Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about removing the downstream resonator from the exhaust and replacing it with just a piece of piping. I just wanted to know if this makes the exhaust too loud or if it changes the tone at all... Any help?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
The exhaust shop told me that it wouild make my exhaust about 15-20% louder than what it sounded like now, with that said I didn't do it.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I've heard couple of clips of tC without the resonator - sound much worse than just TRD muffler by itself and much louder.

My Matrix with TRD muffler and no resonator sounded like a fartpipe Civic, so I turned right back to the muffler shop and asked them to put the res back in.

·
Registered
272 Posts
i was actually thinkin of doing something similar to this...dropping the 2nd cat and the res all in one. i want to get some actual gain out of the exaust without throwing a code. and since the 2nd cat is downstream of the 2nd 02 sensor i shouldnt throw any codes. my only worry is that it will sound like garbage so if anyone has done something like tis post up a sound clip

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Originally posted by ZEROmotorsports@May 1 2005, 09:35 AM
i was actually thinkin of doing something similar to this...dropping the 2nd cat and the res all in one. i want to get some actual gain out of the exaust without throwing a code. and since the 2nd cat is downstream of the 2nd 02 sensor i shouldnt throw any codes. my only worry is that it will sound like garbage so if anyone has done something like tis post up a sound clip
It WILL sound like garbage. Creative Compacts offers a full exhaust kit without cat or resonator, but they don't recommend running it without a cat.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Here is another option, get a good perforated core straight through muffler and replace the resonator with it. You will be a bit louder but not excessively so, should help the rice sound a bit as well.

Why bother, if you looked into the resonator you would know, it has a very serious small passage and especially at one end, really chokes the rev range down. I noticed a fair amount more pull high up on the tach than I did with the resonator still on the car.

I have a straight pipe there for now and a reverse flow "turbo" muffler out back. This is just temp until build a full mandrel system for our turbo project. Sounds ok except one area in the rev range starts farting rice krispies out the back:(

Rick

·
Registered
742 Posts
Not yet, I am thinking about doing a major mod to the crossmember and running the exhaust right through it eliminating the S pipe all together:)

Not decided on that yet but do want to get the piping away from the intake manifold!

Rick

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK well i went ahead and did it. It is louder.. thats for sure. and at first i didnt like it, but I definitely feel a considerable gain in HP. Call me a fool or say its in my head all you want, but I definitely feel a gain. The tone didn't come out ricey at all... it sound exactly the same, just louder. All in all, i'm pleased with it, but I may be changine my whole set up for next summer. We'll see what happens as more aftermarket parts come out for the tC. I'll get a video as soon as possible.

Rob

·
Registered
224 Posts
is this something that you can do at home or do you need to bring it to a shop to do?

·
Registered
224 Posts
frost is the sound of your exhaust a lot louder now. do you have the stock exhaust or thr trd one?

·
Registered
414 Posts
He has the TRD!

- your welcome Rob!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have the stock exhaust on my tc, if I remove the resonator how will it make my car sound? Is it even worth doing?

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Will probably sound worse, no power gain and will be a complete waste of time and money. But if you are bored - why not

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Untrue... I definitely feel a difference in top end power. I had two people who had driven my car before the removal the they both feel it too so its not just me. And it doesn't sound bad... just louder. Tone is exactly the same... still no buz or fart sounds... I'm very happy with it. Don't knock it till you try it.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
People who can "feel" 1-2% increase in horsepower always amazed me.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Its amazing that you're not trusting me on this. I'm not some noob ricer who thinks stickers and a high wing make a fast car. I've tuned cars and have a lot of wrench time under my belt. I'm telling you it added power. How much, I can say and wont be able to until i can get to the dyno, but trust me, top end power was increased.

·
Registered
224 Posts
frost this is a question for you, I have the stock exhaust will it sound okay if I remove the resonator? Will It be a lot louder because I am trying to avoid that. I just want to be able to hear it during accleration. Thanks for your help

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.