Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I thought I had a dud Kicker amp, so I went out and bought a brand new Pioneer amp and installed but that amp keeps cutting out too. I went to the shop and had everything rechecked and they said everything is fine except the amp. Now 1 dud amp i can believe but 2? I'm convinced the shop people there are just stupid. With both amps what was happening was it would be working and then it shuts off... the power light turns off... its not protect and its not overheating because it can happen right when I turn the stereo on. I have it grounded where the trunk anchor used to be near the tailight, is this a good enough ground and if not where is? Also, is there any way a faulty remote wire, or a bad sub could cause the power to stop running to the amp?

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Couple questions to try and pin point your problem...

1. What is the Ohm rating on your sub? (2,4,8)
2. Are you bridging your amp, or is it a Mono sub amp?

If your sub is two ohm and the amp is only 4 ohm stable bridged that would cause it to shut off.

Another thought could be the ground, maybe try a seatbelt bolt or something like that, i have always had good luck with those.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Originally posted by BLsurfer@Sep 1 2005, 09:27 AM
Hey guys, I thought I had a dud Kicker amp, so I went out and bought a brand new Pioneer amp and installed but that amp keeps cutting out too. I went to the shop and had everything rechecked and they said everything is fine except the amp. Now 1 dud amp i can believe but 2? I'm convinced the shop people there are just stupid. With both amps what was happening was it would be working and then it shuts off... the power light turns off... its not protect and its not overheating because it can happen right when I turn the stereo on. I have it grounded where the trunk anchor used to be near the tailight, is this a good enough ground and if not where is? Also, is there any way a faulty remote wire, or a bad sub could cause the power to stop running to the amp?
A loose/bad remote wire can definately cause the amp to turn on and off. Also if you miscrimp a wire (on the insulation instead of the wire), be it remote, power, etc can cause problems.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
where i grounded mine in the trunk was one of those tie down things in each corner near the hatch inside the trunk, they are silver and they are used to tie down stuff, that is an awesomely clean ground and no scraping involved, just un-bolt it and then put your ground on and bolt it back on, this ground is really awesome and gets good ratings.

Anyhow abour your cutting out, I have never experienced this before but like eddiemoney said you could have your ohms or bridging wrong

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that's where I have my ground right now, so I guess I can eliminate ground as a problem. I'm almost positive that my remote wire is fried because when i was moving it around my amp was going on and off like crazy. also that kicker amp wasn't working in bridged mode cause i just found out its only 4ohm stable and my solobaric is 2ohm. So i'm gonna post it in the for sale section.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Found the problem, power cable near battery was falling out of the inline fuse holder, the endcap to hold it in place fell off somehow.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Originally posted by BLsurfer@Sep 3 2005, 09:44 AM
that's where I have my ground right now, so I guess I can eliminate ground as a problem. I'm almost positive that my remote wire is fried because when i was moving it around my amp was going on and off like crazy. also that kicker amp wasn't working in bridged mode cause i just found out its only 4ohm stable and my solobaric is 2ohm. So i'm gonna post it in the for sale section.
you could 8-ohm it but that gets kinda confusing, but in your manual it tells you how to do that and you could run the amp at 8-ohms but...wait nevermind, sorry I had to go look at my kicker amp manual..my bad

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.