Scion tC Forums banner

PROPER Breaking In for the 06 tC

3K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  iGod 
#1 ·
hey guys! i just registered on the site, pretty excited and i just got my car 2 days ago. it's the 2006 tC in silver. okay well..

i was wondering what the breaking in thing is all about? i have heard that i should drive under 4000 rpm and for about 1500 miles until my car breaks in. Is that true? could you guys give me some advice about breaking in and what the purpose is?

also, when should i get my first oil change? i heard i should get it early? when is a good time? please let me know the best things to do to keep my car in a good condition

by the way, my car is automatic.

and yeah..if you have any links to any good "breaking in" information, link me please thanks!

#4 ·
Welcome... Try doing a search...

Anyway... Drive your car like you normally would.. just don't try to gun it unless absolutely necessary, and try not to brake to hard. Don't keep it at a constant speed for too long either.

First oil change = 5000 miles.

#6 ·
i dont understand about the constant speed idea. why not keep it at a constant speed?

#7 ·
Don't want to keep the engine at a constant RPM.. you want to vary it.

#10 ·
Originally posted by sciontC2006new@Nov 16 2005, 03:32 PM
hey guys! i just registered on the site, pretty excited and i just got my car 2 days ago. it's the 2006 tC in silver. okay well..

i was wondering what the breaking in thing is all about? i have heard that i should drive under 4000 rpm and for about 1500 miles until my car breaks in. Is that true? could you guys give me some advice about breaking in and what the purpose is?

also, when should i get my first oil change? i heard i should get it early? when is a good time? please let me know the best things to do to keep my car in a good condition

by the way, my car is automatic.

and yeah..if you have any links to any good "breaking in" information, link me please thanks!
the factory break in period is in your owners manual and it really doesn't require you to do much.

basically, drive how you drive, minus racing. red lining and don't use the cruise control.

you will be fine.

I got my first oil change at 1000 miles and at 5K ..... I just thought it was good policy.

welcome to the site.
don't let these "search, nazis" get you down. sometimes they forget what it was once like to be new.

read this
and this (thanks lance)
this post you might find useful.
additional information can also be found here.

#13 ·
yikes, i oinly have 2.7k miles on it and..yeah ive redline dit a couple of times, you think thats bad? I diddnt do it untill after abvout 1500 miles tho. hmm :\

#23 ·
Originally posted by kidazn719+Nov 17 2005, 06:16 PM-->QUOTE (kidazn719 @ Nov 17 2005, 06:16 PM)
Dear Oracle,
So if we extend the break in period to 2k miles would our cars last longer?

Thank you,
I am Confused[/b]
<!--QuoteBegin-oracle

doubtful.
most of the break-in is done before you car even gets to the dealership. so, you need not worry so much.

#26 ·
Originally posted by kidazn719@Nov 17 2005, 06:16 PM
Dear Oracle,
So if we extend the break in period to 2k miles would our cars last longer?

Thank you,
I am Confused
You didn't read Motoman's recommendations or mine. It will only make the engine run less efficiently for its entire life. Never flooring it means you will suffer carbon build up like nobody's business, and the engine will never run clean. JME & MHO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.