Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
call me crazy but i dont think anyone will be "specialized" in the 2azfe head cuz hardly anyone has done it yet. if u find someone who is experience with porting 4valve heads, import or domestic, just discuss ur goals as for performance with them, either turbo, na, supercharged how fast, etc

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
yeah, just look up a good shop, go in, and talk with them. there hasnt been a history of camry racing here in the states or anything, so it gonna be new to anyone i would think.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
These guys are in Reseda. Not exactly NorCal, but they are really good. If I wasn't going to do the work myself, I would send my stuff to them. They have done some very high profile work for import engines, they know their stuff.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by Ryan'sTc@Feb 3 2005, 08:43 PM
Does anybody know a good shop in northern california that specializes in portting heads for the 2az-fe engine. Or has anybody already done this and if so how much of a difference has it made?
Forgot to answer part 2 of your question. Porting will depend entirely on how well the original factory job was done. The biggest gains are in the valve job and the last 1/2" of the port where the head and seat meet. Sometimes it's really good and you'll only see 3-5% improvement. Sometimes it's really bad and you might see 10-12% improvement. Other times, the cores shift when the head is cast and the ports are so badly misaligned there is little you can do but find another head. I have seen this even on turbo Supra heads. Luckily, the head was getting bigger valves, so there was room to work the step out, but it was really close.

So the real answer is, there is no way to tell what kind of increase you will see FOR SURE until the head is off and on the flow bench. I would suggest going with a good street port for the tC unless you are setting out on a high dollar engine building program. This is just another reason I'm interested in finding a 5 speed Camry engine and transmission.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Yes. You need to tell them that before they start work. They need to know what your hp goals are and anything else you intend to do to the engine (intake, exhaust, type of FI, rpm limits, etc,) or they will not be able to give you the best solution. However the best solution may be expensive and include new valves, springs, and retainers. Ferrea and Manley make excellent valves, but I don't know if anyone is making springs and retainers for the 2AZ yet. They may not be necessary, but depending on your application, might be good insurance. The article on headwork I wrote for to4r.com covers the basics and most of them apply to the 2AZ, with the obvious exception to the 2JZ-GTE specific stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.