Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I was looking into getting a remote started for my tC . . . problem - it's a stick. Some people say you can't get a remote start with a stick and some people say you can . . . so can I? Does anyone have one? What's a good brand?

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Actually yes you can.

I know a bunch of people with MT cars and auto starts.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought so. I just can't have it in gear when parked and I have to have the clutch thing disabled - sorry for my lack of intelligence - the thing that makes you hold the clutch when you are starting it . . . I know it can be done, I did it in my Jeep. Can you help me with brands?

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
You can, but its a bad idea. I know that 50 people with MT cars will post that it's fine and no worries, but all of that goes out the window the one time you forget to set the parking brake.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Not sure of what brands of starters are good. I have a Viper 791XV Alarm w/ remote start..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies - I think I am going to live without the remote starter - I park in a garage and I wouldn't want it to bunny hop into anything, like the garage door.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yeah its definitly possible, but like basilisk said it all goes out the window with one small mistake. Also you'd have to find someone to do it for you. Most places won't do it for you due to liability issues.

·
Registered
508 Posts
i have a manual transmission in my car with the compustar remote start system installed by a well known car stereo shop in my town. and i don't have to worry about that one mistake because i've been driving manual transmissions for 9 years and i never leave the vehicle in gear when parked. i always use the emergency brake when i park it.

an auto start on a manual transmision is only as bad as the driver who doesn't pay attention to what they are doing. in my opinion if you know you wont leave it in gear then go for it. if you might leave it in gear then get yourself in the habit of leaving it out of gear everytime you park it. then get the remote start.

if you get the compustar and you already have the scion security in your car they will work together. my car shuts itself off, locks the doors, and sets the alarm for me. i don't have to do anything. its great i love it.

the compustar remote start will run you around 350 bucks. plus install. it also has other features like, turbo timer, valet, you can upgrade it to a two way remote so if someone is messing with your car or the alarm is going off the car will page you to come check out whats going on. its a really nice set up. well good luck.

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
You can do it, and you can also wire it so that if the car is in-gear it will not perform a remote start. It's all in how you wire it and install it.

If you were down here in Alabama I have a friend that installs these on the side (senior installer for the local Best Buy here) that has wired them for several MT's. Not a single one left in gear will remote-start.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Originally posted by KatiestC@Jan 17 2006, 09:40 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies - I think I am going to live without the remote starter - I park in a garage and I wouldn't want it to bunny hop into anything, like the garage door.
Good idea
. Remote Starters are awsome but for us people who drive manual transmition vehicles it can be very risky.

·
Registered
508 Posts
whats the fun in upgrading a car without the risks. install a body kit you risk hitting a cat and blowing the front end into a million pieces(fiberglass). people have risked putting something as small as different headlight bulbs in there car and burned out the housings bc the bulbs got to hot. its part of the game. its just a matter of being a bench warmer or the star player.

dont you think that people who build daily driven 500 horsepower show cars risk the car everytime they pull out of the driveway. of coarse. every time someone trys a DIY project on a car they are risking messing it up.

so im saying, if someone wants to put a remote start on there MT then that is there risk. just bc you dont want to take the risk that is fine for you but not for others.

like it was said previously, if you are worried about leaving it in gear wire the thing so it wont work when the car is in gear. problem solved.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will check it out at best buy tonight - I never leave my car in gear when parked - just because I'm the one who doesn't pay attention when they start the car and lets off the clutch - it's more risky for me to leave it in gear. Thanks again for the quick replies!!

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Stay away from Best Buy. Go to a custom auto/electronics shop. Best buy will mangle your car somehow.

·
Registered
508 Posts
i agree. go to a shop that has a good reputation. i dont consider best buy or circuit city or any other place like that to be a sterio shop. its like going to walmart to have a new set of tires installed on a 2000 dollar set of rims. something bad will happen bc they dont care. once in awhile you might get lucky and get the one person who actually cares about someone elses vehicle but not a chance i would want to take.

an actual sterio shop has to do a good job if they want to stay in business.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
At least the Best Buy/Circuit City will still be there a month later. Those stereo shops go out of business or turn over employees so quickly that a warranty from one of those places is worthless, IMO...

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Go to a chain stereo shop. We have one with several shops in my area.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Risking damaging your car with mods is your choice, putting a remote start on a MT is just asking for trouble, and what happens if you start it and somebody is standing in front of it? If you want to take a risk at doing something make sure it will only hurt your pocket book not somebodies life. The guy that posted that long bs was just stupid.

Anyways on a side note. DEI "viper" are in the works of making a remote start for MT that will detect if your in gear or not. Something along those lines. Check your state laws too. I know in NC no respectable shops will put remote start on a MT because they can get in just as much troulbe as the owner if the car hits something or somebody.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.