Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I want to relocate my battery to either the cargo area or rear passenger floor and also replace it with a slimmer lighter weight dry cell. Any input on ideas, kits, tie-downs, safety concerns (wrecks, leaks, etc) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have to say, ive seen kids do this with mustangs.. Its the dumbest idea possible, at least in a mustang. They are trying to go faster by moving the battery. Ill be honest, it gains you like 20hp and because you moved it and all the lights get all ####ed up and your guages and everything, that adds like 50whp.. its crazy

I dunno..

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Originally posted by thepda@Jan 6 2006, 12:42 PM
I have to say, ive seen kids do this with mustangs.. Its the dumbest idea possible, at least in a mustang. They are trying to go faster by moving the battery. Ill be honest, it gains you like 20hp and because you moved it and all the lights get all ####ed up and your guages and everything, that adds like 50whp.. its crazy

I dunno..
If that wasnt dripping with sarcasm, I dont know what was.

·
Registered
11,890 Posts
That weight you are relocating is negligible.

·
Registered
180 Posts
yeah, the weight of the battery won't make any significant difference.. and i like it there, outside of the cabin.. not having to worry about any fumes leaking.

though if you REALLY wanted to relocate it, i'd look into cutting up that foam on the left side of the trunk.. looks like there would be enough space there

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
40 lbs relocated from in front of the front axle to behind the rear axle negligible? I don't know if I'd say that.

·
Registered
204 Posts
It could help offset the driver weight if installed in the passenger rear. Might need a battery box that vents to the exterior for safety reasons.
Your battery will last longer in the car rather than being in the superhot engine bay.

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
If you use an Optima, there's very little hydrogen to vent, or if you go to a sealed cell battery there's no vent needed. Battery relocation is common when trying to get weight off the front of a car.

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
To get perfect 50/50 we need to move 145lbs from the front to the back. If the battery is 40lbs, then we are almost 1/3 way there.

·
Registered
892 Posts
has anyone here done it yet?

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Originally posted by zoltiz@Jan 7 2006, 04:47 PM
To get perfect 50/50 we need to move 145lbs from the front to the back. If the battery is 40lbs, then we are almost 1/3 way there.
Is that with, or without driver?

Although, I thik its close to 50/50 at this point. Unless your a pro driver, you cam probably make improvements by leaps and bounds in your performance just by becomming a better driver, not by trying to perfect your car's balance.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
I relocated my Sol's battery to the trunk-- and trust me, moving almost 2% of the car's total weight to the rear made a very noticeable difference. Perfect cross, and near 50/50 side weight-- and yes, that was with me in the car. Suspension adjustments made without the driver in the seat are wasted time.

Just go with an Odyssey 680, mount it in the extreme right rear corner. From the Alt back, you'll want at least 2ga.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.