Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I know I have asked my questions like this, but none the less, I have been using a speedo calculator to tell me the speedo difference if I put a different size wheel and tire package on my tC. Anyways, I found that if I put 245/35 18s on it, if I was doing 65 according to my speedo, I would actually be doing 65.35343 MPH, which is not a big deal. Now my question is this, I have been told that if I went to 18s or 19s, it would make my accelleration slower, and I know that there would be a weight difference, but not that big of a difference, and no more weight than I could lose off of my body. So will it still effect my accelleration and make it slower? Or, I found the same type of difference (not much at all) with 235/45 17s or 235/40 17s... Now there would be no bad effect because they are both 17s, right? Just checking, thanks guys in advance (and girls)

·
Registered
413 Posts
1lb of weight added to tires (unsprung) = 8lbs in the car (sprung)
1lb of weight added to wheels (unsprung) = 6lbs in the car (sprung)

Stock tire (215/45R17) height = ~24.62 inches

235/45R17 = ~25.33 inches
235/40R17 = ~24.40 inches

Generally you want to keep the height as close to stock as possible so you affect your speedo (and chances of rubbing) the least amount so the 235/40R17 would be the better choice between the two. As far as the weight goes, increasing or decreasing it is going to affect accelleration, braking, gas mileage, and handling. If you increase it you're going to lose accelleration, increase braking distances, decrease gas mileage, and decrease handling (at least in general average terms). The opposite would be true for decreasing weight. That's the reason you've seen a lot of talk about lightweight 17x8 or 17x8.5 wheels and 245 tires lately. Of course, if your only concern is appearance (and it doesn't seem to be since you're asking this question), get whatever makes you feel all warm inside.

This may not be 100% but it should be pretty close and I expect Lance and/or Ed will offer more on it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
alright, well here is what is important to me... I want to have wider tires, like 245's or wider, although I know this may not work but I think it will because other people have them. Anyways, I want to improve the grip which I believe the wider tires will do (right?) and I just love the way wide tires look. Right now I have the TRD lowering springs on my car, and I don't know if that is going to effect how big of wheels and all that I can get. I have been looking at the General Exclaim UHP's because they are a good price, and they can fit a 7-9 inch wheel, which I believe would be easy to find. Anyways, if u want to find me a wheel and tire package with 235s or 245s on it, that would be great, but I don't necessarily understand everything about it. I do care about performance though, and I do like the appearance of the bigger wheels, but I love the wide tires. Anyways, thanks for getting back so quickly, and if u could find me a good match (I like 5 and 7 spoke wheels, actually I love the wheels Scion offers, the Super 18s or whatever, but they are not wide enough for 245s (I don't think, correct me if I am wrong)). Anyways, I am rambling, thanks though

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.