Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen some people talking about replacing their stock spark plugs with "better" ones, including Bosch Platinum +4 plugs and some three-letter brand I can't recall right now.

For those of you who would know something about this, what are the pros and cons of changing to "better" sparkplugs? Is there an advantage to doing so? If so, what brand would you choose?

Thanks!

·
Registered
619 Posts
I wouldnt recomend changing them Our cars use iridium plugs already. IMHO i would leave them a lone. I have also seen somewhere that if you dont use these plugs you will have issue if they know about it if you need warrenty work done.

·
Registered
936 Posts
FACT: Bosche platinum +4 are absolute GARBAGE. DO NOT EVER USE THEM!

A .40$ spark plug with copper electrode will spark harder and faster than a Platinum plug, which will give better performance and fuel efficiency. The plugs in our vehicles (as mentioned above) are Iridium coated, which is the best availible.....and should not be changed for well over 70k miles. Hope that helps - T!

·
Registered
999 Posts
Some one should make a FAQ about keeping the tC in tip top shape.

Change Oil at XXXX miles.
Change Air/Oil Filters at XXXX.
Change Sparks, etc.
It'd be nice to have it all in a thread and stickied.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Originally posted by SilverX@Aug 12 2004, 07:35 PM
Some one should make a FAQ about keeping the tC in tip top shape.

Change Oil at XXXX miles.
Change Air/Oil Filters at XXXX.
Change Sparks, etc.
It'd be nice to have it all in a thread and stickied.
Thats a good idea.... very useful for ppl who lack car knowledge... like me

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I agree.... the only thing I may change is the wires for a lower resistance wire.... but not for a while.... once I get intake, exhaust, i'll start tuning... I wish there was somthing like a S-AFC for toyotas!

·
Registered
675 Posts
yeah i 2nd that.. no reason to change from the irdium spark plugs.. only way you'd need to is if the engine was heavily modified.. and that basically means the engine was re-done.. I've seen and played around with aftermarket spark plugs and always came back to the NGK brand that Honda uses.. yeah I am still talking about Honda since i haven't taken delivery of my tC yet.. but the same thing applies..

I would stick with the stock plugs, especially the heat range.. did that once and ran a hotter plug.. not a good thing to do.. ouch!

·
Registered
3 Posts
To the guy that needs to know when to change the oil and filters, its like 5000 miles for oil and 50k for airfilter, you can just look at the manual. This car is dope, don't plan to do ne thing but change the oil once a year and the air filter a couple times over the life of the car (coolant change at 100k, plugs at 120k, those are the only items called for replacement other than checking and parts that wear out ie, clutch and brakes), My moms toyota 1990 corolla with 60k miles after 14 years has only gotten like less than one oil change per year, and she drives it all local short trips and has had no problems, so change it little as you want and since its a toyota it'll probably last (except for some 2.2 liter and 3.0 liter V6 that had sludge problems) forever, or change as frequently as you want and have peace of mind.

To the guy about spark plugs manual says to change at 120k, also, it uses distributorless ignition, so you don't need need spark plug wires. Low resistance wire is not what you looking for, ignitions use very little current, so low resistance wires won't make a difference, its the retention of HIGH voltage from distributor to plug that makes a better spark, better wires will do that, its a combination of electrical properties.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the advice -- obviously the smart thing to do is stick with the factory spark plugs.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I bet a Corolla (or any Toyota engine) could make it to 60K with one or two oil changes - you really have to beat a Toyota engine to kill it. If you want your engine to last long, be efficient, and live up to its potential, however, you should definitely get your oil changed every 5000 miles. A well maintained Camry can easily hit 300,000 miles with original engine and transmission. I drove my last car as hard as possible, a '95 Camry from 60K-116K miles, and it NEVER gave me any running problems. It was the victim of much teenage stupidity (neutral drops in an auto, redlining by shifting the auto, heavy acceleration and braking all the time... at least I got it out of my system before my tC) Only after it began heavily leaking oil around 110K did I truly neglect it, putting a quart of oil in when the light would come on every two days or so. The engine threw a piston rod at about 85 MPH on my way to work... and that was that.

·
Registered
409 Posts
man, camry's last forever, i remember my family had a ghetto one maybe from when iwas like 2 or 3 or something thats like 13 years ago and like we gave it to my cousin and it still runs, its beast =), how bout Toyota clutches and stuff are they strong?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I worked in a Toyota garage for about two years and they run forever, as long as you keep up with the maintenance. We had one guy who was a traveling insurance salesman and always brought his car in for service at our garage and last time I checked he had about 475,000 miles on his '96 Camry. One thing that I might add that was true (in my expirence) for Toyotas, I don't know aobut the Scion, was that you need to keep Toyota or TRD plugs and wires in the Toyotas. I spent countless Saturday afternoons at our garage swapping out Pep Boys plugs & wires for Toyota plugs & wires when people would come in complaining that they just did a tune up on their car/truck and it now runs like crap. We would just swap out the plugs and the wires and everything would run like new. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
48 Posts
hi guy's (and gal's)
the only sparkplug like mod that i would do would be to get some Nology "Hot-Wire's" if they make some for our cars. My previous exp w/ them was a vary good one. it was on a 03 tiburon GT V6, and let me tell you, it totaly made a diferance accross the board. better throttle responce, better gas mileage, smoother idleing, smoother acceleration, Etc. now let me say that this was with a custom grounding kit that was properly made to optamaly ground the capacitor ground off the "hot-wire" and the motor. sorry about the Sp but i'm perty tired..

·
BOOST its what I do!
6,604 Posts
Our Cars have NGK spark plugs in them wich by the way i need one cause one of my plugs the ceramic is cracked so i am running on #### plugs right now but i need one cause i am tierd of using these platinum plugs.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
You sure they are NGK, not Denso?

·
BOOST its what I do!
6,604 Posts
Yes i am sure cause i took them out when my car was missfireing because the ceramic was cracked so yea they are NGK and i am looking at them right now as i type this.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Originally posted by bluesciontc@Aug 22 2005, 05:01 PM
Yes i am sure cause i took them out when my car was missfireing because the ceramic was cracked so yea they are NGK and i am looking at them right now as i type this.
Cool. Nice to know Toyco did not cheap out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My scion has 63,000 miles on it. Ive had to replace the oil drip pan and the waterpump(which was covered under my warranty) Now I'm being told I need to replace my spark plugs. (My car was having a difficult time starting up)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts