Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I searched but couldnt find anything on this! I am trying to install a new HU, but I would like to know how to remove the old HU or dash so that I can install my new HU! Does anyone know how to do this without breaking anything? thanks.

· Registered
1,373 Posts
I thought there was a thread (or two) on this already, but I can't seem to find it either. I'm sure it isn't too complicated though... If you've got time to spare, you can order a Master Sheet from Crutchfield for a few bucks... they're very detailed.

· Registered
202 Posts
In the first couple pics, with the bezels removed, they just pull off. I think you have to do the one around the shifter first, then the one around the stereo. There are like 4 screws after that and just beware that the temp controlls and screen can fall.

· Registered
4,894 Posts
Yes, you have to put the car in neutral (Make sure the e-brake is set!), and PULL HARD on the sides of the lower center console by the shifter. It will pop up. You can unplug the cig lighter plug to remove the console and get it out of the way completely.

For the upper center console piece, pull the lower section of it (by the cubbyhole) towards you. It will pop up, then you can pull the rest of it up and towards you to remove it. You will need to remove the plug that goes into the HVAC controls (where the clock and lcd display is). It's a simple plug with a clip on it. The best thing to do is to close the radio door when you're removing it and putting it back on. It will tend to get in the way.

The HU is secured with 2 phillips head screws, and 2 10mm bolts, which you can use a screwdriver on as well. A 10mm ratchet with the extender socket arm will be easier to work with.

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok thanks man, im still very nervous about removing it i have never done a hu on a tc before, im still contemplating whether i should just take it to al & eds, even though im a lil short on cash right now

· Registered
4,894 Posts
It's no different than doing it in any other car. Just work on it - it's all color coded.

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im just worried about messin up the dash, thats the main thing im worried about.

· Registered
4,894 Posts
You'll be fine if you don't throw anything around or crush anything. It does take a lot of force to remove it, but you won't break anything. Be kinda careful putting the console pieces back on... especially the upper section - there are 3 tabs on the top part that slide into the dash. They need to be aligned properly or else it won't fit right.

· Registered
1,860 Posts
Yeah just on the bottom part by the shifter make sure to pull up and it will be a little tough but make sure NOT to pull straight up you need to pull back almost so that they clips will not bend that are down to the bottom of the shifter other than that its a piece of cake

· Registered
202 Posts
It's simple. Just take your time, give a fair bit of force but don't be brutal. It's nothing like a 95 Cavalier, that's for sure lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.