Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my tC for about a month, and recently my shifter will pop out of gear into neutral. I have always drove a manual and never experienced this with any of my other vehicles. Whats going on?!

· Registered
5,132 Posts
Originally posted by KatiestC@Dec 14 2005, 08:29 AM
I have had my tC for about a month, and recently my shifter will pop out of gear into neutral. I have always drove a manual and never experienced this with any of my other vehicles. Whats going on?!
Was this out of first gear? My tranny throws me out of first sometimes when I go to shift from first to second, but it's never popped out of gear unless clutch was in and I was giving it a nudge to shift. This only happens from first to second, too--I have a feeling it might be the synchros doing it.

-Ed

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's mainly in first gear but driving to work this morning it came out of third and i wasn't touching it.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks - I'll go have it checked out, the people at the dealership should know me by first name by now with all my problems. Thanks again for everyone's help!

· Registered
801 Posts
Originally posted by KatiestC@Dec 14 2005, 09:30 AM
Thanks - I'll go have it checked out, the people at the dealership should know me by first name by now with all my problems. Thanks again for everyone's help!
ouch.... that is teh suck... my dealer is ordering a new headliner for me... damn thing has a cend in it underneath the sunroof on both driver and passenger sides...

· Registered
1,662 Posts
Sometimes when im gunning it in first when i shift into second it kinda throws itself out of first once i put in the clutch and apply just a bit of pressure backwards ( going into 2nd)

· Registered
200 Posts
Yeah, definately get that checked by the dealer. Possible syncro/gear problem.

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Niether gears nor synchros would cause that issue. Bad/bent shifter fork or synchro hub with bad detent springs. Those are the only two things that would make it pop out of gear if there is no problem with the shifter cables themselves.

No matter what, it needs to be investigated and repaired under warranty by the dealer.

· Registered
5,132 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Dec 17 2005, 01:54 PM
Niether gears nor synchros would cause that issue. Bad/bent shifter fork or synchro hub with bad detent springs. Those are the only two things that would make it pop out of gear if there is no problem with the shifter cables themselves.

No matter what, it needs to be investigated and repaired under warranty by the dealer.
What about it popping out of first into neutral after a mild nudge with the clutch fully engaged?

-Ed

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
If it pops out by itself, it's a problem. If you have to apply any force to it, it is not a problem.

· Registered
200 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Dec 17 2005, 01:54 PM

Yes and no. Either the synchro dog teeth are so worn down they wont hold the gear in or the shift fork is worn/FUBAR.

· Registered
266 Posts
Originally posted by uberingram+Dec 18 2005, 08:10 AM-->QUOTE (uberingram @ Dec 18 2005, 08:10 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-lo bux racer
@Dec 17 2005, 01:54 PM
Niether gears nor synchros would cause that issue.  Bad/bent shifter fork or synchro hub with bad detent springs.  Those are the only two things that would make it pop out of gear if there is no problem with the shifter cables themselves.

Yes and no. Either the synchro dog teeth are so worn down they wont hold the gear in or the shift fork is worn/FUBAR. [/b]
I agree with you on this too. I have to disagree with Lo Bux on the syncros not able to cause a gear pop out problem. Unless there is something unique to the Toyota transmission...a slight machining error in the syncros caused many a new Volvo transmission to do this in the early 80s...I got a fractured thumb to prove it when my hand happened to be too close then is popped out with a great deal of force. Dealers were prone to say there was no problem because it was hard to duplicate when you wanted it to happen. They finally found the problem and it turned out to be related to batch of bad machining. Oh course it is not the only thing that can cause it to happen.

· Registered
200 Posts
Originally posted by Geneo@Dec 18 2005, 11:43 AM
Oh course it is not the only thing that can cause it to happen.
Also true. I've seen enough debris cause popping out of gear as well as low/improper transmission fluid.

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
No again. Synchros don't have dog teeth. The outer ring of the synchro hub has teeth (actually splines). The synchro is just a full metal clutch between the synchro hub and the gear that brakes relative speed between the shaft and the gear.

It's a brand new transmission. The dogs aren't worn on the gear or the synchro hub. Either the shifter fork is bent, or the detent device (balls and springs) in the synchro hub is not working. Those are the only things holding the transmission in gear.

· Registered
200 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Dec 18 2005, 03:28 PM
No again.  Synchros don't have dog teeth.  The outer ring of the synchro hub has teeth (actually splines).  The synchro is just a full metal clutch between the synchro hub and the gear that brakes relative speed between the shaft and the gear.

It's a brand new transmission.  The dogs aren't worn on the gear or the synchro hub.  Either the shifter fork is bent, or the detent device (balls and springs) in the synchro hub is not working.  Those are the only things holding the transmission in gear.
What's the point of it being new? I've pulled an LS tranny with less than 500 miles on the ticker and found worn "splines" (cry me a river). I've seen more of these problems from worn gears/synchros wtih teeth/splines/whateverthefuckyouwannacallthelm that later on cause a bent fork then it just being a bent fork.

Edit: To stop the never-stopping-lance-pissing-match just take the damn thing to the dealer.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.