Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate the rev limiter on the tC..jus by smashing on the gas you can already hear that its a beautiful engine..until you hit 6200 rpm..i know somebody out there must hate this damn limiter..i know im not the only one..does anybody know any information on rev limiters and if there is a way to get rid of it..the only way i know of is by remapping the ECU or by exchanging the ECU as a whole..get back guys..thanx

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Do you know what happens to an engine when you go past redline?

Do you know why the rev limiter is there?

If you knew the answers to these questions, you'd be happy there is a rev limiter. The speed limiter definitely sux, but the rev limiter is your friend.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Yes, the speed limiter does suck. You don't know how many times I've wanted to go 150 but just haven't been able to due to the speed limiter.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe he thinks it'd be fun to watch some pistons come flying through the hood of his car?

the only idiot that would be able to pull this off is someone who doesnt know how to drive..i knoe exactly what a rev limiter does, its in the name..guess u guys jus dont know how to drive without one? you need a fuckin limiter to help you drive or what?

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
Taking it past where the rev limiter is is utterly pointless. 1) You do damage to the engine, 2) By the time you've hit redline you are already losing power.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Originally posted by Obike@Dec 13 2004, 01:21 PM
Taking it past where the rev limiter is is utterly pointless. 1) You do damage to the engine, 2) By the time you've hit redline you are already losing power.
Reminds me of an s2000... rev up to 9gs but theres no power up there.

·
Premium Member
7,429 Posts
besides that, if you did not have a speed limiter in fifth gear you can make 130MPH at the red line.

30 in first
50 in second
80 in third
110 in fourth
140 in fifth
on 225/40Z18 tires

not much less with the stock tires and rims.

lo bux, you care to back me up on this one?

but, if you do want to destroy a car that performs quite well, have at it. I can get you the number for the service department at my dealership.

this topic is just silly.

·
Premium Member
7,429 Posts
Originally posted by QuadinScionTC+Dec 13 2004, 10:45 AM-->QUOTE (QuadinScionTC @ Dec 13 2004, 10:45 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Obike
@Dec 13 2004, 01:21 PM
Reminds me of an s2000... rev up to 9gs but theres no power up there. [/b]
sounds about right to me.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I hate the Rev Limiter. I should be able to go in Reverse whenever I want to!

·
Registered
290 Posts
The I-VVTi system is what limits the rev line on the tC... the build up of the springs in the mechanisim are relatively soft....
so, with one you get the other... the next limiting factor is the valves themselfs... large disp. 4's need to flow well... more flow means more size... more size is more weight.... take the low end torque, and love it, cause thats what you got.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I don't think so. Mean piston speed is the problem, the 2AZ hits 20 meters per second at exactly 6250 rpm. Mean piston speed over 20 meters per second means short service life.

Yes, I know very well the Integra Type R goes up to 24 meters/second, but I also know they designed the engine to do that. Conservative engineering practice (Toyco's founding principle) says redline at 20 meters/second will last at least 200,000 miles.

This is true of all engines from the smallest model airplanes to the largest container ships. Mean piston speed determines the limit, not valve springs. If your valves float before you hit 20 meters/second, your engine has not been well designed. Even Toyco's legendary 2JZ-GTE and 3S-GTE engines are not limited by their valvetrain in stock form, they are limited by mean piston speed.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
watch it kid.

or what? its an open forum..dont take it up the ass

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.