Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After washing my tC (Mr Clean Autodry), I found three rock chips: two on the hood and one on the front fender. I have had the car for only a month now and this sorta irks me. My wife's car (a Corrolla) doesn't have any chips in the hood and she has had it for two years.

I know that cars will get blemishes, rock chips, scratches and the like, but what I found funny (i'm no car expert) is that the paint doesn't have a thickness to it from the chip on the hood. I was expecting to see some layers of paint. Has anyone else experienced this? I see gray material right where the chip is, and no layering of paint around it.

On Scion Life I found this post: http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30013
regarding a lot of other people with similar problems. I don't think the paint should chip like this; I'll need a new paint job after a year.

Is this paint defective? Comments, and experiences would be appreciated.

From what I have read the 2006 Scions have a new paint lot that will be used.

The camera that I have can't get a clear enough shot of the rock chips, so no pictures.

·
Registered
832 Posts
The paint is very thin on these cars, but I wouldn't call it defective. I wish I had waxed my car when I first got it to help protect the paint, but I didn't a couple of chips here and there is my punishment.

·
Registered
15,001 Posts
Originally posted by Plissken@Jun 25 2005, 09:18 PM
You have a pebble or rock shot at you at 50-80 mph and see how well you fair. Rock chips are a fact of life.
haha good point...this paint is definately the weak link as it is in most cars nowdays. drives my gf nuts when we wash it, but i have to remind her its normal, especially from I-5 driving. only thing that disturbs me isnt that it chips, its the type of chip. it almost looks like "pitting" that you see when there is an eletric charge running through metal, mostly seen in aluminum boats. im keeping an eye on it just to prevent any contamination from getting into the affected areas.

·
Registered
266 Posts
if the paint were defective everytime it rained it would be peeling >____< rock chips are rock chips. gotta deal with it, we are not the only ones. i spoke to my friends about how mad it made me and they were like oh okay its bound to happen lee!! ^^

·
Registered
15,001 Posts
big difference between the chips i have experienced and the ones i get on this car. a picture and drawing would help, but thats too much effort for demonstration's sake. among the rather long list of cars ive owned, all of them had chips. these are strange in their shape and depth.

·
Registered
15,001 Posts
not the only way a paint is defective. i expect normal wear and tear, and these very well may be normal, but i am going to monitor the chips. theyre abnormal in depth and shape. among the large quantity of cars ive owned, theyve all had chips from rocks, but none of this nature. anyone that has worked with metal and electricity would be familiar with the description of "pitting", dont think it is pitted at all, but its the best way to describe the condition. pictures and drawings would help, but too much time and work for descriptions's sake. still love it either way;)

·
Registered
243 Posts
is that only for 05's? im getting an 06 so i think i should be safe right? right?

·
Registered
22 Posts
As soon as we got our tC last Oct, I had Clear Bra (or something like it) put on the entire front of the car. I've since taken a few rocks and haven't had any chips. On a daily basis, I hardly notice the film coving the front end. I paid $400 installed. Cheap compared to others in my area.

Here's a link to how it's applied and what it looks like.
http://www.swedespeed.com/news/publish/Fea...rinter_161.html

I'd say the front of this car is so low (like my old Civic) that's it's probably still worth adding it to your car. After all, it's only going to get worst.

Try not to tailgate or ride behind people too close. This helps too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just remembered that I got the Invinca-Shield. The kit covers the entire front end, including the fenders and mirrors. The hood piece comes back (covers) 15 inches from the lip of the car at the center point..

·
Registered
2 Posts
that is not true i just went out and bought a 06 tc about a week ago...and was driving free way didnt hear nothing hit my car...the next day i look at the car and there is a dent/stone chips where the rock hit...like that one guy i am very pissed off do to the fact the car wasnt even a week old...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Was just at my local dealer this morning about my paint. I know for a fact that a rock did not hit my car and I have a 1/2 inch chip on the hood. He practically called me a lier and it looked like a roc chip. I said that

"That would have been a damn big rock to cause that big a chip!" Anyway the chip actually came from bird doo or bug guts. I was washing my AP tC and wipped the stuff off and there was bare metal showing! It looks like its triing to spider web out too. I have to wait to see a district rep or something. Its obvious these people don't want to do anything about it. I also have the fingernail scatches under the door handle.

The stuff that caused the hole was only on there from morn to evening before iI washed it off.

PAINT SUCKS

Luv the car though.

Going to call the complaint line too.

Be Cool

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.