Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aight So im gonna be lookin into buyin a radar detector... I did alittle bit of researchin and i found this Vector 995 from Beltronics. It looks pretty good but i don't know anythin really about radar detectors so i don't know if there are any others that are better or that are cheaper and can give me the same results. And If somebod has this, if they can tell me if it works pretty decent.
Thanks a bunch

Carlos

this is the address for the company if any bod wants to know

www.beltronics.com

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
There are a couple of threads on this already, so you should try a search. The Bel 995 is a nice device, but probably isn't any better than the $60 used Bel 880 I just bought on eBay...

·
Registered
211 Posts
That is the one I have....the 995. Works well and has a filter for false signals...it will alert you then if it decides it is a bogus signal it drops that signal. It will also tell you what signal is detected...my friends sometimes walk around saying " K-band " in the voice that it uses. Whacky.

It is upgradable in the future....it has front and rear protection. You would be suprised how many cops track you from behind and then run up on you ....all you can see is headlights but then they finally pass and it is a cop that is trying to get their next catch.

I would say it is #2 to the Valentine...but that just tells you which way the signal came from so forget the extra $200.

Buy it and save yourself from a $300 ticket.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Most higher priced radar detectors just add warnings for things like fire trucks and ambulances and such, nothing useful if you catch my drift

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
the valentine one is the best portable detector on the market.

three words : multiple bogey warning.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
^^^ Yeah, with the V1, you know how many grocery stores there are around you, rather than just knowing that there is at least one nearby.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I have V1. Use it on my frequent trips to TN. Got it about a month ago - looked like they cost more on eBay than from V1 website, btw, so they don't depreciate much.

Couple of examples from the month I had it:

Rural route somewhere near the GA/TN border, little towns put 40mph speed limits to milk travelers, late night. I'm going about 60 uphill. V1 starts beeping K-band ahead, gradually showing increasing strength of the signal. I slow down as I approach the top of the hill. See a squad car about 1/4 mile ahead parked on the side of the road, lights turned off.

Same road, about 30 miles further, little town, V1 beeps 2 X-band signals, then adds 3rd on K-band. Cop at a gas station 1/2 mile ahead.

Maryville, TN, 35mph road, going about 50-55, V1 starts beeping Ka-band from behind, look in the rear view mirror and see a local cop pulling out from a side road, and going in my direction. He was so far that if I did not see the signal, I would have never guessed he was there.

$400? Yes, but I can put it on eBay now and get all of it back. But I'd rather keep it and know what's going on AROUND me.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Originally posted by inevitablegod@Dec 6 2005, 06:27 PM
the valentine one is the best portable detector on the market.

three words : multiple bogey warning.
Best investment/mod I've made so far.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts