• No, that's dumb.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What's rhinoliner?

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built my first box out of plywood and it turn out well. But it doesn't fit in the car properly(too tall). So a guy said to me one day, "I am going to build you a kicka$$ ported box out 3/4"mdf." I said, "oh no, more money down the drain." blah blah blah Then he says i am not going to charge you and then my eyes lit up. i now have to come up with a design that he can carve with a router. i have a few ideas. i will post those in a second. but then i mentioned to him that i will get the box rhinolined and he said that would help the sound a lot. what do you guys think about rhinolining the box on the exterior?

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are my designs. Which one looks better or which one needs work. The letters tC is actually going to be the badge off the back of my car.

· Registered
453 Posts
kicker actually produces a box with a coating similar to rhino lining...so i would say go for it....all else fails, put carpet over it

i would say first left or third down on left

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Come on guys. almost 70 views and only a few replies.

· Registered
2,278 Posts
Well i have heard of the rhino lining stuff, i just don't know if it actually works or not. I have heard all sorts of myths, stuffing your box with fiberglass insulation, all sorts of stuff, i just don't know about any of it working. I guess I wouldn't ever do anything like that because I like my box pretty
I would do the box with the Scion Logo, ditch the tC under the woofer. Then cover the box with a short pile carpet that matches the rear carpeting being careful to get around all the curves of the scion logo.

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by courier11sec@Jul 12 2005, 09:44 PM
I like the idea, but line-x is supposedly better. I've seen both and actually agree. Line-X seems like a much nicer finished product to me.
I have a buddy who has done rhino in his backyard for many many years. i don't have access to line-x, at least not cost wise.

· Registered
4 Posts
I don't think it would hurt or help the sound but it would seal it. BUT you're going to have a vented so it doesn't really matter. Yeah the design you have above is a vented. You really have another set of problems all together. 1) you're gonna shake your car to death with a solo baric in a vented box 2) You better call stillwater designs and ask them to give you a box design or it ain't gonna go squat. I've got 2 12" solo's in sealed box with a rockford fosgate 360a2 and I can't hardly control these thing.

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1) you're gonna shake your car to death with a solo baric in a vented box
I have the dynamat xtreme installed and that is the same as most people that have 2 subs.

2) You better call stillwater designs and ask them to give you a box design or it ain't gonna go squat.
So what you are saying is that stillwater designs is the only company that can design a box that won't sound like crap?? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

[/QUOTE]I've got 2 12" solo's in sealed box with a rockford fosgate 360a2 and I can't hardly control these thing.
Why would you say #1 if you have 2 solo's in your car?
I agree, Either of the first two designs in the left hand column looks good, dragon thing a little too ricy. I also mounted my tc badge on my sub box, centered between two audiobahn alum cone woofers...Gotten many compliments. Good luck!
Actually, i decided to go the dragon route. It will be routed out and then rhinoed also. I may even put led's in the eyes. The dragon head will wrap around the box

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
WELL THE L7 VOICE COIL WENT OUT! What to do now????????????????

· Registered
2,278 Posts
Define went out...Do you mean you blew it up? I imagine this means your port was tuned incorrectly and you overheated the voice coil, or there was not enough air resistance so it extended beyond its limits. There isn't much you can do, just take the sub back to the store you bought it from, it should still be under warranty.

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I bought it off of ebay for 180 shipped. No Warrenty. It was in a sealed box <2 cu ft. i have kicker 600.1 amp.

I think i am going to try to sell the sub. Then i will get an audiopipe 12" to take its place. At cost mind you.

Also what do you guys think of me getting a seperate amp to power a 10" woofer. I would have the sound of the booming 12" and the hard hitting 10". Or is that a waste of money?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.