Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a 2002 Eclipse GT, I purchased this car in 2004 for $14,500 and have loved it ever since, very reliable, and a good amount of torque. While at the local drag strip I was talking to the owner of a Scion Tc and he ageed to let go for a run in his TC. While the car is a bit slower through the traps than a 3G Eclipse GT, it was very impressive little car for the price. I will admit this off the bat, the TC has a beautiful interior. It is a stark contrast to the cheap black plastic that I find in my 3G, the power delivery and clutch engagement in the TC is superb. The TC will outhandle my car easily on a road course with some sacrifice in the smootness of my car's ride. A very good deal for around the $17,000 mark and I will recommend this car to my sister who is looking for a nice little coupe.

What I like about the TC
Handling (very nice)
Acceleration (very respectable considering equal competitors are more expensive)
Nice Interior (silver is a good scheme)
Nice leg room
Price
More aftermarket parts than you can shake a stick at (us 3G fans seem to feel left out by the Aftermarket)

My complaints

Lanky shifter (nothing a nice short shifter can't fix, Eclipse is better in this department)
Blower should come standard
Needs LSD bad (but so does my car)
Wheel hop (same problem in the 3G, but I replaced my motor mounts to eliminate the problem)
Stiff Ride

Nice car overall, and thanks to the guy who let me try out his ride.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Thanks for the thoughtful (and favorable) review! It's nice to see some positive comments from a non-tC owner.

One question -- were you saying that the tC doesn't have variable valve timing? Because it does.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
It's a VVTI engine standard.

Thanks for the props.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well that shows how much I know, You really can't tell that it has it. hmmm. Its not as big differrence as when I drove the 1.8l Celica GTS. I did'nt get a chance to look at the engine compartment. But it felt kinda like the 2.4l that is in the RS and GS 3G eclipse, not too peaky and torquey. I recant and reedited my statement

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
2.4L 160 HP I-4 VVTI engine, 167 lb-ft torque. It's got decent power.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Originally posted by desertsoldier22@Jan 3 2006, 08:44 AM
Well that shows how much I know, You really can't tell that it has it. hmmm. Its not as big differrence as when I drove the 1.8l Celica GTS. I did'nt get a chance to look at the engine compartment. But it felt kinda like the 2.4l that is in the RS and GS 3G eclipse, not too peaky and torquey. I recant and reedited my statement
The celica uses VVTL-i, which kicks in at high RPM like VTEC. VVT-i is always working.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Whoops... yeah 163... i dunno where i was gettin 167 from... it's about that

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
thanks for posting, glad to have you check in and post such a nice review.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well if any of you guys need info on the 3g, visit our community at neweclipse.org.
We are finally getting some respect from the tuner world, thanks in part to the 4G.
Our cars use a 3.0l V-6 (6g72) 200hp 205 ft/lbs or 210hp V-6 with MVIM (variable induction) or a 2.4l I4 (4G64). Our 1/4 mile times are around 15 seconds w/5-speed and 16.0 w/Sportronic GT models. So we are faster but not too much faster. We get times consistent with a TC with a TRD blower. I personally would pick the Eclipse over a TC for the simple fact that I am a big guy (6'2") so I need leg room but to each his own. My personal opinion on the 4G mechanically the car is a vast improvement and good replacement for the 3000GT, it certainly weighs as much. In the looks department, I would probably get the GT SE with the Dealer Aero Kit and lowering springs, otherwise the car is Fugly. I will probably wait until the teething problems (aka recalls) are fixed. Eclipses tend to be better about 2 years into a new generation. They also have a potential Ralliart Edition in the works with the 4g63(EVO)motor and AWD. It should be about 30,000 dollars for the Ralliart.

Ralliart pics

·
Registered
202 Posts
Originally posted by desertsoldier22@Jan 3 2006, 02:10 PM
They also have a potential Ralliart Edition in the works with the 4g63(EVO)motor and AWD. It should be about 30,000 dollars for the Ralliart.
That car will never see the light of day. It was a concept pure and simple and MMC has NO intentions of building it as it would compete with a car they already have in production (the EVO). The Eclipse's target market has changed and will no longer be the turbo all wheel drive pocket-rocket of yester-year. Want boosted 4 wheel fun? Buy an EVO.

·
Registered
868 Posts
That's awesome someone let you test drive his tC. And you're right, I wish the SC came standard, but then it would cost just as much as every other car in its class

I've never been a huge fan of the eclipse. IMO, the new one with the big @ss end looks fugly. My favorite one was the 3000GT. I've had my doors blown in by one a couple times..

As for the stiff ride that you didn't like, I love it! I love feeling the road, and everything else you roll over. I can't stand squishy couch-type suspensions that GM makes.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I also like the Stiff suspension, i think it makes it feel sportier, and more aggressive. i like to feel the road under me. Since my Tc performance wise is stock, i'm wanting it to be even stiffer a ride. IMO it makes driving it more fun

Nice review nice to see some people noticing the TC outside of the TC community.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.