Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am driving along one of my roads and I happen to have the music off...then I hit a small bump in the road no big deal and all of a sudden I hear a noise coming from my trunk...it sounds like it would be the emergency jack, tire, etc...but I am not sure. Any input on what it might be? I haven't gone back there to look yet but I probably should.

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
It greatly depends on what you've got back there. It could be the emergency jack, or spare, or anything else that's in the trunk area.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah I checked around a couple hours ago and I found that it was my jack rubbing against the holder in the back...I put a rag around it and now it makes no noise at all. Problem solved.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK NEVERMIND!!! It is still not fixed. Apparently it was not the jack at all. I have checked everything in the trunk that could possible be making the rattling noise and I can't seem to find anything. I know it is coming from the interior of the car, but I can't seem to find where. Is anyone else having this noise or issue?

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Ok... One possible option: Open your trunk, run your hand against the plastic guard on the bottom edge of the trunk opening. When this grey plastic guard ends on the passenger side, tap the furry body panel - it's going to make noise, because it's plastic backing does not touch the metal of the body when not disturbed, and makes this tapping noise when you are moving, or when tapping it with your hand.

It is the cause for trunk rattle on some cars, but for others it can be different. Hope that's your problem.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
My trunk rattle was caused by the shims (not sure that's the correct word, but that's what the techs at the dealership called them) on the hatch. Those are the things that hold the hatch up after you open it. The techs basically put felt around the shims and I haven't noticed a rattle since.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by basilisk4@Nov 9 2004, 06:30 AM
My trunk rattle was caused by the shims (not sure that's the correct word, but that's what the techs at the dealership called them) on the hatch. Those are the things that hold the hatch up after you open it. The techs basically put felt around the shims and I haven't noticed a rattle since.
Felt...what exactly is that? I have a general idea but I am not quite sure...I am going to go feel for it and see what I come up with.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Felt is just a thin, fuzzy kind of cloth.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I started to notice the same rattle about three weeks ago and its driving me nuts. I took my car in for its first free service (i.e., oil change) on Saturday and they said they didn't have time to check out the rattle right then. I have visitors in town this week, so hoping the back passenger can locate where the rattle is coming from. Some ppl have mentioned the moonroof creaking, but this rattle is definitely in the trunk area. Will probably have to take the car in to have it checked out....its only getting worse.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK People this is the reason my trunk was rattling....I took it in and let them have it for a couple house. Apparently Scion TCs have a problem with their hatch struts. Scion has made a new part that is different from the old part and they have designed stronger struts for their replacements. The dealership ordered some for me and they will be in in a couple days. I would definitely have them checked out as to this could be the reason.

I talked to the service rep. and he said that alot of Scions are having to have this done because of trunk rattling. Just a little FYI

·
Registered
10 Posts
Good call on the hatch struts because I'm almost positive that I don't have the rattling moonroof issue... I've definitely heard some sounds from back there...it's not too loud but noticeable when I go over some bumps. Since I'm the only one in there most of the time I've had some trouble isolating it.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
What are hatch struts?

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Ok, so it's what I said before. The dealer told me they might come out with new ones, so it's good to know that they did.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had mine for about 4 weeks and it is also rattling. I am taking it in for radio problems next week and I will have them check it out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'll go ahead and add my tC to the list of "i have a hatch area rattle". To note, there are no other squeeks or rattles in the car other than the hatch area. This weekend I'm going to get in the trunk area while someone else drives the car and see if I can pinpoint the source.

Is there a TSB out for the hatch struts?

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I didn't have a hatch rattle.
I only had a Blazer rattle.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts