Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Me personally I don't think so. I mean all it does is switch to night mode when it detects a certain level of light. Me if I get somebody behind me and there blinding me I can just flip the mirror myself and don't need a computer to do it for me.

So really it's all up to you and what you prefer. Like me I can't live without power windows while others don't mind just rolling the windows down themselves.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Nobody *needs* it, and I actually don't care much about the dimming part - that's why I got a compass/dimming mirror off ebay. Compass was more important for me. But just like power windows - it's something you get used to over time and can't live without. I drove a car with crank windows and no power locks couple of days ago - it's a pain having to roll up windows and walk around the car to lock doors after people.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Flipping a standard mirror down is annoying for many reasons -- it changes the angle of your mirror when you put it back, it doesn't provide you with a view of anything but the other person's headlights, etc. Personally, I love my auto-dimming mirror and would get it again.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
If you plan to tint your windows, you'll never need it. I have 5% tint in my Supra, and I've never used the mirror dimmer. In fact, at 5%, it's hard to see behind you at night unless the thing you want to see is a light.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Apr 5 2005, 02:20 PM
If you plan to tint your windows, you'll never need it. I have 5% tint in my Supra, and I've never used the mirror dimmer. In fact, at 5%, it's hard to see behind you at night unless the thing you want to see is a light.
At 20%, I still need mine.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
You need my sunglasses. 4% light transmission.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
96% blocking? How does that hurt your eyes?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Tempature gauge is standard option on all Scion's its not in the mirror but on the dash where the clock is. Push a button and it shows the temp or the current time. allthough I found it to be off by a few degrees at times. But nobodys perfect not even the weather man. But it is pretty close for the most part.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Yep. Spelled V-U-A-R-N-E-T. With the PX5000 option.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
No but it does help prevent macular degeneration.

·
Registered
25 Posts
To get back on topic a little...I wanted it installed because I have had it before and was not available on my last car and missed it terribly. It is very nice not having to flip the mirror back and forth between modes when you are getting blinded. Kind of just like the auto on/off headlights, it's nice not having to mess with it (not that the tC has it, my truck does though, and my previous car did).

However, the Scion auto dim mirror has other features than just the mirror portion. It has homelink and an interior "fading in and out mood" light that illuminates the shifter area of the console. Homelink is programmable buttons that can operate your garage door opener or a home light with a special home link base.

I think the light is really nice, extra interior illumination without adding the footwell lights. The Homelink gets my garage door opener off of my visor and keeps my interior neet.

All the more reason to get the dimming mirror IMO.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Apr 5 2005, 08:24 PM
96% blocking?  How does that hurt your eyes?
The eye requires light to focus. Lack of light, therefore, hurts my eyes as they strain to focus. I only wear polarized sunglasses as a result.

Now, getting back on topic:

1. Homelink is nice. It can be used to control garage door openers, and in theory, anything else that uses an infrared remote. I currently use mine to open my garage door and the gate to my complex. However, I was unsuccessful at using it to turn on my x10 devices inside.

2. The mood lighting is a neat idea, but I don't really like the execution. Mainly, I don't like the fact that it stays on, apparently forever, when the car is off. There was something else I didn't like about the lighting feature -- something having to do with it not remembering the last thing I set it to -- but I don't use the lighting feature anymore for the first reason I mentioned, so I don't remember.

Overall, I really like the auto-dimming mirror in the tC. I wish it came with a compass, but I've gotten over that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.