Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back when i owned my accord, i removed the power steering system when it broke at 80k miles... no need for it ina car that small. Well, the TC is smaller and guess what, i want to get rid of it again. but... tc doesn't have seperate belts, so it's kinda hard to to.

This got me thinking a little. There are times when it would be good to have power steering... tight parking lots, GF driving, inspection etc... so currently im looking for a clutch of an AC compressor, and some know how as far as tricking ECU's go...

a Toyota will throw a CEL if the power steering pump is InOp, and i want to avoid having to reset my ecu to clear it... how may i trick it, and does anybody know where i could get a clutch?

On my accord, i gained nearly 4 mpg by taking off the PS, and it sure felt like i was getting more power to the wheels. i do mostly highway driving, where i feel ps is useless

· Registered
418 Posts
But the question is..would you really want to break ur warranty to gain 4 mpg?? Youll be the only tC driver without power steering which is nothing really to be proud of..not only will you be spending bank to look for a "clutch" but youll also be having a hard time to tricking the ECU into thinking that the power steering system is there..but uhh if u think its worth voiding warranty to gain SOME power if that, and 4 MPG tell me how it goes..

· Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't see where it would void the warrenty, not gonna harm any part of the system. I see how removing the system would void it. If i need spacers to align it, and i don't do it right so it throws a belt, they won't replace it for me. but otherwise i see no reason. Power steering is a waste in my opinion, doesn't really do anything for you once your moving. U can also feel the road better without it.

Im gonna run to the junk yard i think for a siezed A/C compressor should be cheap.

hopefully the relay will be built in, so i can just hook up and on/off switch

*Edit*
Found this link while looking,
http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=87973&page=1
seems that im not the only one who dislikes PS... but ideas from others are always appreciated...

· Registered
1,686 Posts
i had a '91 civic w/ no power steering... it was fun to drive... but w/ the tires on the tC... i'd like to have some assistance... but you're right... the power steering does seem a little excessive... i can drive with my pinky no problem

· Registered
42 Posts
your not going to throw a CEL by removing/bypassing powersteering

there is no "powersteering" code or "a/c" code in any car

goodluck getting rid of powersteering
i dont see it happening
i don't see why you would want to do that to a new car anyway

· Registered
733 Posts
Hmmm,
I can see some merit in removing it, I wonder how many race cars have it, some do I know but most likely, very few:)

I am working on plans to remove the ABS (Alot of BS) I hate it!!!!!!

I am also working on plans for a 1.5:1 steering quickener install:)

Rick

· Registered
339 Posts
id leave it be, i have an 88 civic w/o power steering and it was still a bitch to turn the wheel when it was sitting still, imagine doing that in a tc that weighs like 3000 lbs..

· Registered
42 Posts
Originally posted by raamaudio@May 26 2005, 10:08 PM
Hmmm,
I can see some merit in removing it, I wonder how many race cars have it, some do I know but most likely, very few:)

I am working on plans to remove the ABS (Alot of BS) I hate it!!!!!!

I am also working on plans for a 1.5:1 steering quickener install:)

Rick
yes ABS does suck

· Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
id leave it be, i have an 88 civic w/o power steering and it was still a bitch to turn the wheel when it was sitting still, imagine doing that in a tc that weighs like 3000 lbs..[/b]
Yeah, thats why i wanted to try to mate an electric clutch from an A/C compressor to it, so i can turn it on or off if i want it.

I had a 92 4 door accord, which is a fair amount heavier than the TC, and liked it much more without P/S.. you just had to plan a little more... like keep rolling so you can turn the wheel when pulling out of a parking space

· Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you actually want to remove the whole system? or just disable it? you can just pull the breaker/relays, and then pull apart the dash and remove the ABS LED... simple fix that can be reversed with relative ease... but you'll still have the system in the car which adds weight

Forget the link, but the federal government did a study, and found that ABS has not actually made the highways any safer. people now rely on the system rather than good driving skills/habits so it's just as dangerous. There wasn't a decrease in accidents with the advent of ABS... so many experts question the usefullness of the system, beyond the selling factor of "ABS"

· Registered
272 Posts
the only thing that abs is good for is limited traction situations like snow ice or rain. there is no driver that can pulse the brakes 15-25 times per second like even 5yr old abs systems can. I DO believe that ABS would be alot better if it had an on/off switch. so when its pouring out or snowing that kind of thing to turn it on. dry pavement i would agree that Id rather not have abs

· Registered
733 Posts
Since pulling a fuse disables it, a switch could be placed inline with the fuse, on either side of it and then you have selectable ABS:)

I may reconsider and do the above but I have a bid desire to remove it, first car I have owned with it!

Rick

· Registered
1,686 Posts
a switch would be better... on rainy days... the coefficent of friction goes to hell.... you break hard, and one wheel touches the paint, it locks up, the others are still spinning, not fun.... i speak from previous experience... lucky for me... i was the only car on the road

· Registered
2,144 Posts
Originally posted by striptyler@May 27 2005, 06:00 AM
id leave it be, i have an 88 civic w/o power steering and it was still a bitch to turn the wheel when it was sitting still, imagine doing that in a tc that weighs like 3000 lbs..
Yeah, thats why i wanted to try to mate an electric clutch from an A/C compressor to it, so i can turn it on or off if i want it.

I had a 92 4 door accord, which is a fair amount heavier than the TC, and liked it much more without P/S.. you just had to plan a little more... like keep rolling so you can turn the wheel when pulling out of a parking space [/b][/quote]
I'm not sure which 4 door accord you had, but none of them were over 3,000lbs - http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/spec_Ext...VIP&tab=2&sub=4

· Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had the EX, with 2 alpine type R-12's in seperate enclosures, amps, and lots of dynomat, plus, being a nomad college student about half my life in there.., i don't expect at a given time i was less than 3200 lbs

anyways, it's late, gonna look tomorrow but most places are closed

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.