Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi peoples this is my first post and i have had my tC for about 2 months now.
its black with just the standard options and no mods as of yet. i just want to ask a question about lowering. if i put the trd springs on, do i need to install a camber kit? if not, is there a chance of inner tire wear? if anyone reading this has the trd springs on thier car, how is the ride and is there any problems? i just want to be sure about it before i go spend my money. thanks guys.

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
I can just about guarantee that everyone here that does have the TRD springs would tell you to do it, and do it yesterday. As a driver who likes to feel the road, the springs are a must-have. The suspension is tighter, turning is more responsive, and the car simply looks better with them installed. I haven't heard of anyone needing to install a camber kit, and the likelihood of excessive inner tire wear is pretty slim.

Feel confident in getting the springs. They are the best mod I've made to the car.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys i am new to all this modification of cars so im gonna need a lot of help about doing it. im gonna make sure i order those springs and possibly the shocks and sway bar. thanks again!

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Originally posted by Labfish@Nov 27 2004, 07:29 PM
The sway bar is also a good choice for da money. I'll let you know about the springs...whenever ups decides to find my house.
Same here man and since we both live in Kansas like I see in your picture out cars will become somewhat pf a snomobile....

What part of Kansas are you in?

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Anyone selling a camber kit is ripping you off. Camber is adjustable from the factory by replacing a single bolt. They knew people were going to slam the cars, so they made the suspension adjustable.

Another thing about alignment. Camber less than -2.5 degrees does not cause inner edge wear, improper toe does. Excessive toe in or toe out will eat the inside (or outside) edges of your tires in a few thousand miles. If your camber is in excess of 2.5 degrees, you need to get it back into the realm of streetable (~-1.5) before doing anything else with alignment.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Originally posted by goldenchild@Dec 19 2004, 08:44 PM
Same here man and since we both live in Kansas like I see in your picture out cars will become somewhat pf a snomobile....

What part of Kansas are you in?
Pics will be up shortly in the member section...sorry for the delay but it's been busy.
Goldenchild - I'm in Olathe. Flippy is in Pittsburg. Good to see someone else somewhat close by.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Dec 19 2004, 09:14 PM
Anyone selling a camber kit is ripping you off. Camber is adjustable from the factory by replacing a single bolt. They knew people were going to slam the cars, so they made the suspension adjustable.

Another thing about alignment. Camber less than -2.5 degrees does not cause inner edge wear, improper toe does. Excessive toe in or toe out will eat the inside (or outside) edges of your tires in a few thousand miles. If your camber is in excess of 2.5 degrees, you need to get it back into the realm of streetable (~-1.5) before doing anything else with alignment.
yeah, what he said.

and i should know. cause my yoko's are feathering since i neglected to have the toe adjusted after i dropped it. started noticing that tell-tale sound about 4000 miles after the drop. by then, it was too late. new tires for me in the summer.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by tcChris@Jan 13 2005, 04:57 PM
what is the factory camber setting on the tC?
According to the FSM it is 0 degrees 31 minutes +/- 45 minutes, caster is 3 degrees 2 minutes with the same tolerance, steering axis inclination (SAI) is 12 degrees 31 minutes, same tolerance.

Toe is most important, and it is 0 degrees +/- 12 minutes, or for us old school types, 0mm +/- 2mm. Toe in tends to cause inner edge wear, toe out tends to cause outer edge wear. There is a huge difference in wear between 2mm toe out and 2mm toe in.

Toe is ALWAYS adjusted last because camber and caster changes can affect toe.

There's a lot more to alignment, but this covers the raw fundamental numbers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.