Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my White tC Thursday, and something funny happened on the way home. It was all shiny and armor-alled, and I'm (gingerly) driving it down the Grand Central (Long Island) and this guy in a slightly-riced Civic pulls up next to me and yells, "What model is that!?".."it's a Scion tC!".. "Bitchin' ride, dude!" How's that for a review!

I sorely miss my 1997 200SX SE-R, but me an ol' Bessie had a good run. Time to start new.

I'm surprised by how solid and "screwed-together" this car feels. I can feel the tC's extra weight all around me (especially coming off a very light and nimble SE-R), but it doesn't give me the feeling of sluggishness, but of being grounded and poised. It feels to me like a grown up version of what I once had. More "level-headed". Nice stock radio, too..
Oh, and love the shift action.

HOWEVER..

Anyone else having issues with the stupid radio cover?? You know those three little dot thingees? I press them.. and nothing. Then I press them, and press them harder.. and finally the door opens. Sometimes it takes 7 tries, sometimes it opens on the first try.

Argh! Unacceptable in a car of this quality.

That's my only beef at this point, really. I'm loving it here so far.

Ed

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
The "stabbing" motion at the three dots seems to work for a lot of people.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've had the same issue. I don't know if it is there to release the door or not. I've resorted to just pushing on the top part of the door and it opens. Probably bad for the mechanism of the door, but then again, I don't want to have to push the damn thing 18 times to get it to open. I've had mine since last wednesday and tried numerous times to push the little dots on the bottom of the door and it has yet to actually open when I do that. This is why I resorted to pushing it open from the top.

Oh yes, and welcome to the site!!!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Hey Ed, welcome to the site. I'm also from LI, take the cross island almost every day, maybe I'll see ya around :c) Anyways, I've had similar beef with the cover, I just keep it open all the time now, it's easier too when I wanna put in a cd, or change the station, or whatever. I also found that when you brefly press hard, kinda like poking it in the three dots, it usually opens from the first poke. It's kinda funny when you really think about it, all of us meticulously poking at the stereo. I really like the stock unit too.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
I actually push the far right corner. Other people have pushed the dots (in the middle) and that has worked fine. Like Alex said, though, mostly now I just leave it open, so it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the welcomes... great to be here!

I'll try all these techniques to see what works, but it's such a shame that a technique is even necessary. It sounds as if we're describing how to fix the old piece-o-crap television by whacking the side of it. Maybe this is covered on the bumper-to-bumper dealie, hehe.

Actually, another minor beef:

Any idea why the sunroof retracts halfway, then stops, then retracts the rest of the way? Why the pause?

Ed
white tC, very stock at this point

·
Registered
936 Posts
do you guys have to push the sunroof retract button again after it pauses the first time? or does it do it automatically. -t

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
I have to push mine again.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Originally posted by Zygote55@Sep 20 2004, 04:04 PM
I have to push mine again, or keep holding hte button down. There's a pause when it's closing too.
If you read your manual, you will find that the stop opening AND closing is a "feature."

Don't ask me why. Something I think has to do with wind buffeting in the fully open position. Maybe inverse-buffeting on the closing position.
Lord knows. Evidently some brilliant engineer thought we would like it!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
yes, we're obviously too dumb to realize why you have to push the same button twice to get the moon roof open. It's also a minor thing that bugs me subconciously and only comes out in sarcastic outbursts.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I don't really mind it too much, it just gets me every time! I'm there holding the damn thing for an extra few seconds and only then come to a realization that this "feature" has the best of me. I don't hate it, it's just a bit annoying, that's all.

·
Registered
228 Posts
moonroof

oh, oh. now i understand, that matrix probably has it as a "feature" as well... i thought it was defective or smth... anyhow, for me it does get frustrating sometimes...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts