Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im getting 2 x2's which run 1500rms each. ive been looking for a sub that will push out 3000watts to run them, but wouldnt the subs sound distorted at 1500 watts each? wouldnt it sound better to run them just below the highest recommended rms rating, like 1300rms each sub instead of 1500 each sub?

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
dont you mean 2x12's........and your looking for an amp

anyway, why would it be a bad idea? dont you need an amp that pushes the RMS atleast? like if a sub is 1500 w, wouldnt you need an amp that pushes out atleast 1500 w?

·
Registered
515 Posts
This is how I do my set ups. I right now have two D6 subs 800 watts each 400RMS. They are ran togeather so I am pushing them with a HK2000D which is 1800 watts. So I am actual pushing them with a little more power then they are rated for, I have the gain turned down a little but the speakers can handle it and don't distort. So those X2's which are a lot better than my D6, and they can handle a lot of power. Don't worry about blowing those subwoofers, Just the first 10 days or so don't max it out with power, give it a few days to break in.

·
Registered
31 Posts
ok, first off...what the heck are you trying to do to your hearing??? 3000 watts???

I've heard of people who salvage vehicles that that much power can shake the welds apart

but back to your question: RMS is the constant power that the speakers can handle. Make sure you don't confuse thing with Peak Power, because they are totally different beasts. Usually RMS is 1/2 of peak power, so if you get an amp that will put out 2 times RMS, you should be fine. Sometimes peak is much more than 2 times RMS, but that allows for long throws with subwoofers...so it's a good design. But in that case, don't just look for an amp that will push your subs to their peak...you can possibly destroy them that way.

And lastly:
power can be provided to your subs at whatever level you need, it just depends on the resistance of your subs. if you have 4 ohm subs (which are typical) or if you have subs with dual voice coils (very customizable) you have to match the specs of the amp to the subs. if you want to run 3000 watts to 2 ohms (2x 4ohm subs in paralell circuit), you'll have to make sure that the amp is 2 ohm stable. I found one that is close to your specs, but it's quite there for 2 ohm:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-tYCVyzkAkOP/c...30&I=575T3001BD

If you have DVC (dual voice coils) on your subs (I suspect), if you run those in parallel, with 2 ohm setup for each sub, you'll be able to pull 3000watts at 1 ohm (2x 2 ohm subs in parallel).

NOTE!!!
make sure you run your subs around their recommended RMS level otherwise you risk burning up their voice coils which will destroy not only the musicality of the subs, but their functionality.

Best of luck with the system...try not to go deaf??

·
Registered
515 Posts
Here are the specs for his subwoofers:
X2 Series Common features
Dual 2ohm VC
Aluminum Wound VC
400oz Double Stacked Magnet
Thermo Cooled Motor
Bumped back plate for max. excursion
High Roll Layer
Double Layered Spiders
Carbon Fibre Cone
Carbon Fibre Dustcap
Rubber Sealant Gasket

HK12X2:
1500w RMS
3000w MAX
SPL: 88.9db @ 1w/1m
Mounting Depth 8"
Diamter: 11"
Vented: 3 cubes
Port 48sq/in 14.5" long
Sealed: 1.5-2.25 cubes

Now note he is going to have two of these in his trunk (he is talking to me about getting a third) Right now with the right amps he will drop around upper 140's easy. I am actual thinking 150

For the people that I know that use these subs, they put 1800 watts to each sub. I am sending him free ear plugs and in a week or two me and a few guys are going to go test the cars security
cause I want those speakers!

·
Registered
515 Posts
ohm

n 1: a unit of electrical resistance equal to the resistance between two points on a conductor when a potential difference of one volt between them produces a current of one ampere 2: German physicist who formulated Ohm's Law (1787-1854)[/b]

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Hey LaVaism, i talked to you a while back about getting X2's i doubt i am still going to get that for fear of having to get another alternator. if i get this steup, will i need a new alternator?

