Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just thinking about somehow installing a radar detector in my scion. Im not talking about sticking it up on the dash board either. I was thinking about dissasembling it and getting it tucked away inside the dash board so no one knows that you have it installed. Just have it so that the lights blink inside the setback where the Fuel gague is.
does anyone know about radar detectors? Like which pieces need to be up high to better detect the radar/laser and which parts can stay concieled. Any help would be appreciated.
thanks

·
Registered
675 Posts
well if you don't want to buy a remote unit (which they do sell).. the radar horn (big metal looking horn part) should up up high to detect radar at a distance.. laser about the same..

the electronics inside might not be able to deal with the increased resistance of you extending these components to further locations.. but hey if you have the time

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea I had a feeling they would be integrated into the circuit board, but I hadnt taken one apart yet to find out.

sciontc_mich, you said that they sell remote units, what do you mean by remote? separate horn from detector body or what?

·
Registered
252 Posts
K 40 makes a very nice remote detector for the serious driving enthusiast. The Valentine 1 is pretty easy to take apart and it does have the optional remote display. The design has not changed over the years so I am not sure how good the detector is anymore.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Originally posted by adambeazley@Nov 8 2005, 04:36 PM
yea I had a feeling they would be integrated into the circuit board, but I hadnt taken one apart yet to find out.

sciontc_mich, you said that they sell remote units, what do you mean by remote? separate horn from detector body or what?
yes exactly what kltd said.. they do sell a remote radar horn unit.. let me see if i can find a link for you..

http://www.beltronics.com/vectorlrremote.html

not cheap, but it's remote like you wanted.. stealthy.. and yeah please don't have circuit city install this (the $1000 pro remote said "have circuit city install it" on that webpage.. I almost laughed my dinner up!).. it shouldn't be too hard to install this yourself..

edit: reading their webpage they consider circuit city to be "professional installation".. now that's funny.. either way there's the remote unit..

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I might get the V1 remote display if I come up with a decent location for it, but taking apart the detector does not seem like a very smart idea. Sometimes you need to take it out - either a rental, or when you are driving with somebody and want to do them a favor. Plus detectors are most useful when you are in the unfamiliar area - so if you fly somewhere it's a good thing to have it with you.

I keep the V1 on my visor in the tC - it's not that noticable from the back or the sides and there is always a remote display option if you are that concerned.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Originally posted by adambeazley@Nov 8 2005, 04:36 PM

so what did you decide to do??

·
Registered
427 Posts
The beauty of the dashboard on our tC's is that it is high enough that you can use velcro to directly attach the detector to the top of the dash and it gets over the hood and wipers.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yea I hear you man, but I like the idea of having it totally conceiled even to other passengers (wives, etc...)
Thats why I was thinking about mounting the LED's inside the RPM window and have the detector mounted remotely up in the ceiling in front to the sun roof behind the ceiling panel. Ive already run some wires up there for a microphone so I could see a space for the detector there.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Mine's "semi-hardwired". I added a 12V outlet under the dash with a splitter. Powers my PDA GPS and V1. Both can be taken out and put into a rental within 2 minutes.

My V1's "phone cord" runs from that outlet to the rearview mirror. And the 12V power adapter can be taken out without pulling that cord, so I just take the adapter and the coil cord and V1 is usable in any other car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by phungy+Feb 12 2006, 12:28 PM-->QUOTE (phungy @ Feb 12 2006, 12:28 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-XLR8TOR
@Feb 12 2006, 03:11 PM
Anybody hardwired a Valentine 1?
Not that I know of in the tC but my friend has in his 325i. He's always busy playing CS to help me but I heard its fairly simple cause V1 comes with a hardwiring kit. [/b]
Yeah I've done it in all my vehicles, but I was able to find out online which wires to tap into, etc... The V1 hardwire kit is super easy to use.... once you know where you want to put it, and which wires to use.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.