Scion tC Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today i had to get gas and i was planning on upgrading to 89 octane; but today since gas seemed really cheap i decided to get 91. The prices was only 20 cents more then 87 (87 was 2.49 91 was 2.69) and the past few times i payed over 2.80 so i said what the heck. After driving for a while i noticed that the engine response is much faster and the car actually feels faster and more alive. I really like it. I heard that premium actually can give yo u better gas milege also, so ultimatley i feel it was worth the extra two bucks for better engine performance and more milege .

Does anyone else full up wiht 91 and notice anything different from regular 87? just wondering what your guyses opinions and thoughts about this are.

·
Premium Member
16,847 Posts
Originally posted by vtecKiller+Nov 12 2005, 10:19 PM-->QUOTE (vtecKiller @ Nov 12 2005, 10:19 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-dstutz
@Nov 12 2005, 07:17 PM
I heard that premium actually can give yo u better gas milege also
Not true, using higher octane than is called for is a waste of money, pure and simple. [/b]
no wtf u smoking [/b][/quote]
He is right. There is no benefit to using higher octane fuel on a stock tC. P.E.R.I.O.D.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Sure, it the car requires it or has mods requiring it, no problem.

Putting it into a new tC is a total waste of money, really;)

OK, one exception, if you buy gas from some el cheapo crappola place maybe you will get lucky and get better gas if you pay more, maybe. The octane would not be the reason though, not unless the lower priced one was very low in octane rating.

Rick

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Originally posted by dstutz@Nov 12 2005, 07:17 PM
I heard that premium actually can give yo u better gas milege also
Not true, using higher octane than is called for is a waste of money, pure and simple. [/b][/quote]
i found my 99 beetle got about 80 miles better per tank with 91 vs. 87.

alternately, i did not find that to be the case with the tC.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Here is the description of what octane is from Wikipedia

But bottom line is that unless the engine requires a higher octane (such as 91, which the tC does not), then you are wasting money on nothing. You will receive no increase in power by filling your car with a higher octane fuel. You will receive the same engine performance and fuel mileage if you used 91 octane fuel as you would if you used 87 octane fuel.

Your experience of more power was basically a Placebo Effect but, with a higher octane fuel in place of a worthless pill.

·
Registered
6,498 Posts
1. Premium is 93 here. Is it 91 elsewhere?
2. Putting premium gas in an engine not designed for it can actually decrease performance and gas mileage. Ask Lance.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Originally posted by vtecKiller@Nov 13 2005, 12:56 AM
when i was in australia i think all the gas r 97, 95, 93
the lowest one is still higher octane than one here

is there a different measurement? or all the same?
the measurements are all the same
explaination in my earlier post addresses this

·
Registered
664 Posts
hey all... i've tried different octanes.. like 89 and 93.. compared it back to 87 and actually never have had a difference in mileage.. i was trying out the theory that higher octane was better..

and i had to tell everyone I've never seen a difference so i just went back to 87..

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Originally posted by JFBP4991+Nov 13 2005, 12:04 PM-->QUOTE (JFBP4991 @ Nov 13 2005, 12:04 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-vtecKiller
@Nov 13 2005, 12:56 AM
when i was in australia i think all the gas r 97, 95, 93
the lowest one is still higher octane than one here

is there a different measurement? or all the same?
the measurements are all the same
explaination in my earlier post addresses this [/b]
You are wrong. From the Wikipedia article posted above:
In most countries (including all of Europe and Australia) the "headline" octane that would be shown on the pump is the RON, but in the United States and some other countries the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, sometimes called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI), Road Octane Number (RdON), Pump Octane Number (PON), or (R+M)/2. Because of the 10 point difference noted above, this means that the octane in the United States will be about 4 to 5 points lower than the same fuel elsewhere: 87 octane fuel, the "normal" gasoline in the US and Canada, would be 91 in Europe.[/b]

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
yes but they are the same measurements
so i mean 91 octane here is the same gasoline as 91 octane from europe
the section azrael selected discusses the use of different octane in different parts of the world not the difference in octane.

basically: here the lowest you can buy from a gas station is 87 or 89
but in austraila and europe, the lowest you can buy is 91 or 93
but the 91 you would buy there is the same gas as the 91 you would buy here

·
Registered
6,498 Posts
^^^^ You are completely wrong. You should really try reading what Azrael posted.

·
Premium Member
16,847 Posts
Originally posted by inevitablegod@Nov 13 2005, 12:49 PM
i run 91.
but let's clarify D, you have the supercharger.

·
Ironhead
12,859 Posts
true, and i have noticed a gain in hp and a loss in mpg since i started on 91.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.