Scion tC Forums banner

Question About Buying a tC.

4K views 38 replies 15 participants last post by  tCfiend 
#1 ·
Well I was going to have my mom take out a loan for me and I pay her so that she can pay Toyota since I'm under 18 but now my parents don't want to do that because they don't want to be responsible for it if I quit my jobs.

Right now I have $3,000 saved up and I make $400 a month and I was wondering if there was anyway I can finance a tC without being 18 years old. And of course, I have no credit.

I'm hoping some of the dealers we have on here can answer my question.

My second idea of acquiring transportation is just to spend my $3,000 on a motorcycle but then I would have to wait till I'm 18 to get my M license anyways. My last resort is getting a used car for under $3,000. But I'd rather find out if there's anyway I can finance a tC right now. Thanks.

Discussion starter · #5 ·
Also forgot about insurance, since I was asking my mom to take out the loan I wanted the insurance to also be under her name. They're afraid I'll stop working because I decided to quit one of my jobs so I could bring my grades up. Now I'm only tutoring and making $400 a month instead of $600.

Edit: I live in Fremont (nice, quiet, safe, and boring city) and I didn't think driving a motorcycle would really be dangerous here, but then I'm moving to Southern California in ten months, and I've heard about the driving there so I might change my mind.

I used to drive a 91 Camry so I could get to work, I was hoping now that I have alot more money than $0 that I could get something nicer.

Discussion starter · #7 ·
I will always wear a helmet, plus I think think full riding gear looks cool. Like a Knight in shining armor haha.

I love how you guys respond in the forums so quickly. YSTC.com is the greatest.

If I do get a motorcycle... I hope I never get into an accident, I've heard so many stories from people trying to discourage me... which is why I would rather get a tC but it seems impossible even if I go back to making $600 a month.

Discussion starter · #16 ·
So.. to sum things all up... my goal is impossible without my parents, and motorcycles are cool.

Thanks everyone for your help, I'll try do what I can. Now I'm worried about trying to buy a tC even when I'm 18.

Discussion starter · #22 ·
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Jan 8 2006, 01:43 PM
I didn't own a car from September of 1980 until March of 1988. I had a 1980 Honda 750F, an '83 CB1100F, an '84 VF500F Interceptor (racebike), and an '84 Yamaha FJ1100. They were my sole means of transportation. I would not recommend this approach to someone without extensive experience in traffic. I road raced bicycles for 4 years before I ever rode a street motorcycle, so I had a pretty clear understanding of how traffic sees two-wheel vehicles and their riders. Motorcycles are quick, fast, and unforgiving. As others have said, there are no fenderbenders on a motorcycle. If you get in an accident, you will get hurt, no matter what. It won't matter whose fault it is, you will be suffering. Something to consider before deciding a bike is the way to go.

If you don't have extensive experience on two wheels, I would highly recommend going with any kind of car over riding the bike. Your odds of finishing high school and college without a debilitating injury are much higher in the car than on the bike. JMHO.
I'll admit I don't have a lot of experience with two wheels. The last time I was on a bike I drove on the sidewalk and was young enough not to get anyone mad. However, I'm trying to gain experience. I'm not going for a really fast one right off the start. I'm hoping to start with the 250cc Kawasaki 250R I've read alot about it and it sounds like the perfect starter bike. But then I get the feeling starting off with a slower motorcycle isn't going to reduce my chances of getting hurt anymore than starting off with a faster >500cc bike.

Discussion starter · #29 ·
Originally posted by neo-truth@Jan 18 2006, 12:12 AM
So yeah... be careful.. and carry lots of TP.
lol TP as in toliet paper? for the deer?

Speaking... of how anything can happen... did everyone hear about our governor Schwarzenegger?

If someone would hit him, imagine what they'd do to me?!? yikes..

Edit: The more embarassing.. article about him without his license

Discussion starter · #32 ·
Originally posted by x Dying For Your Love x@Jan 18 2006, 07:13 AM
I had no credit when i went and bought my tC. My dad helped co-sign for me but it took a lot of convincing to get him to do so. He thought i wouldn't be able to make the payments and all that other bs. But when i first bought the car i had 4.75% interest for 5 years which made my payment like 400 bucks a month bc i only put 1500 down at the dealer bc they offered like nothing for our trade in.

But then a month later we sold my dad's car and refinanced. I got a little bit higher interest rate of 6% but now my payments are only 250 a month, and i only work part time at a Hallmark store. lol
Those are low interest rates for someone who had no credit... my parents arn't convinced yet, but I'm convinced that I would save a lot money if I just wait till I'm 18 and get a motorcycle instead of a tC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.