Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, im brand new, been looking around here a bit. I plan on gettnig a tC this fall, around sept/oct time. Ive been searching this and another scion forum, and really couldnt get all the answers I was looking for...its more for clarification.

First, im a current Sirius user. I love it, and what ever car I get next, will have it in it. I was happy to see that scion offers it now, but dont like the price. Im not paying the $400 for it. I would be willing to spend some money, and do the instal myself, but not at that price. I saw the McGeorge parts site, and thats a little bit better, but not when I still have all the equipment myself already.

I then thought of just putting in my current '02 Kenwood deck, and keep my sirius that way (actually i was going to get a newer deck, use the sirius tuner, but pick up the new kenwoods that take ipods). But the new tC's have the steering wheel controls. I would love to have them work, but wouldnt know if they could be changed to work with an aftermarket deck. I would rather take that wheel off, and have no controls, than to have the contorls there that dont work.

Then its back to the stock deck. If I were to keep the stock one, and then either pick up the portable external sirius player, or just spend the money and get the Scion one, can the stock decks be upgraded at all? Do they sound good stock? Reason is, I was planning on getting some type of amp/sub setup eventually. Also, are the current speaker setups any good?

I really like the stock deck with all the features, it looks perfect other than price (and possible lack of being expanded).

Also, I read about this pure price thing...and I understand about the car, but are the accesories the same? Are they trying to say that you cant haggle the dealers? I was planning on seeing what kind of deal they would make on that sirius deck for me.

All in all, here are some cliffs notes, sorry for the long post...
1) Expensive sirius connector - is it worth it, or other ways of getting it?
2) 06's have steering wheel controls....im sure only work with stock deck, anyone have them working with aftermarket? Way to not get them if I go aftermarket?
3) Is the stock deck expandable at all (RCA outs or anything)? worth it to just go with an external sirius player? Current setup really good? Better than other stock setups?
4) no haggle price...is that really true?

Thanks in advance for yalls help. I have been shopping around, and i think im landing with scion since its the best deal for the money, and so darn cool. Yall have some VERY nice rides, and look forward to joining yall soon!

Jon

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Okay, well i hope i get all your questions here...
I don't know about anything about the sirius connector, but most of the parts are a little more expensive than they should be, but they can get it since you can roll it into the loan.
There is a SWIX controller that you can use to get the steering wheel controls to work with your aftermarket deck. The one catch is that the deck you use must have a remote.
The stock deck sucks, don't worry about expanding it. If you really want it you can get an plug adapter for the stock deck that will provide you with RCAs and remote turn on. Talk to Alpman, i think he is developing something.
The no haggle price is real, so don't even try (although i did, it didn't work though)

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
1 .You can get a Sirius kit for around $250 and intstall it yourself.
2. If you make the steering wheel controls work with aftermarket deck - you'll be the first one.
3. There are cheap kits to get RCA outs for the stock deck to hook up a sub/amp.
4. No haggle is true. But most dealers are trying to screw you on the trade - compensating the relatively low profit margin I guess. But you can still get a good deal - just be firm and don't take any BS. My advice would be to get a tC bone stock and buy all the accessories you might want online and install them yourself.

Keep asking questions - some of us have the tC for a year and have some cool experience dealing with pesky salespeople

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Originally posted by EddieMoney@Jul 24 2005, 12:39 PM
Not true about teh SWIX, i have read about several people getting it to work.
He still will be the first person to do it to a tC and live to tell about it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
haha,

so whats so "bad" about this stock stereo. Is it crappy, or the usual stock deck style? Most decks I have heard recently stock are still pretty darn cool.

As far as sirius, i think im going to get the starmate instead. Looks like it woudl fit with the interior well, and I can move it around. Also, when I would upgrade, and get like a new deck, I could take it with me then too.

Thanks for yalls help!
jon

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
also, even though this isnt really AV related, is it a general good idea to get all these parts after purchase? I was looking around today, and really getting interested in stuff...my previous cars had NO aftermarket.

I was hoping of course for the SC to be out this fall (i willl be getting my tC then). I also was looking at the TRD springs and struts, as well as the lip spoiler when I bought one.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
godofthunder347 Posted on Jul 24 2005, 07:43 PM
  haha,

so whats so "bad" about this stock stereo. Is it crappy, or the usual stock deck style? Most decks I have heard recently stock are still pretty darn cool.

As far as sirius, i think im going to get the starmate instead. Looks like it woudl fit with the interior well, and I can move it around. Also, when I would upgrade, and get like a new deck, I could take it with me then too.

Thanks for yalls help!
jon [/b]
The good about the stock stereo
Convenient, flows with interior, steering wheels controls work from factory, decent sound for stock stereo
The bad
Once you get past a certain level of volume the speakers suck it up, no preouts for adding onto the system, and I hate line out converters

As far as the rest of your parts there are lots of discussions on all of those, do a search and you can find a lot out about them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.