. Why do you not want to use the stock pistons?

The OEM rods are pretty strong. Unless your goal is beyond 7000 rpm and/or 400 hp, there is much need to replace them.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i wanted to get the zpi stage 1 turbo kit and just wanted to make sure my engine wouldnt blow

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
ZPI is charging $600 for a set of pistons (which is too much), and if everything is installed properly it won't blow... immediately. ZPI and Dezod has too many issues (particularly relating to fuel) that they didn't address properly.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Quite a bit of miles is very relative. Quite a bit in the industry means 250k, not 5k or 10k. I've heard about these guys, and Scionspeed claimed they had four cars, but even across all four cars they didn't have 100k miles.

I can get a lot of half-assed stuff to run for 5 or 10, even 25k.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so wait is the zpi stage turbo good or not?? from what i read its a pretty good hook up.. the only thing is i herd someone say something about clsoe mode after 1500k miles..... anyways.. If i get the zpi turbo stage 1 kit.. will i be good for awhile?? cuase i have 16k on my car and i got it 2-3 months ago.....

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
if by pretty good hookup you mean reducing the service life of your engine significantly...

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
If you are willing to assume complete responsibility for anything that goes wrong and fix it out of your pocket, then it's probably a good deal for you. If you bought your car to drive and be reliable in any form or fashion (like you NEED your car to get to work/school, etc, and don't have a spare ride) then it probably isn't a good deal for you. It's really entirely up to you and your pocketbook.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
"Quite a few" is what I got from them. I'll be sure to ask exactly how many miles because I'm really curious as well.

Like I've said, by the time I can afford a turbo, I'm sure there'll be enough miles on enough cars to make an informed desicision

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
[Offtopic]PhamKL, in case no one else has said this to you, it's good to have another person who knows what he's talking about on the site. I hope you'll stay and continue to contribute.[/offtopic]

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I mean i'm willing to pay for most anything... I just dont wanna blow my engine right away. I mean maybe later on its ok
. no but for real, could i get at least 150k + miles???? if I get it tuned. and when i say out of it i mean the engine. and if i'ma turbo my car zpi is the way to go???

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
That's not a bet I would take. I wouldn't expect more than 75k on a boosted NA engine before rebuild time unless you did it the way TRD did with the SC, so boost doesn't hit hard until you are well into the high rpm range.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Why not Buff up the engine then turbo charge it? i could be terribly wrong but if your worried about the pistons and stuff breaking down before 150k+ miles then why not buff it up and get all the parts required for the engine not to break down?

As i said i could be terribly wrong and probally am.

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
Originally posted by doNna@Jan 16 2006, 02:46 PM
why not leave it alone...
Why do people mod anything? Because it tickles their pickle, floats their boat, etc etc etc... and most of all because they want to.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by doNna@Jan 16 2006, 03:01 PM
your car may be faster than mine now (and even faster soon) but mine will be faster once your engine somehow blows up after 50k miles or so.
yeah that maybe the case but i will have fun being faster until it blows up...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.