Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the topic says, does anybody know any rules or regulations when it comes to the license plate? I know you can get your own license plate customized, but i wanted to repaint my plate. I was planning to powder coat the frame old school blue and highlite the numbers/letters with yellow like how they use to do it. Everything would remain the same, the only thing that would change would be the colors. If anybody has anything or any clue on this topic, please let me know. thanks for the help and Happy Holidays!

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I can't find it in the Leginfo site, but I'm pretty sure I've seen it in the Driver's handbook. It is illegal to modify the plate in any way. I could be wrong, but even if I am wrong, changing the plate the way you described would be an instant pull over.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I can't find any info about it either. I'm probably going to end up calling and asking them anyways and see what they say. They're probably going to end up rejecting it.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I would say that is a no-no.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Ok, I looked it up. Sections 4463 and 4464 of the California Vehicle Code make it illegal to alter a California motor vehicle license plate or display an altered license plate.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Thanks Marty! Scroll down to 4463.5 and 4464, it's near the bottom. It's very clear about not being legal, and pretty clear about the fines.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
The reason I didn't quote the code section is that the statutes are a little bit confusing. Section 4463 seems to require an intent to defraud, while section 4464 clearly does not. Then, however, section 4464 says that the penalties for a violation of that section are provided in 4463, so...

I wouldn't want to go to court on it, though, in any event.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I guess it is a no-no. Thanks for the search guys. I appreciate all the help and info. So much for the retro look.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Check your state's DMV website. I didn't take the time to look at California's DMV site, but I know Virginia has close to 200 specialized plates. I don't know if this is the look you're going for or not, but here's the two "antique" automobile plates you can get... and I'm not sure if there's any requirements for getting them or not. It'd be funny to see a 2006 vehicle with antique plates lol

Good luck finding what you're looking for... if all else fails, move to Virginia.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Car has to be 25 years or more old to even qualify for antique plates. We have lots of specialty plates with premium prices for registration renewals. You just can't get an older style plate for a newer model car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.