Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right about now I am wishing I got the 5 speed! It seems like with automatic I can hit the gas and go I know normally it shifts at about 3,000RPMS if I slam the gas it will shift at 5,000 rpms, somebody told me to left off the gas just before it shifts and then hit the gas again and it will shift smoother and faster any truth to this? I mean I am having civics keep up with me for a little bit, once the car gets into 3rd gear it pretty much takes off.

Once the supercharger comes out I am getting that, plus some other engine mods. Everybody keeps telling me for simple street drag and auto can be better at times. I definatly get off the line quicker. I smoked a guy in a civic the other day but the cop was even faster :'( I had to make myself throw up to get out of the ticket which SUCKED!

· Registered
176 Posts
Well, auto is better in drag only if you are making serious power and are probably deep in the 10's and faster in the 1/4 mile. Otherwise, I think manual would suffice. I don't know about the thing you said..I always thought it's just fastest to keep flooring it the whole time.

· Registered
1,860 Posts
I have raced a couple of other manuals and autos and spanked them, I think over time my drive by wire has gotten a little more responsive. I think that you just have to time in correctly and step on it a second before it turns green. Otherwise I think my auto is getting faster all the time, not sure how that could be but its getting more responsive. I can beat most civics and accords that I meet here in town.

Most people in town are more looks than go, see I like a little bit of both which could be my money problem, but I am definitely getting a turbo this summer cause its better with an auto anyway, and it will make more horsies that the super from what I understand.

· Registered
418 Posts
Well true to a point where u can let off the gas and jump back on it to get a smoother shift..i noticed it with some automatic cars, but the best way to get a good run is to control the throttle at the rpm where it generates most torque and power..thats the reason manuals sometimes have the advantage over automatic cars because it allows the driver to more effectively control the engine and at what RPM the engine shifts gears..hope this answers some of ur questions..but everybody knows lo bux has a lot more knowledge then i do

· Registered
1,860 Posts
Originally posted by phungy@May 13 2005, 10:02 PM
I know a kid who had a turbo on a base RSX auto and his tranny started slipping only after a month.
How long did he wait before he began punching it? What PSI was he running at? I do realize however that forced induction is and can be hard on cars without knowledgable people driving them. By no means am I bashing on your friend just curious thats all.

Secondly, our trannies are designed slightly different than that of the RSX they are designed to handle forced induction of the turbo or super kind.

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
I wouldn't count on that. OEM autos are notorious for developing problems (with the exception of some of the GM slushboxes) when power goes up. It is easy to get 500 hp out of a Supra with just a few basic mods for less than $2k, but if you got the auto, don't expect it to last very long even at this basic power level (for a Supra). I seriously doubt the gearbox in the tC is built to handle 300+ hp, and I'd bet it's near its reasonable limit at 220 hp.

Budget for transmission work, it is very likely you'll be in the market for it shortly after your turbo install.

· Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
See I tried that just floor it one time, that was enough. The engine was screaming at me, and it didn't shift until about 5500 RPMs I don't want to burn the tranny and I could defintly smell something bad after that. I had to slam the gas to get out of the way of a semi before he ran into me.

Last night a civic pulled up to me and we were both in 2nd gear probably and he tapped his gas and I tapped mine except I left him. Like I said once I am out of 2nd I am golden it's just those first two gears they can keep up with me.

· Registered
1,860 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@May 14 2005, 11:48 AM
I wouldn't count on that. OEM autos are notorious for developing problems (with the exception of some of the GM slushboxes) when power goes up. It is easy to get 500 hp out of a Supra with just a few basic mods for less than $2k, but if you got the auto, don't expect it to last very long even at this basic power level (for a Supra). I seriously doubt the gearbox in the tC is built to handle 300+ hp, and I'd bet it's near its reasonable limit at 220 hp.

Budget for transmission work, it is very likely you'll be in the market for it shortly after your turbo install.
Well I will really be able to tell depending on how much the supercharger is going to be putting out for our cars. That will tell me how much boost I can run.

· Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I learned the shiftpoints really quick and can make it shift smoother. Here lately car feels slugish. I think thats just me finally getting used to the car. I went from a 92 Accord with 190,000 miles on it to a 05 tC with 1 mile on it. (HUGE difference int he acceleration). As long as I look good and sound good I am happy
I enjoy sound more than anything.

· Registered
567 Posts
I wonder what driving an auto tc feels like. I'm so used to the manaul..

I'd take heed to lobux's comments about the oem tranny not being able to take the kind of power your talking about. I had a 95 Z28 camaro that was running 400hp to the wheels, and it was an auto, I fried that tranny so many times... Poor guy I took it to the first time waranteed it for a year, I must have had him rebuild it 6 or 7 times.

· Registered
12 Posts
sorry for the late reply but as anybody ever heard of the TH400 Transmission? old GM tranny used in everything. an Ad on TV showed a 1969 Bonneville the tires would light up, then stop for a second, then light up, then stopfor a second.... and it did this thru the entire 30 second commercial. the guy had one foot on the break and one on the gas and was shifting between drive and reverse. in 1969 the pontiac 400 was rated at 370 HP while the ram air 3 was 390 hp and the ram air 4 was 420 hp but then its torque which gets a car moving, not hp

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Rated at 370 hp with no accessories being driven and at the crank. Not very realistic compared to current measuring methods.

What did a fast car run in those days? 14's? Maybe you don't remember how easy it was to light up a Polyglas GT, but I do. A lot has changed.

A '69 vintage TH400 wouldn't be much of a match for anything modern, but a built TH400 is pretty damn stout. I believe I mentioned that at the beginning of this discussion. Toyota autos are not known for their strength, and even their manuals are not especially stout. The W58 used in Supras and the IS300 is known for not being all that reliable after a few decent mods.

Last but not least, torque at the wheel is what gets the car moving. Torque at the crank isn't nearly as important as torque at the wheel. If you care to argue about it, we've beaten this to death in another thread called "Got torque? Who cares?", but for a real life demonstration, just try starting a race in top gear. You'll get the picture really quickly.

· Registered
13 Posts
I have raced my buddies 96 mustang it has the 4.6 v8 i left him off the line but about trough 2nd gear he was at my door. We raced at the drag in East Ridge TN. I only beat him once and the rest he did great. The trick is to double pump the gas for the automatic's. If you don't you will have a few cars stay with you but the computer in the car will kick in to help you out it's a great motor and it's stout.

· Premium Member
16,847 Posts
Originally posted by 0584TCMan@Jun 21 2005, 05:45 PM
We raced at the drag in East Ridge TN...
A new neighbor!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.