Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a complaint about the tC being comfortable for long drive. Well, everybody is different, and I can appreciate that; but, the wife and I just completed a round trip from Sacramento, CA to Cedar Rapids, IA over the July 4th weekend. We covered 3704 miles in a grand total of 54 hours and 45 minutes including all stops. I have a back injury for which I am considered partially disabled (10%), and I had no problems finding comfort in the car even after more than 24 hours of driving.

We took the wife's Flint Mica (it's now the bug covered Flint Mica) with my wheels and tires so she wouldn't have to drive the manual. Gas mileage was as expected, between a low of 26.8 and a high of 29.7. The car ran perfectly on 85 octane at altitude, and ran perfectly on 10% ethanol blends. We had no issues, problems, or complaints for the whole trip (except the road noise, and I'll be talking to raamaudio about fixing that). Everything in and on the car performed flawlessly, as it should.

Special thanks to Mike Valentine for the V1 radar detector, it kept me out of trouble on 5 occasions when my speed could have been problematic for a radar enabled police officer.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I love my V1. Nothing more to say about radar detectors.

The Toyo T1S's are just fine, no significant wear at all, as expected.

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
My tC's pretty damn comfy. I did the Palm Springs round trip back in April and had no problems whatsoever.

Normally, I'm pretty uncomfortable being in the car too long.

And yes, the V1 rocks.

·
Registered
15,001 Posts
perfectly comfortable! 20k miles and no complaints on the comfort issue, its one of the reasons we bought the car.

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
Only complaint I got is that my butt tends to go numb after ~6+hrs... other than that it's real smooth. I used to drive a Avalon XLS, so I'm not expecting a friggin land yacht. The worst complaint I've had is from my friend that is 6'5, he just can't get comfortable since he isn't able to stretch out fully (he could in the Avalon).

For me personally, the only thing that would make those long trips more enjoyable is....

No traffic.
No cops.
No speed limit.
No construction.
Curvy roads.

·
Registered
339 Posts
longest trip so far in my tC has been 350 miles

it performed as it should and i found the seats very comfortable. it took me a minute to settle in the seat but i finally found one that worked.

the welcomeness that the interior offers could have sold me on this car

·
Registered
175 Posts
I agree with Obike. I used to have a 97 jeep wrangler before my scion so anything is pretty darn comfy compared to that.

Only one problem for me-- in Virginia radar detectors are illegal!
that really sucks because im always doing between 15-40 mph over the speed limit

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
The farthest I've driven in my tC is the commute to work, which is about an hour. Never had any comfort issues, and I'm 6'3" and can stretch out just fine in the tC. Guess that extra 2 inches in height can make a difference.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Originally posted by viva_la_tc@Jul 7 2005, 08:43 AM
I agree with Obike. I used to have a 97 jeep wrangler before my scion so anything is pretty darn comfy compared to that.

Only one problem for me-- in Virginia radar detectors are illegal!
that really sucks because im always doing between 15-40 mph over the speed limit
I fully agree I commuted every week Sacramento to San Jose once a week in a Wrangler.....

This is like heaven.

·
Registered
107 Posts
the tC is pretty comfortable but i gotta say there is not enough leg room for me.im 6'1 and it feels like my legs are smashed together when braking, shifting, all that stuff.have yet to take any road trips though

·
Registered
319 Posts
tC is very comfy... I drove from San Jose to Los Angeles (about 5 hours) with like two quick stops along the way and was fine.. other than being bored out of my mind. I hate taking trips alone!

·
Registered
127 Posts
^^ haha, was gonna say about my trip from SJ to LA too, except I had to take 2 naps instead of two quick stops. not much to complain about comfort in the tC. i only got a bit stiff because it's common knowledge that if you're stuck in a position for too long, it'd make anybody a bit stiff

edit: spelling

·
Registered
86 Posts
i've done 8k in the last 2 months, and it's been REALLY comfortable.. esp. at night, i've had to watch falling asleep on a couple of occasions

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
I also don't think that there's a comfort issue with the tC, the furthest I've driven is from home to Gainesville which is about 180 miles, 2.25 hrs.

Ryan, I would definitely recommend the V1. Worth every penny.

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
Did a 16hr drive Sunday from 1PM-5AM Monday (Dallas to Huntsville to Auburn). I drove the entire way and it was pretty fun, although I kinda zoned out around Mississippi...

Was good fun
2k miles in 5 days.

·
Registered
202 Posts
LOL Boxer, that's one cool trip. Now I think I should visit my parents in SF with my car

One thing I can't stand car reviews and magazines if how often these rich white white males who drive free benz, caddies, Bimmers, and get free flights into Detroit and German every week for free meals, hotel, and joy rides, complain about car "noises" and "harsh rides" in cars under 30k.

The tC is as comfortable as a Camry, but more sport tuned like an Accord. It's quite a comfy ride even in terrible NY potholes. I used to drive a Prelude 1996. If people ever think their car is not comfy, they should be in a 96 Prelude.

If people complain about ride comfort in a tC, they have more issues then just a car.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Originally posted by shifter@Aug 16 2005, 10:08 AM
...more sport tuned like an Accord... I used to drive a Prelude 1996. If people ever think their car is not comfy, they should be in a 96 Prelude.
I was about to say ...an Accord is sport tuned?
I guess you meant the coupe model right?

I used to drive a Prelude before my tC as well, a '88 prelude. took it for 600miles roundtrips once a month and I never thought of it as uncormfortable, bumpy yes, uncomfortable no. it was a great car, maybe the '96 is that different?... anyways, i do think the tC is more comfortable than a Camry. It's probably because I was able to adjust my seat to my exact need. (i'm speaking of driver's seat experience only)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.