Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my attempt at what the OEM fog lights should have looked like...

What do you think?? I'll get some night pics soon.

BTW - I ordered the factory switch and used the factory wiring to wire them up. Pretty kewl that it's all prewired!!

·
Registered
339 Posts
aren't those the brake vents? aren't they needed to cool the brakes?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The "brake vents" are dummy vents. There is a solid plastic cap over the vents. They actually serve no purpose whatsoever. That is why I think the factory fogs should have been there instead of in the lower grill.

·
Registered
658 Posts
LOL Alp i just tried that this past weekend. I still have the fiber glass housing but the fog i've got are too big and heavy i don't want to drill the bumper and they won't stay in the housing since i did the housing on the pumper insteaded on the fog lights. I'll give it a try next weekend and if doesnt come out good i guess you are going to have to make another pair and sale it to me

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They are Blazer projector lights w/ 37.5W Phillips Halogen bulbs. Pretty bright at night. I have an extra complete set I'd be willing to part with cheap, along w/ the fabricated mounting brackets I built just for this application. I also have a second set of ABS knockouts I made for the trim bezel, but you'll have to finish the fiberglass portion. PM me if interested.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by ScionGTR@Jun 22 2005, 03:21 AM
LOL Alp i just tried that this past weekend. I still have the fiber glass housing but the fog i've got are too big and heavy i don't want to drill the bumper and they won't stay in the housing since i did the housing on the pumper insteaded on the fog lights. I'll give it a try next weekend and if doesnt come out good i guess you are going to have to make another pair and sale it to me
I could not use the brackets that came with the lights either. I actually fabricated some brackets to bolt the lights to the main bumper support, making them very solid. They do not bounce or flicker at all.

These lights came with a trim bezel that snaps onto the front of the projector. That trim bezel was used along with the ABS knockout replacement I made to give me the frame.

Grill cloth was stretched over it and superglued to give me the basic shape to work with. Polyester resin was applied to the grill cloth and a single layer of fiberglass mat w/ additional resin applied for strength. Once cured, the hole was cut for the projector lens to show thru using a Dremel tool. Now the entire bezel can securely snap directly onto the projector housing without any additional mounts to the vehicle just like the original bezel did.

Next was to sand the high spots down with 40 grit. A thin film of bondo was applied to fill the low spots and sanded smooth with 120 grit. Polyester primer was used to fill pinholes or sanding lines and then sanded with 220 grit. Following that was a coat of epoxy primer to give me a hard shell seal primarily to hide any bondo shrinkage that may occur as well as a surface ready for base/clear without the need for additional sanding. SSM base coat was applied and then two coats of clear. Snap em on after the paint cures (about 8-12 hours) and that's what you get.

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
Originally posted by Alpman+Jun 22 2005, 12:15 AM-->QUOTE (Alpman @ Jun 22 2005, 12:15 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Plissken
@Jun 21 2005, 09:19 PM
Greg, can I ship you my car and you just do your thing to it? Your fab skills are top notch and your imagination to boot!
Sure, if you spend the $2K to ship it to me, I'll install some fog lights for [email protected]! [/b]
Oh, I'd have you install lots of Alpine goodness in my car as well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Any chance you could come up with a price for the kit...I don't have the time, and if I did, I definately wouldn't have the skill!

P.S. Don't know if this is a stupid question...still pretty new here...

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by alntht@Jun 22 2005, 10:23 AM
Any chance you could come up with a price for the kit...I don't have the time, and if I did, I definately wouldn't have the skill!

P.S. Don't know if this is a stupid question...still pretty new here...
I don't exactly have the time either. This stuff is very time consuming and I do have a day job and a family. Sorry, the answer is no. I am more than willing to give some direction on how to do it yourself, but I just don't have the time to do it for you.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I don't exactly have the time either. This stuff is very time consuming and I do have a day job and a family. Sorry, the answer is no. I am more than willing to give some direction on how to do it yourself, but I just don't have the time to do it for you.[/b]
I can definately respect that. Do you know of a good onlin source for me to start with?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Originally posted by Alpman@Jun 22 2005, 02:47 AM
I could not use the brackets that came with the lights either. I actually fabricated some brackets to bolt the lights to the main bumper support, making them very solid. They do not bounce or flicker at all.

These lights came with a trim bezel that snaps onto the front of the projector. That trim bezel was used along with the ABS knockout replacement I made to give me the frame.

Grill cloth was stretched over it and superglued to give me the basic shape to work with. Polyester resin was applied to the grill cloth and a single layer of fiberglass mat w/ additional resin applied for strength. Once cured, the hole was cut for the projector lens to show thru using a Dremel tool. Now the entire bezel can securely snap directly onto the projector housing without any additional mounts to the vehicle just like the original bezel did.

Next was to sand the high spots down with 40 grit. A thin film of bondo was applied to fill the low spots and sanded smooth with 120 grit. Polyester primer was used to fill pinholes or sanding lines and then sanded with 220 grit. Following that was a coat of epoxy primer to give me a hard shell seal primarily to hide any bondo shrinkage that may occur as well as a surface ready for base/clear without the need for additional sanding. SSM base coat was applied and then two coats of clear. Snap em on after the paint cures (about 8-12 hours) and that's what you get.
you lost me at "That trim bezel was used along with the ABS knockout replacement I made to give me the frame. "

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The trim bezel came with the fog lights. They are just a round ring that snaps onto the projector housing that finishes the appearance of the housing. I made a template of the existing knockout and built a replacement using ABS plastic. I cut a hole in the replacement knockout I made to fit around the projector housing and snaped the rring onto the lights. I then wrapped grill cloth over the whole thing to give me the contoured shape I wanted. Once glassed, the entire piece becomes removable from the lens. I hope this better explains it. I will have to take more pics of the extra fogs and knockout to illustrate, but that won't happen til next week. I'm in SoCal for a family funeral until then, so please be patient w/ me. Thanx.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Thats pretty impressive. I've got the time and skill to work on stuff like that, but none of the tools =/ All ive ever done is on a friends motorcycle in his garage. Does the entire fiberglass painted portion snap in, and you mount the projector after its in? Or did you assemble the fiberglass part with the light beforehand. I mightve read it but probably misunderstood

·
Registered
49 Posts
Nice! Looks great. I did Sylvania Xenarc HID in my lower grill. You could probably get a higher wattage bulb in that housing if you wanted. Not sure if it would last as long or if it would cause melting. It looks like factory.

P.S. Sorry for your loss.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.