Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran out of gas las night, but i had the forthought to hit the trip when the light turned on. I got 37.5 miles befor it started chuging....

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Thanks for the useful information...but be careful about that. My understanding is that it's really bad for an engine to drive it all the way until it runs out of gas.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by basilisk4@Sep 3 2004, 07:29 AM
Thanks for the useful information...but be careful about that.  My understanding is that it's really bad for an engine to drive it all the way until it runs out of gas.
Ya, I heard the same thing. Believe me I don't plane on making it a regular thing.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Yeah, I've never had a car with a fuel warning light, so everytime my light has come on I've been really paranoid and more or less pulled into the next available (and safe-looking) station.

Hehe..thanks for the info!!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nobody should make a habit of this as it will end up costing you dollars! When running on "E" you are forcing the car to run on all the dirty sediment that settles at the bottom of the tank. Then the dirt might get in your fuel line and engine. You might have to flush entire fuel system if it clogs up $200-$300, or maybe replace the fuel filter $100, shizzle maybe even the fuel injectors if it's bad. So beware... you can always do the "Wild on E" but not "Drive on E".

·
Registered
335 Posts
I've only seen the gas light once in any of the cars I have ever driven. When I had the focus it had a fuel pump problem and if I let it get below half a tank the car wouldn't start so I go in the habit of always getting gas when it gets to around 1/2 tank.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Originally posted by basilisk4@Sep 3 2004, 07:29 AM
Thanks for the useful information...but be careful about that. My understanding is that it's really bad for an engine to drive it all the way until it runs out of gas.
While this is true... you really don't have to worry about it as much on a brand new car. There isn't very much build up in the gas tank yet. But you're right... not a good habit.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Fuel light came on last night. The fuel needle wasn't reading empty, so I thought I still had enough to go on. Hey, it's been a rough week and I kept putting off getting gas, I usually don't let it get so low. Anyway, I drove a few miles to the nearest safe station and filled it up with 12.274 gallons. The manual says, the tank holds 14.5 gallons. So, I was pretty close to empty. At least, now, I know not to let the needle get that low again.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I managed to fit 13.7 in the tank without actually topping off - just till the first pump click-off. The car would feel funny on acceleration with the tank close to empty.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
lol... useful information indeed.... especially when your low on the dough

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Talkin out of turn, that's a paddlin. Lookin out the window, that's a paddlin. Runnin out of gas in your tC, ooohhhh you better beleive that's a paddlin.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Heh, LOVE Jasper.

I don't ever let my car get below a quarter tank, but I've heard that it's not too horrible if the car runs out of gas and dies. The problem, I hear, is if you keep trying to start it and run it after that. But then, I'm an idiot, so ignore me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
On some cars the fuel pump is located in the gas tank and the contact with the fuel keeps the pump cooled. I don't know about the tC since I am waiting for mine. My Nissan says clearly in the manual "do not run the car at a low fuel level." I have read the same thing on other forums.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts