Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Can someone tell me a little bit about Poly fill inside a sub enclosure. What does it do or not do to help the sound? Should I put it in my sealed sub box? Where do I get this stuff? Whats the science behind it?
thanks
Adam

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
As quoted from crutchfield: "The sound wave coming off the back of your subwoofer reacts with the air contained in the box. Poly-Fil stuffing slows down sound waves inside the box, making the subwoofer perform as if the box were bigger."
I have never used polyfill, i tend to build my box to maximum sub spec, a lot of people swear by it though. You can get it at most audio places, online Crutchfield or PartsExpress

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Yes... also known as pillow stuffing and if I'm not mistaken.... you should fluff it up a bit.

·
Registered
453 Posts
if u put it into a vented box, it will make for a much smoother and tighter bass....

·
Registered
112 Posts
as stated above, if your going with a sealed enclosure then i would reccomend poly fill it, but sealed enclosures are for SQ=Sound Quality, if you want some thumpness, do a sql box= ported enclosure, tuned it around 30hz-34hz depending the sub your getting. I would pick ported over sealed any day

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
WAHCHING Posted on Jul 28 2005, 12:11 AM
  as stated above, if your going with a sealed enclosure then i would reccomend poly fill it, but sealed enclosures are for SQ=Sound Quality, if you want some thumpness, do a sql box= ported enclosure, tuned it around 30hz-34hz depending the sub your getting. I would pick ported over sealed any day [/b]
It is all a taste preference, i prefer sealed because it just sounds so much cleaner and tighter than a ported box, and takes up less of my precious cargo room.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
This is true I have never owned a ported box for that factor alone, I don't want thumpness I love accuracy, clean tight bass. Pollyfill is awesome I have used it ever since i have had subs and haven't regreted it since.

Sure you loose a little efficiency but hey its a small price to pay for clean tight sounding bass.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.