Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is this ok for all my innerworking or do u guys think water will be pushed into crevices which it shouldnt go. my girlfriend's father powerwashes her car's enginebay and she doesnt have any issues...however she DID drive it into a puddle/small lake formed during a seriously bad rain and all but completely hydro locked her car. that was terrible. water was in her transmission casing and cylinders....sumhow the car still runs but.....we dont know how long. it sloshed for weeks after that when she turned and would brake.
im getting sidetracked. can/should i power wash my engine bay?

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
why dont u just get that spray meant for engine bays. i have some around somwhere so i can give u the name, but when u spray it on, it foams up and then cleans out everything. u u get it at pepboys

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Can you find out exactly what it is? You just spray it and leave it on?

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I was always iffy about pressurewashing the engine bay, but it's not that bad. My buddy was advocating it, so I said - go ahead - knock yourself out. If my car starts freaking out, I'll take your tC

Anyway - all went great. You can pressurewash areas that are otherwise inaccessible, or impossible to get perfectly clean. Engine bay cleaners / degreasers will not do as good of a job.

All we did was cover up my shortram with a plastic bag (took it easy around it, too), and let the car idle for about 15 minutes while it was drying. I also squeezed the sound / heat shield on the hood to make the water escape faster. Other than that nothing got damaged, not even the alternator that got a full frontal hit by the pressurewasher.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
They would not be the first ones to do it to an older corolla. My coworker was getting one ready for a private party sale and did pretty much the same thing - the water stayed in the spark plug "wells" and eventually shorted something. Not as horrible as in your case, Marty, when they forgot to screw in the plugs before washing the engine

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Shows, mainly. I'll be taking my car to shows where a clean engine compartment is key as well.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Sorry guys, there is a downside to using a pressure washer or a steam cleaner. The liquid gets under the heads of bolts and causes corrosion (white powdery stuff) on the bolt shanks and sometimes even causes bolts to seize.

I charge extra if I find the customer has corroded bolt shanks and I tell them to never use a pressure washer on the engine again. It's super common on dirt bike engines because so many dirt bike guys just go to the car wash and spray the bike down after a muddy ride. It's the worst thing in the world to take apart.

If you are going to wash your engine, just use a garden hose and a solution of liquid laundry soap and water. Laundry soap does an amazing job of cutting grease. Just don't spray hard - light pressure - if it won't get clean, do what autopia says, use a toothbrush or some other plastic brush to apply a little soap and elbow grease.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hmm thanx lo bux. i cringed when i first heard her say that her father pressure washed her engine bay all the time. it was always hard for me to buy that water wouldnt get pushed sumwhere it couldnt come out. she tried to assure me but it never would sit right. its not too dirty yet so if i clean it easy regularly it shouldnt get too bad. a tooth brush tho? dang. that sounds close to punishment.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
FWIW, I worked on Eric G's Honda yesterday and it was obvious it had been pressure washed. Many of the bolts had corroded threads. Most of it wasn't bad until we got to the last bolt holding the gearbox on the engine. It seized in the threads and pulled them out with the fastener. Not only that, but the boss with the threads cracked, so even a thread repair is going to be less than stellar. This is an integral part of the engine block, so the only really decent repair is to replace the engine. Anything else is going to be second best. Think about this before pressure washing any engine.

IMNSHO, It is a very bad idea to pressure wash an engine.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
IMNSHO? whooooooaaa i cant do that one. whats that? and i forgot FWIW too. ugh! i need more brain food.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.