Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well since Buffalo winters really suck, and because snow tires for a 17" rim are $153 a piece, i'm buying a hooptie for the winter and garaging the tC. I don't want to, and i know i'll miss her like crazy, but its the best for the car. With the snow, salt and just cold, winters here in buffalo are hell for not only the residents but our cars too. So I bought a 1991 GMC Sierra Pick up Truck with 4 brand new snow tires, brakes, windshield, gas tank, and a couple other things for $500. This truck shows its age on the outside but runs like a champ... so i'm pretty happy... but damn, its gunna be crappy driving an automatic truck for 5 or 6 months.
The things I do to keep my tC looking nice. I'll post pics of this silver monster when I pick it up! Anyone else putting their cars away for the winter??

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
nope, it just gets really nice here

·
Registered
255 Posts
No garaging it for me. I don't see why not we have a 3 car garage...but my moms fiance HAS to have his "area". My car will suffer the rain...but thats okay a look on the bright side...it'll just get washed alot i guess. Im sorry to hear that you had to buy a "hoopty" for winter. But you'll love getting back into your car once it starts warming up again. Lets just hope ur heater in the truck works as well as the tc.

·
Registered
282 Posts
we get some snow here in ohio, i would love to put my car away for the winter. Depends if my bf gets the 96 240sx rebuilt title on it soon, i might be able to put my car in the garage hopefully!! He said i could drive it when it snows, but my main problem is the 240sx is a rear wheel drive verus the tC being the front wheel drive. I am really bad at handling a rear wheel drive in the snow and rain. But for the safety of my tC i better learn fast!

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I can't live in snow without 4x4. If I ever move up north, I'll buy an older CJ or TJ with no AC and a good working heater, plus most of them are 5-speed and last forever
Good old Jeep times... Mudding, 4-wheeling... miss it...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Colorado is wierd. It'll snow here often but it melts off the roads the next day... thank god for the sunshine. I did buy a car cover though because I don't have a garage and I won't be driving it as much this winter. The roads here don't get salted... they get gravel thrown on them, so I have to be extra carful with chips, I think I'm going to get some mud guards too.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Originally posted by zoltiz@Nov 5 2004, 08:52 AM
I can't live in snow without 4x4. If I ever move up north, I'll buy an older CJ or TJ with no AC and a good working heater, plus most of them are 5-speed and last forever
Hate to burst ya bubble dude, but i had a 91 YJ and everything broke on it eventualy over a 2 year period. you name it, it broke.... yes even the 5spd tranny...

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Originally posted by QuadinScionTC+Nov 5 2004, 06:19 PM-->QUOTE (QuadinScionTC @ Nov 5 2004, 06:19 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-zoltiz
@Nov 5 2004, 08:52 AM
Hate to burst ya bubble dude, but i had a 91 YJ and everything broke on it eventualy over a 2 year period. you name it, it broke.... yes even the 5spd tranny... [/b]
I had a '95 ZJ V8 5.2L/4x4. Sold it at 125K and it was still running good. Kinda.

People with '96+ YJ I-6, especially 5-speed, had way less problems than I did, so compared to other Jeeps I-6 4.0L with 5 speed is a way more reliable platform. But no, Jeep will never be my primary vehicle.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
^^^^ yea the newer ones they build better now, but the early 90's I-4s were crappy trannys.

·
Registered
614 Posts
just lots of rain is what i face. its usually not too bad but last winter i had some scary experiences with my corolla driving on the highways and stuff in the hard, hard rain. the worst experience was when the car in front of me hit an unpaved portion of the lane i was in and the water splashed up like a wall and crashed down on my car. together with the hard rain i was blinded by all the water for a few sec. very scary going like 60mph or so with very low visability to begin with.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wish I only had rain to deal with. but here we can get over two feet of "lake effect" snow just over night. Although the tC is heavy, I'm not sure that Z rated tires and FEET of snow would mix very well. And here, when it snows they salt the roads like crazy. And I don't care how much you wax your car, salt will eat right thru it. And with temps below zero not uncommon, i'd rather just take my car off the road. I'm not worried about this truck. The guy I'm buying it from is a really good freind of mine and it only has 61k miles on it. Auto tranny shifts perfectly, the only problem he ever had was a gas tank leak which he had fixed. Plus I work at a GMC dealership now, so if something does go wrong... I got techs that can have it fixed for free while I work. So its all good. I just can't picture myself driving a friggin pick up truck!

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
We get more ice storms than anything...so it could be interesting this winter without traction control.
I see some 2nd gear starts for me to deal with the torque our cars produce.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Damn that suck guys.... One more reason I love Florida:) although you guys will have better resale with less miles
oh well Rob I will be thinking of you as I am shifting my way through the brisk air of Florida winter:)

Have fun driving the tank!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I believe (and I might get corrected here) that it's just how the stock tires are named...they like to post the speed rating (Z) out there for the world to see. The "R" stands for radial tires. Your speed rating should be somewhere else on the sidewall. But the Potenza stock tires like you to know that they're Z's. Just a manufacturing naming decision.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Originally posted by zoltiz+Nov 5 2004, 05:23 PM-->QUOTE (zoltiz @ Nov 5 2004, 05:23 PM)
Originally posted by [email protected] 5 2004, 06:19 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-zoltiz
@Nov 5 2004, 08:52 AM

Hate to burst ya bubble dude, but i had a 91 YJ and everything broke on it eventualy over a 2 year period. you name it, it broke.... yes even the 5spd tranny...
I had a '95 ZJ V8 5.2L/4x4. Sold it at 125K and it was still running good. Kinda.

People with '96+ YJ I-6, especially 5-speed, had way less problems than I did, so compared to other Jeeps I-6 4.0L with 5 speed is a way more reliable platform. But no, Jeep will never be my primary vehicle. [/b]
Why would you want a Jeep to drive in the snow? Jeeps are horrible in the snow. Their wheelbase is way too short and they spin around really easy. A jeep is the last thing you want to get if you're driving in the snow.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.