Scion tC Forums banner

poor gas mileage?

2K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  FrostbytetC 
#1 ·
I get about an average of 320 miles from a full tank, is that normal or low? I have a stock car except for the 19s which i know probly have something to do with it if it is low.

#2 ·
Doesn't sound unusual for around town driving at all. If you got that on a highway run, I'd say you have an issue.

#7 ·
Mileage sounds in the ballpark for all of you. I get about 23 in my usual in town driving. I have achieved an amazing..in my book..34 mpg on the highway in 3 real flat runs to Newport News from Richmond and back on one tank of gas one week. That is the only time I checked the highway mileage. That was at a pretty steady 71 mph and no mashing the right foot down. Mileage varies greatly with the pressure of the right foot...

#8 ·
I get anywhere from 280-290 on a tank of gas. almost 95% city driving tho. So not unexpected. Plus I'm a leadfoot. And it's freezing cold here so it idles higher in the mornings. I'll see if summer is better.

#9 ·
i get about 22-23, mostly city driving. gotten 27 one time but that was mostly freeway. i aint to happy about the mileage. does anybody know if having a sound system in the car lowers the mileage?

#11 ·
i havent done the math on it, but i generally get a little over 200 hundred miles on a half a tank. the second half drops like a rock after that though. is that usual with this car? my old honda did that too, so im not too worried, just wondering

#12 ·
The gas gauge is not linear. You are not getting 200 miles on half a tank and way less on the second half; the gauge just sucks so it appears that way. Every Toyota I've driven (seven or eight total) has been like this.

#13 ·
every car i have owned has been like that. all a little different. my fiat gauge dropped quickly, slowed to a crawl over the halfway mark, then dropped from 1/4 to E quickly.

#16 ·
^^^ thats exactly what i would say i do. gas mileage copy cat.

we must drive similar.

#17 ·
I'm really looking forward to the drive down to Florida before my cruise next week...it will be the first opportunity I've had to do a full tank of highway driving. I'll let you guys know what the mileage looks like.

#18 ·
On pure highway driving, I was able to get 410 miles before deciding to pull off. Typically, I get ~25 to 27 on a mix.

Then again, I have a manual, and pull stunts off like putting it 5th when I am going down hill at 40 mph. I know well enough when to drop a gear or two when I stop coasting.

Your mileage may vary!

#19 ·
My tC really depended on how I drove. For my first 2,000 miles, breaking in the motor I was pulling 26-27mpg and that was nearly 100% city driving. After that when I started getting on it a bit, that quickly dropped to 21-23. It really does depend on your driving style. Low 20s isn't unheard of for a 4 banger when it come to gas mileage, but it does seem a bit low. Either it runs rich stock, or i'd say it uses alot of fuel to make that 160hp. Either way its worth it to me. I can't wait to get mine back on the road! Then i'm taking her all the way from Buffalo, NY, to Stuart Florida the first week in june. I can't wait... finally get to stretch her legs!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.