2=MA1000XL
• 500W Rms
• 1000W Max
• Dual 4-Ohm Voice Coils
• 240 Oz. Double Stacked Magnets
• Mounting Depth: 5.8”
• Mounting Diameter: 9.3"
• Optimum Vented Box: 1.5 Cu/Ft
Round Port Diameter: 3" x 6”
Square Port Area: 2.5” x 5” x 12.25”
• Optimum Sealed Box: 0.75 Cu/Ft
• Tuning @ 40Hz

1=HK-802SX
2 x 500W RMS @ 4 Ohm Stereo
2 x 800W RMS @ 2 Ohm Stereo
2 x 1400W RMS @ 1 Ohm Stereo
2 x 2200W RMS @ 0.5 Ohm Stereo
1 x 4400W RMS @ 1 Ohm Bridged

will this still give massive bass?
will i need a new amp?
what is the perfect amout of watts to use if u want rediculous bass?

·
Registered
515 Posts
That amp is way to big for the XL subwoofers. It would rip them apart, thats a 4,000 watt amp! That amp will definatly require some modifications to the cars electrical system. That 802sx amp was really made for the Kore 15 sub or people running multiple subwoofers (4 or more) This is the system I am reccomending to everybody
1 x2 subwoofer
1 hk2000D amp
0 gauge wires
comp RCA's

That right there is a good 1,000 dollars.

with that setup alternator shouldn't have to much of a problem (unless you go on a road trip and just blast the stereo the whole way but I think your ear drums would make you shut it down soon enough
)

For first time systems I would reccomend something like that, don't go to big. Remeber the bigger the system the more likely your not going to be able to play it. These are competition systems you guys are looking at and they put out serious sound. 145 dB will give you a massive headache. Hearing loss will come soon afterwards, and ear drums will rupture. some of these older guys will tell you the same thing.

demented's system is going to pound, I don't know how his alternator is going to hold out, hopefully good! Right now we are concerned about is his amp. Before I tell you guys anything about these systems I am going back and talking to the people that use them in the comps so they know how they react better than anybody.

If you seriously want some outrageious amount of bass you'll need new alternator, wires, batteries, suspension will have to be reworked to support the added weight, back seats taken out, sound proofing like no other.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Originally posted by tomasro@May 14 2005, 12:25 PM
ok, first off...what the heck are you trying to do to your hearing??? 3000 watts???

I've heard of people who salvage vehicles that that much power can shake the welds apart

but back to your question: RMS is the constant power that the speakers can handle. Make sure you don't confuse thing with Peak Power, because they are totally different beasts. Usually RMS is 1/2 of peak power, so if you get an amp that will put out 2 times RMS, you should be fine. Sometimes peak is much more than 2 times RMS, but that allows for long throws with subwoofers...so it's a good design. But in that case, don't just look for an amp that will push your subs to their peak...you can possibly destroy them that way.

And lastly:
power can be provided to your subs at whatever level you need, it just depends on the resistance of your subs. if you have 4 ohm subs (which are typical) or if you have subs with dual voice coils (very customizable) you have to match the specs of the amp to the subs. if you want to run 3000 watts to 2 ohms (2x 4ohm subs in paralell circuit), you'll have to make sure that the amp is 2 ohm stable. I found one that is close to your specs, but it's quite there for 2 ohm:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-tYCVyzkAkOP/c...30&I=575T3001BD

If you have DVC (dual voice coils) on your subs (I suspect), if you run those in parallel, with 2 ohm setup for each sub, you'll be able to pull 3000watts at 1 ohm (2x 2 ohm subs in parallel).

NOTE!!!
make sure you run your subs around their recommended RMS level otherwise you risk burning up their voice coils which will destroy not only the musicality of the subs, but their functionality.

Best of luck with the system...try not to go deaf??
amp has to be ohm stable to be running (2) 2ohm subs at that set up
just adding in

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.