Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you turn on your tC, is it really loud at first, but then it subsides like in a few minutes or so? And, how long should you warm up your car for?

(BTW - Neighbors are yelling at each other and it sounds like they're growling!)

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
There is no need for you to warm up the car. It states so in the manual.

·
Registered
614 Posts
i think it sounds a bit louder when it is cold outside and the engine is cold, but i must say that it warms up much faster than any other car i have seen.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Way back in the 80's when EFI was still slowly displacing carburetors, the engineers decided engines should idle at 2000 rpm when cold. My '88 GTS Corolla did this. So did every MR2 I ever worked on, and there were a few. Celicas did this as well, and I read they actually intended for this to happen.

Then I got my '94 Supra. It didn't do this ever. The wife's '97 Camry doesn't do this. So I thought the sliderule boys gave up on the 2000 rpm idle for emissions or something.

Lo and behold, I get in the tC, and high cold cycle idle is back with a vengeance. More than 2000 rpm on cold start. Why? I wish I knew, but I bet it has something to do with heating up the cat quickly to get the ULEV rating.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.